• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knowledge or Faith?

Does knowledge or faith take precedance to you?

• Knowledge

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Faith

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Because they are different things.
I do not think they are not mutually exclusive things, even if they are "different." How would having knowledge exclude faith, or having faith exclude knowledge?

Never mind; that's not relevant to the OP. Although I still wonder whether or not this is even a sensible question, I would answer that faith comes first, as my "knowledge" is provisional, based on the assumption (faith) that it is possible to have knowledge. Pragmatically, the things I think I know seem to work, therefore my faith is justified...just enough to act as if it is true.

Last edited:

buddhist

Faith takes precedence, in the sense that it is the initial impulse that (should) drive a person towards validating that faith through personal knowledge.

If that faith cannot be verified through personal knowledge, or that faith is proven wrong through personal knowledge, then that faith must be abandoned.

If someone possesses faith but does nothing with it, then it is a "dead faith" (one which goes nowhere).

ThirtyThree

Which takes precedence to you and why

Knowledge or Faith?

Not all knowledge is of factual matters. For example, knowledge of something false still makes the thing false. I can have knowledge of flat Earth theories. In fact, I can know everything about it. Does that make flat Earth theory true?

Therefore, faith and knowledge are of equal value to me.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Not all knowledge is of factual matters. For example, knowledge of something false still makes the thing false. I can have knowledge of flat Earth theories. In fact, I can know everything about it. Does that make flat Earth theory true?

Therefore, faith and knowledge are of equal value to me.

This seems to be a non-answer.
Knowledge is of factual matters, it can be a fact that you know something to be false.
Knowledge that something, a flat Earth in this case, is false might be useful to you.

Faith can only be put on the same level as knowledge in subjective matters, otherwise it isn't even a contest.

InChrist

Free4ever
Which takes precedence to you and why

Knowledge or Faith?
Both...

For the Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding .. Proverbs 2;6

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. Proverbs 9:10