• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knowing what you know about current events and politics...

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Do you think people in their 20's have anything to worry about/should be preparing for in the near future?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you think people in their 20's have anything to worry about/should be preparing for in the near future?

When I was in my 20s, I worried about the reckless irresponsibility and military adventurism that had gripped the country, and I realized that eventually, it would take its toll on the political culture of the country.

Be prepared for things to never really change and problems to never really get resolved.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Probably no more than at any other time, even if the situation in the Ukraine conflict could develop into something similar to the Cuban Missile Crisis, and where ultimatums were tossed about - but fortunately no missiles, nuclear or otherwise. I was 17 then and it did look to many of us as being rather serious, but then the USSR and America did have their nuclear weapons pointed at each other and mostly over ideologies.

This is not so in the current situation, with it more being a land grab by Russia (seen by the West) versus Russia getting what it is entitled to (the Russian view). I doubt even Putin can persuade the rest of the world that Russia itself is threatened so as to go nuclear. So it might get messy but he would have to be the dumbest fool to use nukes over this conflict. The ideology has gone even if he tries to portray Russia as standing up against the nasty West.

Keep calm and carry on regardless should be the motto. :oops:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The US empire is close to collapse. Empires don't bow out gracefully. They militarize, and strike out, or turn inward on themselves.
The climate crises is unstoppable. We might slow it a bit, but I anticipate catastrophe and likely another mass extinction.

PureX

Veteran Member
When I was 20 there was no internet. Only NASA had computers. There were no cell phones. No 'smart' machines except for mayby in an airplane cockpit. No surveillance cameras anywhere but in bank lobbies. There were no armed gunmen murdering kids and teachers in the schools, or nightclubs, or shopping centers. I never once in all my 20+ years on Earth had to even think about such a possibility. The only shocking murders that I recall on the news were the Kennedy murders. And later Dr. King. The economy was booming and even racism was finally being edged out of social acceptability.

But the darkness was all around, and looming large. I turned 20 in 1977. The economy had just tanked. Drugs were fast becoming a pestilence where they had been just an experimental form of self-entertainment. There were gasoline shortages. The Middle East was blowing up mostly due to our heavy-handed interference on behalf of big oil. Milton Feidman was preaching the gospel of "greed is good" while most of my young contemporaries and I were wallowing in booze, drugs, and punk rock. By 1980 we were already sliding well down the proverbial sh*tter. Popular music was being made by machines in corporate culture production factories, but no one seemed to care. Reagan was blaming the government for everything so he could convince the public to sell their souls and all their publicly owned assets to his rich cronies for private profit. And everyone just went along with it because, well, who doesn't like to hate and blame someone? Especially the government? And by the late 80s the sting of all that gorified greed and nihilistic selfishness running amok was being felt by almost everyone. The republicans were engineering one big money bamboozle after another, making themselves and their rich cronies even richer. Most of the democrats went along with it so they could ride the gravy train, too. And then came the computers. So now the rich could find every penny the average citizen had to his name, and create laws and algorithms for getting hold of every cent. And since they had so weakened the government through a decade of hate and blame, they could afford to buy them off and stop them from actually trying to protect the public from all that glorious capitalist greed, as it should have done.

And look where this sad slippery slope has brought us, now. If I were 20 years old today, I'd be seriously looking to get the hell out of Dodge. Because the stupid train has not yet run out of track, here, and its going to keep getting worse until the really BIG calamity happens. And when it does, no one is going to want to be here. Cause it's gonna HURT, and hurt BAD. And whomever is left standing is going to have to start again from scratch, and rebuild. Generational rebuilding. To repair the generational destruction.

I feel bad for the young people, today. We have sold their futures out for our own stupidity and selfishness.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a son who is going to turn 17 soon. The route the US is on scares us both. I told him that when he's choosing a life path, it may be helpful to find a skill/career that is desired in a country he'd prefer to be in.

But for those of us who can't/choose not to go anywhere, I'd say the advice would be about standard. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and don't forget to wash behind your ears.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
In the late nineteen fifties, I remember the craze was building bomb shelters in your home. Magazines published how to make cheap shelters by using wooden beams laid diagonally against cellar walls forming half the letter 'A'. The worry was the commies had the atomic bomb.
President Eisenhower was asked how we cope with this situation......I thought Eisenhower had the correct answer....He said,(paraphrasing) Our ancestors plowed fields and planted crops with rifles on their backs. The reason being in the surrounding hills there could be renegade indigenous people who would kill and scalp them, rape their women, and sell their kids. Somehow those folks handled that pressure and passed on to us a country with great possibilities.....Now it's our turn...

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
In the late nineteen fifties, I remember the craze was building bomb shelters in your home. Magazines published how to make cheap shelters by using wooden beams laid diagonally against cellar walls forming half the letter 'A'. The worry was the commies had the atomic bomb.
President Eisenhower was asked how we cope with this situation......I thought Eisenhower had the correct answer....He said,(paraphrasing) Our ancestors plowed fields and planted crops with rifles on their backs. The reason being in the surrounding hills there could be renegade indigenous people who would kill and scalp them, rape their women, and sell their kids. Somehow those folks handled that pressure and passed on to us a country with great possibilities.....Now it's our turn...
I remember this as well, and as a matter of fact near the high school I attended there was a place that sold metal bomb shelters nearby that I used to walk by regularly.

Hey, I guess we are pretty much of the same "vintage", eh?