• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knowing vs Understanding

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Yes :) i just wonder, did the egyptians really build the pyramids ?
I think so. (But that’s not ‘knowing’, is it? Still, I’m pretty sure.)

The reason I think so, is because my POV is similar to von Däniken’s: instead of the influence of “aliens”, though, I submit the influence was “the sons of God”, mentioned in Genesis 6:1-4.

But I don’t want to derail your thread.

Good night to you, my friend.

RestlessSoul

Knowledge is gained through lived experience. Understanding is arrived at through the application of the intellect. But how do we unify these two paths into one ultimate destination, which we may call truth? That, I would suggest, requires a third and far more elusive quality, wisdom.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In your view what is the difference between knowing and understanding?

I guess it would depend on the context. For example, with languages, someone might say "I know English," which might mean they know it enough to be able to speak. If they say "I understand English," then they might understand it on a passive level but not really be able to speak it.

PureX

Veteran Member
To "know" something is to have a personal experience of it. To "understand" something is to successfully placed that experience within the context of all our other accumulated experiences.

It's always wise, however, to keep in mind that we could always be wrong.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Knowing requires a direct experience.
Understanding does not require the direct experience, instead it collects facts about the subject and their relationship.
You can know without understanding but can't understand without knowing (first).
I disagree. A blind person can understand the concept of color as wavelengths of light, eventhough they haven't known the colors themself.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As I see things....
Facts are the things "known".
"Understanding" is about knowing & being
able to use relationships between facts.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

To know a fact is to be aware of it. To understand is to know ABOUT it - why it exists, what is signifies, etc.. I know that a lot of people never left Florida prior to the hurricane's arrival. I understand that some don't have the means to evacuate, and some are just stubborn or want to protect their homes. I understand that many will need rescue and some will die.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
To me it means .
Knowing = what you learnd by reading and what scholars has told you.

Understanding come from doing and practicing.
I kinda see it the opposite way.

Either one can be taught or learned from experience, but to use an analogy, "knowing" is the mindset of a mechanic while understanding is the mindset of an engineer.

The mechanic may have the sequence for tightening head bolts on an engine memorized - knowledge - but the engineer will be able to say what the maximum allowable stress on the components is and why the tightening sequence is what it is... understanding.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I just don't believe egyptology has the true answer:) i believe the pyramids was there long before the pharaos used them.
Why do you think that? To me it seems illogical for someone to build the pyramids before them and the pharaohs to appropriate them for their own tombs. There is evdence indeed that they used them for their own tombs.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
I disagree. A blind person can understand the concept of color as wavelengths of light, eventhough they haven't known the colors themself.

They'd know what color is all by themselves, without learning this from others who see?
They'd really understand colors? The knowing is secondhand, and only theoretical for them.
That's partial understanding, at best.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Why do you think that? To me it seems illogical for someone to build the pyramids before them and the pharaohs to appropriate them for their own tombs. There is evdence indeed that they used them for their own tombs.

Actually, pyramids were not built as tombs. They are the most durable remains of a temple complex.
The mummified pharaoh is actually an idol, a demi-god who resides in the temple to be worshiped.
There are plenty of tombs other than them, the Valley of the Kings, where Tut was, for example.

wellwisher

To me it means .
Knowing = what you learnd by reading and what scholars has told you.

Understanding come from doing and practicing.

This is a good summary.

As a practical example we have pure and applied science. The goal of pure science is to define reality as it is. Applied science understands this knowledge of natural reality, and will try to extrapolate these basic principles of this knowledge, into new things and areas; man made. One can know something, but deeper understanding often comes from applications; doing, which can allow one to take any base knowledge base into new areas that may not be natural or part of the original pure science.

Pure science is given to all for free. We can learn these things about the universe in schools and libraries. Applied science is where knowledge is often protected, patented or classified, since it has extra features, beyond pure science, that can extend knowledge for fun and profit.

Applied science theory may often stay exclusive and hidden, at least until the state of the art reaches even higher levels. Applied scientists often have tricks up their sleeve that may not be seen as part of the base science knowledge, since that data and theory is often protected. Pure science is more transparent, at least until publication, so credit given is given to the right person. Applied science is often left in the fog, which can make it appear to be less based on hard fact and knowledge.