• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KJV "OT" quoters: a recommendation ...

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That sounds like interpretation to me. You an view it however you like. /shrug
You can't 'interpret' "the young woman" to "a virgin" from Hebrew to English. It cannot be done.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
No, we wouldn't all be Jewish because that's not how Judaism works. Christianity, in its own texts, completely mutilates verses of the Tanach, especially Paul - he does this a lot. It's in there for everyone to see. It's also not an 'interpretation'- it's often complete and deliberate mistranslation to make the verses match what their own books say.

Sure, this is easy enough for even me to figure out. However Christians see Paul as having the authority to make corrections to the Jewish texts in the sense of proper understanding.

A lot of Christians I've spoken to recommend learning Greek. In order to correctly understand Paul.

Christians are likely to translate from Greek Septuagint as they believe this translation was guided by the Holy Spirit. I don't know why Jews would be using the KJV. Generally that's the only folks that'd be interested in translating from the Tanakh.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Using the kjv is fine if you invest in a strongs concordance. This tool can help give a better idea if what the original meaning is for Christians. But to outright just discredit the kjv all together is ridiculous.

Enoch07

Premium Member
It seems pretty ignorant to assume a 1611 English version trumps the original in Hebrew!! And that a Greek translation is a better source than the original Hebrew!!

Depends on who your asking.

For Christians with a Strongs Concordance it's fine.

For Jewish folk not so much. They obviously should stick with their own scripture.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Except that you Christians seem to have appropriated their Jewish scripture and claimed it as you own!!

Appropriated! :tearsofjoy:

No, we just have a slightly different take on it is all. We're not trying to replace Judaism.

Do you think Islam has appropriated Judasim as well?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Yes you don't trust Hebrew speaking people to translate Hebrew, how intelligent is that???

Enoch07

Premium Member
Yes you don't trust Hebrew speaking people to translate Hebrew, how intelligent is that???

They do a wonderful job I am sure.

But I don't read the Tanakh.

Because I am not literate in Hebrew.

I do not trust anyone (not even my own parents) to read something to me and give me their interpretation of it. I want to develop my own interpretation first, and ask for help if needed. Its called skepticism, it's rather useful.

I would rather read it myself from the Bible. English is my primary language. So that is the languge I prefer to read with. Even if it does have some mistranslations. But thats why I have a Strongs Concordance to help me translate any word back to its original Hebrew, Greek, or Aramaic meaning.

Lyndon

Premium Member
You do read the Tanakh, you just read it translated into English, and not always well translated as our posters have pointed out.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
For English language speakers, the KJV translation is up there with Shakespeare as one of the great masterpieces of our literature.
Literary flourish is not the same as fidelity. "Thou shalt not kill" may sound more poetic than "you shall not murder," but that makes it no less incorrect.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Enoch, FYI the Tanakh is the Hebrew scripture your OT is translated from, did you even know that??

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Because I am not literate in Hebrew.

I do not trust anyone (not even my own parents) to read something to me and give me their interpretation of it. I want to develop my own interpretation first, and ask for help if needed. Its called skepticism, it's rather useful.
You're not literate in Hebrew but you want to develop your own interpretation of Hebrew text. No, that is not scepticism, it's idiocy.