• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KJV "OT" quoters: a recommendation ...

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It's his brain-baby. Even calling it the "authorized version" is prideful because he authorized it, rather than the text (as the supposed word of god) being self-authorative.
It was mostly because there were unauthorised versions around and all books at the time had to be authorised, especially ecclesiastical books.

DavidFirth

I hope you're aware at least that the above is not from the "OT", therefore it is irrelevant to the OP and what's being discussed.

So? The post was addressed to the person who had replied to me, not you. So don't worry about it. Your opinion has been noted.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
They corrupted their version sometime after AD 70. If their version doesn't match the Bible then it's wrong. Just that simple.
There's no single "Bible", nor one single translation, so you simply do not know what you're talking about.
No, but the Holy Spirit confirms truth to the believer.
Then the HS must be a schizophrenic because of there being literally hundreds of Christian denominations and thousands of independents, most claiming that they're right and "inspired" by the HS.

DavidFirth

There's no single "Bible", nor one single translation, so you simply do not know what you're talking about.
Then the HS must be a schizophrenic because of there being literally hundreds of Christian denominations and thousands of independents, most claiming that they're right and "inspired" by the HS.

Look, you have no idea what you're talking about. You have the world to guide you, I have God. So you just go ahead and assume you're right. Meanwhile, I know I'm right because I know God's right and His word is right.

Whatever you or any other person else says will not move me.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Look, you have no idea what you're talking about. You have the world to guide you, I have God. So you just go ahead and assume you're right. Meanwhile, I know I'm right because I know God's right and His word is right.

Whatever you or any other person else says will not move me.
The very death of discussion. What are mountains of evidence and observable patterns in literary development when they can be debunked just by saying "God says different!"

Someone help me here. Apparently @DavidFirth believes that some insideous Jews, living after the destruction of the Second Temple, anticipated a Christian canon that would not be codified for centuries, and spitefully time-traveled back three centuries to in order to modify Hebrew Scripture in response.

Do I have this right?

Think I saw a film about that.

Michael J Fox played a Jewish scribe with a DeLorean who had several whacky adventures centred around corrupting the Word of God.

DavidFirth

The very death of discussion. What are mountains of evidence and observable patterns in literary development when they can be debunked just by saying "God says different!"

Now you're getting it. God is always right. Men are always wrong when they oppose Him. There is hope for you yet.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
... actually, two:
  1. Don't.
  2. If you're too too cheap, too lazy, and or too disinterested to acquire a decent Tanakh, at least consult a reasonably good translation from a Jewish source, e.g., Sefaria

I don't see where it matters much.

Some folks wrote down some ideas they believe were true about God. Other folks took that, translated into what they thought was true about God.

The truth about God is not pertinent here, only whether you believe the folks who wrote what they wrote about God.

Jews have their accepted authority, Christians have theirs. Neither have any need to prove or require any acceptance of those authorities by anyone not belonging to their religious belief.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You really don't even begin to understand how foolish you are as you know next to nothing about the selection of the canons and what is has led to in regards to varying translations and interpretations.

Reminds of me of this analogy: "to a child, at tree is simple; to a botanist, a tree is complex". DF, let me encourage you to strive to become a "botanist"-- study.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Now you're getting it. God is always right. Men are always wrong when they oppose Him. There is hope for you yet.
Don't think that in any way "getting it" was agreeing with you or finding it to be right. I think such a line of thinking is not only intellectually dishonest, it's incredibly foolish and arrogant. How can one truly know their faith - or their god - without understanding where their beliefs came from?

Nakosis hit the nail on the head. We hear very little from your god, but quite a bit from people claiming to speak for him.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I don't see where it matters much.

Some folks wrote down some ideas they believe were true about God. Other folks took that, translated into what they thought was true about God.

The truth about God is not pertinent here, only whether you believe the folks who wrote what they wrote about God.

Jews have their accepted authority, Christians have theirs. Neither have any need to prove or require any acceptance of those authorities by anyone not belonging to their religious belief.
If and when you have something to say that's actually relevant to this thread, be sure to share it ...