• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KJV - Good translation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Deut 13:1 said:
Okay, then why were you posting in a thread asking about the accuracy of the KJV as a translation?

It seems pretty clear to me Aqualung isn't interested in the fact that translations are pretty much the same, but about the accuracy of the translation, which you've admitted you don't know Hebrew or Greek.

So can you please explain why you're posting off topic material? :)
I have a hunch you're going to love this....

I guess I misunderstood what she was asking...

GASP!:eek:

Deut 13:1

FFH said:
We do read it and we're only comparing different versions of the Bible.
Really?

What does this say?

כִּי סְבָבוּנִי, כְּלָבִים: עֲדַת מְרֵעִים, הִקִּיפוּנִי; כָּאֲרִי, יָדַי וְרַגְלָי

FFH said:
I think they they all do not differ that much but all have the basic teachings intact, with some things added here and there.
And what happens when all the teams of translators get it wrong?

FFH said:
It would be great if we could all read Hebrew and Greek. Maybe we should ask for a recall on all Bibles and have the Bible retranslated today from Greek and Hebrew to English. It could be easily done with the aid of computers.
You totally missed the point I'm making.

FFH said:
Why do we have to settle on a translation that King James commissioned to be done.
Why settle for a translation at all?

FFH said:
Is it because we don't have all of the original text? How much of the original text of the Old Testament and New Testament do we have? Can anyone answer this? And if we have most of it why has it NOT been retranslated to compare it with the KJV of the Bible?
Again, why SETTLE FOR A TRANSLATION???

Why must your relationship w/ G-d be on your terms vs. His.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Yeah...I too agree to disagree...(insert melodramic sigh) :)

But...where is this flawless translation...

I don't read Greek or Hebrew...I read English...

dawny0826 said:
But...where is this flawless translation...

I don't read Greek or Hebrew...I read English...
And where have I hinted at the belief of 1 perfect translation? ? ?

If you're truley interested in showing your love for G-d and your commitment to whatever sect of Christianity you are, you would find the time to learn what G-d actually said, not what your translators say.

Personally, I think if you want to study the TNK (Old Testament) get Jewish translations, multiple of them, most have TONS of commentary explaining the verses, so even if the translations use different english words, the commentary about what the verse means will be identical. To study the NT, I'm sure they have similar books.

Again, why not learn Hebrew/Greek?

FFH

Veteran Member
We have the Torah which is true and correct scripture. According to scripture nothing will be lost from "the law".

Matthew 5: 18

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fullfilled."

From this scripture we can tell that the first 5 books of the Old Testament, written in it's original language, are true and correct. They have not been translate or tampered with by man. This is the most pure scripture that we have, according to this scripture, written in it's true original language.

The Law or the Torah.

It would be great to translate this today with the aid of computers, or an expert in the field, just to see what they come up with.

FFH

Veteran Member
I would like to do an excercise. Someone pick out a scripture in the Bible at random, or a favorite scripture, and we will all post our favorite translated verse of this scripture. I think we would be surprised at how much we are all on the same page.

FFH said:
We have the Torah which is true and correct scripture. According to scripture nothing will be lost from "the law".

Matthew 5: 18

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fullfilled."
Do you know Greek? Is that what it truley says?

And if nothing is lost from scripture, why don't you take some time and explain my rebuttals to this, which has gone unanswered for month.

Furthermore the idea of a NC that supercedes the Torah is idiotic and unfound in scripture.

FFH said:
From this scripture we can tell that the first 5 books of the Old Testament, written in it's original language, are true and correct. They have not been translate or tampered with by man. This is the most pure scripture that we have, according to this scripture, written in it's true original language.
What does this mean to you? Genesis 11:7

From the Torah. Now explain why you're talking about the Torah and using fairy-tale scripture to support a claim about the Torah.

FFH said:
It would be great to translate this today with the aid of computers, or an expert in the field, just to see what they come up with.
What do computers have to do w/ this?

You're totally missing my point. You should stop these completely off-topic rants or make your own thread about this.

FFH said:
I would like to do an excercise. Someone pick out a scripture in the Bible at random or a favorite scripture and we will all post our favorite translated verse of this scripture. I think we would be surprised at how much we are all on the same page.
Why bother? Psalm 22:16 you can then explain why 99.99% of the translations of this are wrong.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
And where have I hinted at the belief of 1 perfect translation? ? ?

If you're truley interested in showing your love for G-d and your commitment to whatever sect of Christianity you are, you would find the time to learn what G-d actually said, not what your translators say.

Personally, I think if you want to study the TNK (Old Testament) get Jewish translations, multiple of them, most have TONS of commentary explaining the verses, so even if the translations use different english words, the commentary about what the verse means will be identical. To study the NT, I'm sure they have similar books.

Again, why not learn Hebrew/Greek?
I'd love to...but I don't know if that's meant to be at this point in my life...I would love to...

You've talked quite a bit about how other translations aren't comparable to what you read...Spill the beans...what are you reading and how did you go about learning Hebrew and Greek?

Truly...I know God knows that I adore him...even if I don't read Greek and Hebrew...

dawny0826 said:
I'd love to...but I don't know if that's meant to be at this point in my life...I would love to...
There was a great Rabbi, Rabbi Akiva didn't know ANYTHING about Torah, didn't know Hebrew, didn't even know the Hebrew Alphabet until he was 40 years old. He became one of the GREATEST sages of all time. There is no acceptable excuse that I can think of on why it's too late for you.

dawny0826 said:
You've talked quite a bit about how other translations aren't comparable to what you read...Spill the beans...what are you reading and how did you go about learning Hebrew and Greek?
I grew up knowing Hebrew. I'm Jewish. I don't know Greek, I'm encouraging you to learn Greek as yer a christian and christian scripture is in latin/greek.

dawny0826 said:
Truly...I know God knows that I adore him...even if I don't read Greek and Hebrew...
How? Because a team of translators tells you that scripture says this? But how do you know?

FFH

Veteran Member
O.K. Psalm 22: 6, let's see how they all differ. You give us your translation Deut and we will all give our favorite translation to this scripture.

FFH said:
O.K. Psalm 22: 6, let's see how they all differ. You give us your translation Deut and we will all give our favorite translation to this scripture.
Are you capable of going back to page 3 and reading my post?

Duet 13:1 said:
And contrary to popular belief, comparing bibles doesn't always work.

Example: Psalm 22:16
NIV - Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet.
NASB - For dogs have surrounded me; A band of evildoers has encompassed me; They pierced my hands and my feet.
AMP - For [like a pack of] dogs they have encompassed me; a company of evildoers has encircled me, they pierced my hands and my feet
KJV- For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
NKJV - For dogs have surrounded Me; The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me. They pierced My hands and My feet
NLV - For dogs have gathered around me. A group of sinful men stand around me. They have cut through my hands and feet.
NLT - My enemies surround me like a pack of dogs; an evil gang closes in on me. They have pierced my hands and feet.
ASV - For dogs have compassed me: A company of evil-doers have inclosed me; They pierced my hands and my feet.
The hebrew word in question is k'ari.

Anyone with a 5th grade education in Hebrew knows that an ari is a lion and the prefix k' simply means like.

So that kind of stabs a whole in your entire "compare" and you're fine theory. There are plenty other examples I'm sure where all of them mistranslate something and completely change the meaning of a passage.
I think that pretty clearly spells it out. k'ari means, "like a lion" not "pierced". It has NOTHING to do w/ piercing of any kind.

FFH

Veteran Member
Joseph Smith translation or "Inspired Version" of Psalms 22: 6

JST Psalms 22: 6

"But I, a worm, am loved of no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people."

KJV Psalms 22: 6

"But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people."

FFH said:
Joseph Smith translation or "Inspired Version" of Psalms 22: 6

JST Psalms 22: 6

"But I, a worm, am loved of no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people."

KJV Psalms 22: 6

"But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people."
Now I know you don't want to carry on a serious debate...

Why bother? Psalm 22:16 you can then explain why 99.99% of the translations of this are wrong.
Also if you read my other post, it's clearly marked as verse 16.

FFH said:
oops wrong scripture I will delete my previous posts, sorry I did not know you had already done that one.
You're totally missing the point. All of those copies of the versions that say "pierced" are wrong, every single one of them.

This is why you need to learn Hebrew.

FFH

Veteran Member
Ok so you already compared Psalms 22: 16 but you didn't see the JST or inspired version of it yet. I will look it up to see if it even differs from the KJV.

FFH said:
Ok so you already compared Psalms 22: 16 but you didn't see the JST or inspired version of it yet. I will look it up to see if it even differs from the KJV.
I really don't care if it is mistranslated as well. The whole purpose of this thread is about the accuracy of the translation of the KJV which you have no knowledge of except for comparing it to other translations which doesn't address the Hebrew-English. My question is very simple... What happens when they are all wrong as is the case of Psalm 22:16???

Now, on what authority do you say whether it is translated correctly or not? Because you have the ability to compare a bunch of English translations? Good for you, not good enough for me....

FFH

Veteran Member
According to the JST it reads exactly as the KJV, therefore in my opinion it is true and correct scripture. It was translated correctly into the KJV.

JST 22: 16

"For the dogs have compassed me; the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me; they PIERCED my hands and my feet."

KJV 22: 16

"For the dogs have compassed me; the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me; they PIERCED my hands and my feet."

Jesus Christ is the author of all inspired scripture. The KJV and the JST or "Inspired Version" that I believe to be THE most true and correct translation of the Bible on earth do not differ. It is has been translated correctly from the original text.

FFH said:
According to the JST it reads exactly as the KJV, therefore in my opinion it is true and correct scripture. It was translated correctly into the KJV.

JST 22: 16

Jesus Christ is the author of all inspired scripture. The KJV and the JST or "Inspired Version" that I believe to be THE most true and correct translation of the Bible on earth do not differ. It is has been translated correctly from the original text.
Your ignorance on the subject amazes me. For the very last time, the KJV and your JST and any other translation of Psalms 22:16 that say pierced is WRONG. The Hebrew text does not say pierced, so I have no clue why the English does.

Let me address this one more time:

You claim that by comparing bibles, you know if it's right or not, I proved that wrong by pointing out a mistranslation that ALL Christian english versions mistranslate. So now that we've established that you have no clue what scripture actually says, why are you still posting here?

Status
Not open for further replies.