• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KJV - Good translation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFH

Veteran Member
NetDoc said:
Those who clamour for the "Inspired Version" are usually legalists caught in Satan's trap of turning the Freedom of Christ into yet another law. Stop limiting God and what God can do! :D
It's interesting how I can be accused of being caught up in Satan's trap for believing a true and "Inspired Version" of the the KJV of the Bible and at the same time I cannot say, in another thread, that the so-called Gospel of St. Thomas is an offense to God and is obviously inspired and written by an evil entity, often referred to as Satan. In fact these posts of mine were deleted. It seems to me that there is a one sidedness here in these forums otherwise posts like these would be deleted as well. Don't worry I can take as many insults to my beliefs as can be thrown at me.

I am not a legalist and I am not caught up in Satan's trap. I have read all of the standard works of the LDS church several times and in the case of the Book of Mormon I have lost track. I have read the entire KJV of the Bible along with the Inspired version of the Bible and I find nothing that contradicts the KJV of the Bible. It only fills in the missing scriptures and corrects mistranslations along with punctuation, grammar and mispellings. The Joseph Smith Translation is an Inspired Version and is true, correct and complete.

FFH

Veteran Member
KJV Hebrews 11: 1

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

JST Hebrews 11: 1

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Yep, I am surely caught up in Satan's trap, as you can see.

FFH

Veteran Member
Under this same basis everyone must be a lefalist and caught up in Satan's trap.

Deut 13:1

So far, with the expection of J.S. and Jayhawker, no one in here, to my knowledge knows Hebrew or Greek which makes their opinion on the accuracy of the translation absolutely worthless, but I do thank Angellous_evanellous, FFH, Dawny0826, NetDoc, and Joeboonda for your mere speculation on the accuracy of the translation. I'm sure I can get similar comments from 5th grade bible-students arguing about something they've never read.

And contrary to popular belief, comparing bibles doesn't always work.

Example: Psalm 22:16
NIV - Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet.
NASB - For dogs have surrounded me; A band of evildoers has encompassed me; They pierced my hands and my feet.
AMP - For [like a pack of] dogs they have encompassed me; a company of evildoers has encircled me, they pierced my hands and my feet
KJV- For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
NKJV - For dogs have surrounded Me; The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me. They pierced My hands and My feet
NLV - For dogs have gathered around me. A group of sinful men stand around me. They have cut through my hands and feet.
NLT - My enemies surround me like a pack of dogs; an evil gang closes in on me. They have pierced my hands and feet.
ASV - For dogs have compassed me: A company of evil-doers have inclosed me; They pierced my hands and my feet.
The hebrew word in question is k'ari.

Anyone with a 5th grade education in Hebrew knows that an ari is a lion and the prefix k' simply means like.

So that kind of stabs a whole in your entire "compare" and you're fine theory. There are plenty other examples I'm sure where all of them mistranslate something and completely change the meaning of a passage.

So, how about in the future, the 5 of you post something that you actually have knowledge of vs your mere speculation, I think it would do a great diservice to mislead people into thinking something that is obviously not true.

Now... to the original question.

Aqalung said:
I think the KJV is an adequate translation, as good as any. But of course, I have nothing to back that up with, except the fact that the other translations are pretty much the same. (I'm talking when it comes to english translations, here.) What does everybody else think?
I'll be honest, I really don't know, I've never read the whole KJV translation (nor do I plan on it), however, from a SELECT few set of verses I have seen thrown around here from that TNK, I would say it's a horrible and embarassing translation.

Deut 13:1 said:
I'll be honest, I really don't know, I've never read the whole KJV translation (nor do I plan on it), however, from a SELECT few set of verses I have seen thrown around here from that TNK, I would say it's a horrible and embarassing translation.
Just to expand upon this a little more, you would be best to ask Jayhawker as he more then likely has read the full KJV. JewScout may have, I don't know. . .

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
So far, with the expection of J.S. and Jayhawker, no one in here, to my knowledge knows Hebrew or Greek which makes their opinion on the accuracy of the translation absolutely worthless, but I do thank Angellous_evanellous, FFH, Dawny0826, NetDoc, and Joeboonda for your mere speculation on the accuracy of the translation. I'm sure I can get similar comments from 5th grade bible-students arguing about something they've never read.

Did you read my posts?

Hi! Truthfully, I'm partial to my NKJV of the Bible and I do have the NLT, NIV and NCV to compare it to. I haven't found any alarming discrepancies between the four. (Quoting myself)

Four...as in the four ENGLISH versions I have at my home, that I study.

:clap I just wanted to say Bravo!

I was referring to THIS...

God is able to work through any translation that you read! The problem isn't in the parts that we don't understand, but rather in the parts we DO understand and yet don't put into practice.

I agree with this statement...

So tell, me please...where I have I made any comments about the ACCURACY of any of the translations (I'm talking Greek and Hebrew now)? I simply commented on what my favorite version is...and how it compares to the OTHER versions I study...all presented in ENGLISH.

dawny0826 said:
Did you read my posts?

Four...as in the four ENGLISH versions I have at my home, that I study.
Of course I read your posts. Again you're proving my point. You have no knowledge of Hebrew so nothing to verify the translation against. Your best bet is to compare and pray really hard that you're right. But when it boils down to it, you have no knowledge on weather it is truley a correct translation.

Truthfully, I'm partial to my NKJV of the Bible and I do have the NLT, NIV and NCV to compare it to. I haven't found any alarming discrepancies between the four.
And now that you have been shown one of many alarming discrepancies between all the english bibles, what are you going to do with your profound new set of knowledge?

But in case you have different bibles then the ones I listed, please list the version and then tell me what you have for Psalm 22:16. ;)

dawny0826 said:
So tell, me please...where I have I made any comments about the ACCURACY of any of the translations (I'm talking Greek and Hebrew now)? I simply commented on what my favorite version is...and how it compares to the OTHER versions I study...all presented in ENGLISH.
Basically, you just proved my point, you wouldn't know if there are alarming discrepancies or not.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
FFH said:
It's interesting how I can be accused of being caught up in Satan's trap for believing a true and "Inspired Version" ...
Re-read my post: I said no such thing. However, no one will argue that you might be "unusual"! :D

However, looking at all of the passages cited, it appears to me that differences are mostly in nuances. There is probably a bigger corruption in those nuances in merely translating it from the Greek.

Again, once I have perfected loving God and Loving everyone else, I will probably leave the more esoteric issues alone! I would rather major in the majors and minor in the minors than get those two reversed!

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
+++MOD POST+++

Please remember that the forum rules about civility still apply in the debates section. If you must take issue with something, take issue with the topic and not with the other people posting. Continuing with rude posts will not be tolerated, and may result in warnings.

++++++++++++++

Scary red font over,

Hey, c'mon, guys! I know you're better than this!

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
As for reading the entire KJV, hey I still have portions of it memorized! :D I grew up with and studied the KJV (Episcopalian Church School) until I went to college where I studied the RSV for a year and then fell in love with the modernity of the NIV.

I did take two courses on New Testament Greek in college but would NEVER claim to have more insight than a fifth grader! They know it all: just ask them!

But again, rather than get embroiled in the "Inspired Version" controversy, I study my Bible in order to change my heart and not to prove my position!

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Of course I read your posts. Again you're proving my point. You have no knowledge of Hebrew so nothing to verify the translation against. Your best bet is to compare and pray really hard that you're right. But when it boils down to it, you have no knowledge on weather it is truley a correct translation.

And now that you have been shown one of many alarming discrepancies between all the english bibles, what are you going to do with your profound new set of knowledge?

But in case you have different bibles then the ones I listed, please list the version and then tell me what you have for Psalm 22:16. ;)

Basically, you just proved my point, you wouldn't know if there are alarming discrepancies or not.
I don't need to know. Because I know what's on my heart....I know that when I read my Bible...whichever Bible I choose...and pray for spiritual guidance and understanding of what I'm reading...God provides....so pick it apart all you like...poke holes...bash me for not being versed in Hebrew or Greek...

It's not so much a MENTAL process for me as it is a SPIRITUAL. How does your self-proclaimed "profound new set of knowledge" effect what God impresses upon my spirit?

It doesn't. It doesn't prove anything. It doesn't change anything.

The Bible isn't just a book intended to be read literally...where every single word matches from translation to translation....it's a book to be read and PRAYED on...and applied to our lives...so that we can grow spiritually in HIM. If you disagree with this...fine...it still doesn't change what's on my heart...and I'm sure the hearts of others who read English versions of the Bible.

Since you're quick to dispense "profound knowledge"...which version would YOU recommend to those of us who have no clue?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
NetDoc said:
As for reading the entire KJV, hey I still have portions of it memorized! :D I grew up with and studied the KJV (Episcopalian Church School) until I went to college where I studied the RSV for a year and then fell in love with the modernity of the NIV.

I did take two courses on New Testament Greek in college but would NEVER claim to have more insight than a fifth grader! They know it all: just ask them!

But again, rather than get embroiled in the "Inspired Version" controversy, I study my Bible in order to change my heart and not to prove my position!
Well said. :)

NetDoc said:
And that's perfectly fine, I see no reason for you to do otherwise.

However, the author of this thread is interested in the accuracy of the KJV as a translation in English. As seen by a quoteation from Aqualung.

I think the KJV is an adequate translation, as good as any. But of course, I have nothing to back that up with, except the fact that the other translations are pretty much the same. (I'm talking when it comes to english translations, here.) What does everybody else think?
So, if you're talking about what is personal to you, to change your heart, why are you going to hide it under the guise of the accuracy of translation from Hebrew... That's my only problem with your posts.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I think the Bible that you can read and understand that moves your heart, is what you should read. The KJV for instance in 1st Corinthians, 13 uses the word charity instead of love. The NIV and the New American, and I believe most of the others, use the word love. Takes on a whole new meaning.

dawny0826 said:
I don't need to know. Because I know what's on my heart....I know that when I read my Bible...whichever Bible I choose...and pray for spiritual guidance and understanding of what I'm reading...God provides....so pick it apart all you like...poke holes...bash me for not being versed in Hebrew or Greek...
I'm not bashing you for your lack of knowledge in Hebrew and greek, I was, past tense, making fun of the fact that with the exception of a few, everyone that posted in a thread about how accurate the translation is from hebrew to english has no knowledge of Hebrew.

dawny0826 said:
It's not so much a MENTAL process for me as it is a SPIRITUAL. How does your self-proclaimed "profound new set of knowledge" effect what God impresses upon my spirit?
sure, whatever floats your boat. :)

dawny0826 said:
The Bible isn't just a book intended to be read literally...where every single word matches from translation to translation....it's a book to be read and PRAYED on...and applied to our lives...so that we can grow spiritually in HIM. If you disagree with this...fine...it still doesn't change what's on my heart...and I'm sure the hearts of others who read English versions of the Bible.
You're wrong, the bible isn't A book, it's a group of books. And I agree that it isn't meant to be taken literally 100%. And I do disagree with the rest of what you said, but let's just agree to disagree on having an agreement on this instead of continueing down this path of disagreement.

dawny0826 said:
Since you're quick to dispense "profound knowledge"...which version would YOU recommend to those of us who have no clue?
I don't recomend translations for people serious about having a connection of G-d. You would think that people who are oh-so-serious about having a relationship w/ G-d would do it on His terms, and not on theirs. In my opinion, and this is mine alone, if one were truley interested in G-d, he/she would learn what G-d had to say, in His own words. Not what a team of translators believes it to say approaching it from X or Y or Z angel.

X = Jesus is G-d.
Y = People who think Joseph Smith is G-d
Z = Other people with a concept in mind.

Why not just read what He said??? Wouldn't that help in your "spiritual growth" vs praying that the team of translators of the four bibles you own have it right, which as shown above, they don't.

dawny0826 said:
I wasn't. I wasn't referencing Hebrew or Greek at all...
Okay, then why were you posting in a thread asking about the accuracy of the KJV as a translation?

aqualung said:
It seems pretty clear to me Aqualung isn't interested in the fact that translations are pretty much the same, but about the accuracy of the translation, which you've admitted you don't know Hebrew or Greek.

So can you please explain why you're posting off topic material? :)

jeffrey said:
I think the Bible that you can read and understand that moves your heart, is what you should read. The KJV for instance in 1st Corinthians, 13 uses the word charity instead of love. The NIV and the New American, and I believe most of the others, use the word love. Takes on a whole new meaning.
Why? Why should your relationship with G-d be on your terms vs His terms?

FFH

Veteran Member
Why not just read what He said??? Wouldn't that help in your "spiritual growth" vs praying that the team of translators of the four bibles you own have it right, which as shown above, they don't.
We do read it and we're only comparing different versions of the Bible. I think they they all do not differ that much but all have the basic teachings intact, with some things added here and there. It would be great if we could all read Hebrew and Greek. Maybe we should ask for a recall on all Bibles and have the Bible retranslated today from Greek and Hebrew to English. It could be easily done with the aid of computers. Why do we have to settle on a translation that King James commissioned to be done. Is it because we don't have all of the original text? How much of the original text of the Old Testament and New Testament do we have? Can anyone answer this? And if we have most of it why has it NOT been retranslated to compare it with the KJV of the Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.