• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

King James Version - Simple question.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I don't know if KJV is still the pinnacle standard in a lot of churches as it once was. Does anyone know why it was such a big deal?

One of the reasons is that it was "the" Bible for centuries. It was mass produced, accessible, and often passed down from one family member to the other. Even though there were a few translations after it (before the modern versions that is), it was seen as "the" Bible. It never was officially recognized as the Authorized version though (as in no ecumenical group authorized it), but for the general population, it became the authorized version simply because it was loved.

At the time, it was some of the best scholarship on the subject. It was a great work, that was based on the best recognized manuscripts that were known, and it was based off of older translations (so it was an easy switch). So it does deserve to be recognized as a monumental work at the time, and for a long time, it was the best that there was. And even today, the RSV, and the NRSV did have their foundation in that work as well.

Now, some people hold onto it because they are afraid of change (at least that is what I would assume). When one grows up with a certain Bible, it can be weird to see it replaced. However, many evangelicals and fundamentalists have moved out of using the KJV. The preferred choice among many now is the NIV (which was actually created in direct response to the RSV, as some evangelicals thought that the RSV was too liberal).

So the reason it is a big deal is for a number of reasons. I personally go back to it from time to time because like Jay said, the rendering is beautiful. At the same time, it was once the best there was, and for the longest time, it stayed that way. It really wasn't until the 1800's that modern scholarship started taking place (as mentioned, primarily in Germany), and it didn't catch hold in the United States for quite some time after. And then we didn't start getting really good new translations until about the last hundred years.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
One of the reasons is that it was "the" Bible for centuries. It was mass produced, accessible, and often passed down from one family member to the other. Even though there were a few translations after it (before the modern versions that is), it was seen as "the" Bible. It never was officially recognized as the Authorized version though (as in no ecumenical group authorized it), but for the general population, it became the authorized version simply because it was loved.

At the time, it was some of the best scholarship on the subject. It was a great work, that was based on the best recognized manuscripts that were known, and it was based off of older translations (so it was an easy switch). So it does deserve to be recognized as a monumental work at the time, and for a long time, it was the best that there was. And even today, the RSV, and the NRSV did have their foundation in that work as well.

Now, some people hold onto it because they are afraid of change (at least that is what I would assume). When one grows up with a certain Bible, it can be weird to see it replaced. However, many evangelicals and fundamentalists have moved out of using the KJV. The preferred choice among many now is the NIV (which was actually created in direct response to the RSV, as some evangelicals thought that the RSV was too liberal).

So the reason it is a big deal is for a number of reasons. I personally go back to it from time to time because like Jay said, the rendering is beautiful. At the same time, it was once the best there was, and for the longest time, it stayed that way. It really wasn't until the 1800's that modern scholarship started taking place (as mentioned, primarily in Germany), and it didn't catch hold in the United States for quite some time after. And then we didn't start getting really good new translations until about the last hundred years.
Makes sense too, thanks.

Alceste

Vagabond
What I cannot understand is why people came to believe that the KJV is God's authorized version.

Probably a consequence of trying to reconcile the application an inerrant, literal interpretation of the Bible with the fact there are many different translations of it, and the original texts are not in English.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Probably a consequence of trying to reconcile the application an inerrant, literal interpretation of the Bible with the fact there are many different translations of it, and the original texts are not in English.
Don't know about that.

Shermana

Heretic
Which all are similar and don't have whole versus taken out like the NIV,NASB,ESV,NLT, thanks a lot Westcott and Hort. Now I used to be for these translation and was very adversarial towards the KJV. Matter fact I have read and studied out of these newer translations,versions for about the past 5 years. It took a lot of study now I am very KJV bias.

Are you aware at all WHY those verses are taken out by those versions? Do you think it was just some trained monkey arbitrarily blotting out certain passages with a magic marker?

Rocky S

Christian Goth
Are you aware at all WHY those verses are taken out by those versions? Do you think it was just some trained monkey arbitrarily blotting out certain passages with a magic marker?
I know what some claim, as far as a monkey, :monkey:yeah that sounds about right, Just joking. I know all the arguments from both sides and, I do know some of the foolishness of KJVonlyism, five years ago I would have been offended by my own post.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I know what some claim, as far as a monkey, :monkey:yeah that sounds about right, Just joking. I know all the arguments from both sides and, I do know some of the foolishness of KJVonlyism, five years ago I would have been offended by my own post.
With a background in psychology, I think there are some psychological reasons involved in there somewhere. "Groupthink" is one dynamic that comes to mind.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
From what I understand from a few conversations I've had with some of the KJV only crowd (and from what I've read) it's a bit more than this. Many believe that just as god inspired the original authors, he also inspired the translators of the kJV. I've talked to a few who also thought that the vulgate was "inspired" when Latin was the lingua franca. And as for the original texts, as we don't have these, god provided a perfect translation for us (so the argument, or claim, or whatever one wishes to call it, goes).

Personally, I'm a little annoyed god didn't tell me before I learned greek, and also inspire some perfect translations of other classic texts so I didn't have to learn latin, hebrew, etc., either.

But the KJV has shaped the English language, much like Luther and German. And it is beautiful language.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I don't know if KJV is still the pinnacle standard.... Does anyone know why it was such a big deal?

A basic short idea is because:

During the Dark Ages [ they were not called dark for no reason]
Latin dominated under Roman Catholic control.
In the 15th century now there was the invention of the printing press.
Movable type gave more freedom to the Reformation.
During this time Desiderius Erasmus produced his Master Text of the NT
Amazingly Erasmus only had few manuscripts available to him to us in preparing his Master Text of the NT.
Martin Luther started using Erasmus' text.
William Tyndale followed with his Bible in English using Erasmus' text
Next Erasmus' text was translated into Italian
Next the system of chapters and verses was introduced in French.
Stephanus' French Bible showed the present divisions for the complete Bible.
Stephanus also use Erasmus' text, and his 3rd edition the 'Textus Receptus' [Latin for 'Received Text'] is the text upon which KJV is based.

Erasmus was under time pressure to complete his Master Text,
and with only having a few cursive manuscripts available to him,
he made a remarkable translation that has only minor mistakes that crept into copies of Bible text, but does not make or dismiss the Bible as a whole being in error.

So, considering what Erasmas had to work with, and the time restraints upon him, that made the KJV a Big deal. Archaic words or terms today can be compared with the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts to have a clearer meaning today of any out-dated KJV words or terms.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
A basic short idea is because:

During the Dark Ages [ they were not called dark for no reason]
Latin dominated under Roman Catholic control.
In the 15th century now there was the invention of the printing press.
Movable type gave more freedom to the Reformation.
During this time Desiderius Erasmus produced his Master Text of the NT
Amazingly Erasmus only had few manuscripts available to him to us in preparing his Master Text of the NT.
Martin Luther started using Erasmus' text.
William Tyndale followed with his Bible in English using Erasmus' text
Next Erasmus' text was translated into Italian
Next the system of chapters and verses was introduced in French.
Stephanus' French Bible showed the present divisions for the complete Bible.
Stephanus also use Erasmus' text, and his 3rd edition the 'Textus Receptus' [Latin for 'Received Text'] is the text upon which KJV is based.

Erasmus was under time pressure to complete his Master Text,
and with only having a few cursive manuscripts available to him,
he made a remarkable translation that has only minor mistakes that crept into copies of Bible text, but does not make or dismiss the Bible as a whole being in error.

So, considering what Erasmas had to work with, and the time restraints upon him, that made the KJV a Big deal. Archaic words or terms today can be compared with the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts to have a clearer meaning today of any out-dated KJV words or terms.

So much history. It makes sense that KJV being one of the first english translations, would give it a lot of credibility in people's eyes. It seems almost that the KJV got tied into the idea that english itself is a superior language.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So much history. It makes sense that KJV being one of the first english translations, would give it a lot of credibility in people's eyes. It seems almost that the KJV got tied into the idea that english itself is a superior language.

From some responses it would seem that some people think the original Scriptures were written in KJV English. Do they picture the apostles walking around with a KJB in hand ?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
From some responses it would seem that some people think the original Scriptures were written in KJV English. Do they picture the apostles walking around with a KJB in hand ?
Ahaha! Well, the earlier Jesus movies used British actors!

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
After more research I understand more the affinity people have with the KJV. It was the culmination of and replaced the use of The Wycliffe Bible, Tisdale Bible, The Great Bible, and the Geneva Bible. It was also the Bible used by the reformers. It deserves appreciation of people are aware of the efforts. Blind allegiance is unhealthy.

Last edited:

gus32

i'm not sure why the kjv is so popular however there are some important mistranslations the main one as relating to christianity is the hebrew word almah used to describe mary the mother of jesus means an unmarried or young woman which the kjv translated as virgin thus creating the immaculate conception myth.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
i'm not sure why the kjv is so popular however there are some important mistranslations the main one as relating to christianity is the hebrew word almah used to describe mary the mother of jesus means an unmarried or young woman which the kjv translated as virgin thus creating the immaculate conception myth.
:facepalm: God I hate tepid reruns!

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Matthew 1:20
But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.

Xchristian

prof Ehrman reported that someone once said:

"English is the language of the bible, if it's good enough for God, it's good enough for me"

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
My NT prof said that if you're not reading the Bible in Hebrew and Greek, you're not reading the Bible.