• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

King George Government

MikeDwight

Who's "king George" government? Some odd appeal to the American revolution's tyrannical King George? Seems like people only study politics during personal crises. #lazy.

I never think about it. Its so far away from me. Its a medical procedure. A daughter crashes on the road, they treat the injuries.

Altfish

Veteran Member

HonestJoe

Why did you link an obviously biased campaign organisation making unsupported claims about the ruling rather than the mainstream news report which directly links the actual text of the ruling itself? Do you want people to blindly accept your opinion or do you want them to look at the raw facts and reach their own conclusions?

Appeals court upholds injunction on Indiana abortion law | FOX 28 Spokane

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Why did you link an obviously biased campaign organisation making unsupported claims about the ruling rather than the mainstream news report which directly links the actual text of the ruling itself? Do you want people to blindly accept your opinion or do you want them to look at the raw facts and reach their own conclusions?

Appeals court upholds injunction on Indiana abortion law | FOX 28 Spokane
Unsupported????

Appeals court upholds ruling that blocks parental consent for Indiana youth abortions

That translates into "abortion without parental knowledge".

HonestJoe

Unsupported????
I was talking about the expanding narrative that made up the bulk of the article you linked, which made all sorts of assumptions and accusations off the back of the ruling. It was clearly an unashamedly biased source and therefore not especially trustworthy in its statements. In honest discussion of a topic is much better served by using neutral reporting and primary sources whenever possible.

That translates into "abortion without parental knowledge".
In very specific and rare circumstances. Reading the text of the actual ruling, which was available in the article I linked, is vital for a proper understanding of the situation.

Terry Sampson

From the 7th District Court of Appeals Opinion, ARGUED JANUARY 5, 2018 — DECIDED AUGUST 27, 2019
  • Indiana statutes have long provided a fast and confidential judicial bypass procedure that is supposed to allow a small fraction of pregnant, unemancipated minors seeking abortions to obtain them without the consent of or notice to their parents, guardians, or custodians.
  • In 2017, Indiana added a parental notification requirement to the judicial bypass statute. Before the law took effect, plaintiff Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky, Inc. sued to enjoin its enforcement.
  • In a careful opinion, the district court issued a preliminary injunction against enforcement of the new law’s notice requirements. Planned Parenthood of Indiana & Kentucky, Inc. v. Commissioner, 258 F. Supp. 3d 929, 956 (S.D. Ind. 2017).
  • The defendant state officials have appealed a portion of the preliminary injunction.
  • In light of the lopsided factual record, the deferential standard of review, and the preliminary status of the findings of fact and conclusions of law, we affirm.
  • Summary: 7th District Court of Appeals affirmed preliminary injunction against enforcement of new law’s notice requirements.
IN INDIANA:
  1. General rule: As a general rule, Indiana prohibits physicians from performing abortions for unemancipated minors without the written consent of the minor’s parent, legal guardian, or custodian.
  2. Exception to the rule: The law provides an exception, however, so that a minor who objects to the consent requirement or whose parent, guardian, or custodian refuses to consent may petition a juvenile court for a waiver of the consent requirement.
    • Known as a judicial bypass, this procedure permits the minor to obtain an abortion without parental consent if the court finds either that she is mature enough to make the abortion decision independently or that an abortion is in her best interests.
  • In 2017, the Indiana General Assembly enacted Public Law 173-2017, also known as Senate Enrolled Act 404, which amended the parental consent and judicial bypass statutes in several ways.
  • This appeal focuses on one new requirement for the judicial bypass process. Even if a judge concludes that a parent need not consent to the abortion, either because the unemancipated minor is mature enough to make her own decision or because the abortion is in her best interests, and even though the bypass process is supposed to be confidential per Bellotti, parents still must be given prior notice of the planned abortion unless the judge also finds such notice is not in the minor’s “best interests.”
  • A bypass court “shall waive the requirement of parental notification under subsection (d) if the court finds that obtaining an abortion without parental notification is in the best interests of the unemancipated pregnant minor.” That difference in language is important. Unlike the judicial bypass of the parental consent requirement, which may be based on either maturity or best interests, judicial bypass of notice may be based only on “best interests.”

Attachments

• From the 7th District Court of Appeals Opinion.pdf
    343.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 7th-Circuit-ruling.pdf
    299.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It does seem to me that not all parents can even be trusted with the news of the pregnancy of their under-age teen. There have been "honour killings" in both Canada and the United States by parents (often from minority communities) of daughters who have been caught dating -- let alone getting pregnant! Granted such killings are illegal, but that doesn't help the dead daughter, and probably only makes things worse for siblings who have to cope while the enraged parent serves a lengthy sentence.

There's never anything so bad that some of us can't find ways to make it worse.

PureX

Veteran Member
Indiana appeals court: Parents don't need to know about minor teens' abortions

So, who is King over our children?

Since WHEN does the government decide that a parent "doesn't need to know" when their child is going through a MAJOR operation?
When the parent got their underage daughter pregnant, perhaps. Or when the parent wants to force her to have a child that she doesn't want to have. Or when the parents wants to force their daughter to accept serious medical risk based on the parent's religious beliefs. Parenting is not sacrosanct. There are a lot of really bad parents out there.

Kenny

Premium Member
Not necessarily but for a site to be flagged by them raises concerns. And since it has all been debunked as lies (Why don't Christians abide by the ten commandments??) I would consider in this case that Facebook is correct to flag it.
Yes... they also flag "abortion" and other conservative views.

Kenny

Premium Member
When the parent got their underage daughter pregnant, perhaps. Or when the parent wants to force her to have a child that she doesn't want to have. Or when the parents wants to force their daughter to accept serious medical risk based on the parent's religious beliefs. Parenting is not sacrosanct. There are a lot of really bad parents out there.

The government is still not the parent. Especially when the school wants to force them to have an abortion, the parents want to help the child so that they are informed of the medical risks. Government is not sacrosanct and there are A LOT of REALLY BAD GOVERNMENT efforts out there.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The "cavity" in my view is no cavity. It was formed by being with my wife in the ICU after very serious cancer surgery. Abortion in some rare situations can be problematical. 99% of the time it's safe.