• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

King Arthur and Camelot: Why the cultural fascination ?

kai

ragamuffin
A new television series is the latest dramatisation of the Camelot myth. But why is the legend of King Arthur such a compelling one in culture?

Take a note of the picture. I live not far from there "Glastonbury" and its in a kind of dip and very often there's a mist and that's exactly how it looks as you drive towards it. years ago the tor was an island as this entire area was all marshland. I often wonder how it would have felt back in the day travelling towards it ,It does have an atmosphere to it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13696160

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A new television series is the latest dramatisation of the Camelot myth. But why is the legend of King Arthur such a compelling one in culture?

Because it is both relatable and inspiring. The Arthurian characters are often lost in all too human dilemmas and weaknesses, yet their stories are of glorious conquest and epic loss.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is simply the strongest story to come from the "Dark Ages" as such is can be worked and reworked with out any fear of argument about "Truth"

HonestJoe

It's nothing to do with culture, it's about money. Using an established yet flexible story like King Arthur makes it easier to move quickly through the boring establishment and characterisation and get in to the big-money action and adventure while also providing a big hook for the marketing campaign (which I suspect the linked article is and example of).

It basically provides a more reliable (or the perception of a more reliable) prospect for the producers who are needed to commit money to fund a TV show. An original idea is a harder sell (especially to people with no imagination). It's the same kind of reason the film industry is currently awash with comic-book adoptions and sequels.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Possibly for the same reason other legends are fascinating to people. People seem to like heroes, especially heroes have human faults as well as heroic traits. We can't find too much of that in real life.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I think it's because of several reasons. One is the eternal desire of human beings for a more just society that never seems to appear, which Arthur's kingdom represents. Another is the messianic nature of the Once and Future King narrative. Yet another is the strong affinity of Western society for the themes and ideals of chivalry and courtly romance.

But if nothing else, the legends of Arthur and his knights are hero-tales on a grand scale. They survive for the same reasons that people still tell the stories in the Iliad and Odyssey, in the Thousand and One Nights, in the Mahabarata, or in the Poetic Edda. People love stories of heroes and villains.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Possibly for the same reason other legends are fascinating to people. People seem to like heroes, especially heroes have human faults as well as heroic traits. We can't find too much of that in real life.

Well, I personally think we are probably surrounded by heroes every day, if we take the time to notice. However, they're not dressed in cool armor or live in castles, so we're not as fascinated by them!

Someone standing behind you in line at WalMart wearing flip flops and a t-shirt that says, "Kiss me, I'm Irish" doesn't have the same flair as these guys...

ka_knights3.jpg

Wait...I think I saw some of these dudes last weekend in Austin...