• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kim Yong-un perhaps exiting the scene?

Laika

Premium Member
Kim Jong-un 'dead' or in 'vegetative state,' according to media claims

Seems to be something amiss, him being absent for so long, but who will succeed if he is gone, and would they be any better?

Kim Jong-un's sister 'tyrant in waiting' if illness claims her brother's life

Any thoughts?

If Kim Jong Un is dead, North Korean state media will announce it and the country will go in to national mourning as happened with the previous leaders, Kim il Sung and Kim Jong il. The ruling party would ensure it is a tightly controlled and stage managed event so they can have an orderly succession.

Death and state funeral of Kim Il-sung - Wikipedia
Death and state funeral of Kim Jong-il - Wikipedia

Given the secrecy of the state and the lack of reliable information about the country, it's not uncommon for the west to declare North Koreans dead, only for them to turn up alive. There has been discussions of whether there is a purge of some of the countrys top leadership since Kim Jong Un came to power. So in that context people are playing a very dark game of "guess who?"

Here is the report of the "death" of General Ri Yong Gil:

Here he is alive and well after his "execution"...
Walking dead? N. Korean military leader turns up at party congress after 'execution'
Former North Korean general believed executed turns up alive

Here's a segment debating whether Defence Chief Hyon Yong was alive after his "execution".

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I know it has been the case before, and common to such countries where the media is tightly controlled, but perhaps there is something to this one:

Is Kim Jong-un dead? Rumours circulate as Chinese doctors sent to North Korea | Metro News

Vice director of HKSTV Hong Kong Satellite Television Shijian Xingzou said a ‘very solid source’ told her Kim had died. Yesterday Japanese magazine Shukan Gendai reported he was in a ‘vegetative state’ after a delay in a simple heart procedure left him severely ill. Global speculation has mounted over the 36-year-old leader as state media in Pyongyang has remained tight lipped about his health and whereabouts. While there has been no confirmation of the dictator’s death, #KimJongUndead has been trending on Twitter. Shukan Gendai said Kim clutched his chest and fell to the ground during a visit to the countryside earlier this month. A Chinese medical expert close to the situation told the weekly publication a stent procedure was needed and was done either badly or far too late, causing further complications.

Laika

Premium Member
I know it has been the case before, and common to such countries where the media is tightly controlled, but perhaps there is something to this one:

Is Kim Jong-un dead? Rumours circulate as Chinese doctors sent to North Korea | Metro News

Vice director of HKSTV Hong Kong Satellite Television Shijian Xingzou said a ‘very solid source’ told her Kim had died. Yesterday Japanese magazine Shukan Gendai reported he was in a ‘vegetative state’ after a delay in a simple heart procedure left him severely ill. Global speculation has mounted over the 36-year-old leader as state media in Pyongyang has remained tight lipped about his health and whereabouts. While there has been no confirmation of the dictator’s death, #KimJongUndead has been trending on Twitter. Shukan Gendai said Kim clutched his chest and fell to the ground during a visit to the countryside earlier this month. A Chinese medical expert close to the situation told the weekly publication a stent procedure was needed and was done either badly or far too late, causing further complications.

It's up to you, but I'd urge caution given how unreliable our information is on this country. North Korea is literally a kind of black hole as far as our understanding of the world is concerned. ;)

north-korea-night-satellite.jpg

Yazata

Hard to know. There are certainly lots of rumors, but that's all they seem to be, rumors. It's known that he didn't show up at events where he would have been expected to, like the Day of the Sun, honoring Kim's quasi-deified grandfather.

I'm just speculating, but my guess is that while North Korea insists that there is no coronavirus in their country, that's almost certainly false. So I'd guess that Kim Yong Un has gotten out of the capital and is sheltering in place in his heavily guarded luxury compound. His personal train has been spotted there. He doesn't seem to be all that healthy after all, and probably has some preexisting medical conditions that would put him at greater risk,

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Hard to know. There are certainly lots of rumors, but that's all they seem to be, rumors. It's known that he didn't show up at events where he would have been expected to, like the Day of the Sun, honoring Kim's quasi-deified grandfather.

I'm just speculating, but my guess is that while North Korea insists that there is no coronavirus in their country, that's almost certainly false. So I'd guess that Kim Yong Un has gotten out of the capital and is sheltering in place in his heavily guarded luxury compound. His personal train has been spotted there. He doesn't seem to be all that healthy after all, and probably has some preexisting medical conditions that would put him at greater risk,

I think we might have heard from him at least if this was the case. Seems quite likely that he is ill or even dead, but as pointed out, there have been plenty of rumours before.