• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Killing in War - Ok or Not?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Gandhi wouldn't even have needed to go on hunger strike to starve like the thousands of others under those regimes. Perhaps a stern talking to would work in their case.

Maybe sarcasm is what you had in mind?

How about talking to the millions of other people? How about leading by example?

MLK had to convince his people to suffer for peace. He didn't need to talk to people who weren't listening.

Sleeppy

I have no problem defending myself, my loved ones, my friends, my neighbors....
To the death if need be.

But then, I do not claim to be a pacifist.
I have, however, seen many a self proclaimed pacifist turn violent when their own *** was on the line.
They felt bad afterwords, but they still did not act very pacifistic when it came down to it.
Thus the reason I wonder "how many pacifists are really pacifists when their own *** is on the line"

Now perhaps you would like to answer the same?

You didn't answer the question. Or did you? Are you saying that you would rather kill on behalf of Hitler, than to allow you or your own family to die?

Levite

Higher and Higher
Those that go to war for their country and kill others.

Is that OK in the eyes of your religion?

Can they be forgiven? Is it an automatic pass because it is war? Etc.

Well, if it is a just war (to whatever degree such a thing is possible), then yes. If one is drafted, and must serve because the law demands military service, then yes, because of the halachic (Jewish legal) principle of dina d'malchuta dina hee (the law of the land one lives in is binding law upon on, and must be followed except only where it conflicts directly with the commandments in the Torah). And if it is a war of self-defense or the defense of other innocent lives, then yes, because defense of self and others is a mitzvah (commandment).

However, if one knew for a fact that the war in question was completely unjust, and there was no draft, and one volunteered anyhow, it would be hard to make a case that it was permissible, and that their participation did not make them a transgressor.

Laika

Premium Member
Honest answer; 9 times out of 10 I'm a pacifist, but there are "just wars" but I think it's more important that a war is conducted "justly" so as few people get hurt as possible. the real war is about staying human.

Reza02

A Muslim young
I'm not killing anyone. I"m trying to think why you would write something like that. Israel does not go in and purposely kill Palestinian children. Israel defends herself from the nations around her that attack them. Israel wants to live in peace. How come you didnt say why does Palestine kill Israeli children?

Now we can ask some questions.
Is really Palestinian soldiers killed israeli children? When and Where?
Why Israel should fight with her neighbours?
And fight means killing your enemy's wife and children?
And defending your self means destroying hospitals,schools and some places that UN made those?

Look at history. Israel made in 1940s in Palestin.
Now they are trying to exile Palestinians from their land who are living there for more than 1000 years.
There is a big massacre in Palestin.
In recently war you killed about 2000 (or more) Palestinian who 522 of them were children. And they killed about 75 of you who 67 of them were soldiers.
If they abducted 3 of you (And this never proved) why you taked fire with their residential area for 51 days?

It wasn't the first time that you killed innocent children.
You began the war with Gaza in 2009.
You began the war with Lebanon in 2006.
And you began a lots of other wars in recently century.

And you did some actions which only terrorrists do these.
for example you terrored Emad Mughnia few years ago.
And you killed his son Jahad Mughnia few days ago.

And you did some actions that nobody can accept these.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You didn't answer the question. Or did you? Are you saying that you would rather kill on behalf of Hitler, than to allow you or your own family to die?
What does Hitler have to do with it?
Or are you just wanting to embrace Godwins Law and call it a day?

moorea944

Now we can ask some questions.
Is really Palestinian soldiers killed israeli children? When and Where?
Why Israel should fight with her neighbours?
And fight means killing your enemy's wife and children?
And defending your self means destroying hospitals,schools and some places that UN made those?

Look at history. Israel made in 1940s in Palestin.
Now they are trying to exile Palestinians from their land who are living there for more than 1000 years.
There is a big massacre in Palestin.
In recently war you killed about 2000 (or more) Palestinian who 522 of them were children. And they killed about 75 of you who 67 of them were soldiers.
If they abducted 3 of you (And this never proved) why you taked fire with their residential area for 51 days?

It wasn't the first time that you killed innocent children.
You began the war with Gaza in 2009.
You began the war with Lebanon in 2006.
And you began a lots of other wars in recently century.

And you did some actions which only terrorrists do these.
for example you terrored Emad Mughnia few years ago.
And you killed his son Jahad Mughnia few days ago.

And you did some actions that nobody can accept these.
Your info is wrong and let's have some decaf while your at it......

Sleeppy

What does Hitler have to do with it?
Or are you just wanting to embrace Godwins Law and call it a day?

I've already given you Hitler's relevance, in the question itself.. And this is a thread on war; Godwin's law barely applies. I could have named any infamous dictator, or even ISIS.

Reza02

A Muslim young
Your info is wrong and let's have some decaf while your at it......

Our informations about numbers are different but general news are the same.
Nobody can't deny Israeli invasion to Lebanon and Gaza.
And everybody knows general Emad Mughnia, Jahad Mughnia and Iranian general Allahdadi were killed by Israeli army. They were killed while Israel isn't in a battle.
You can assume me whichever way you want but about facts...

Last edited:

moorea944

Our informations about numbers are different but general news are the same.
Nobody can't deny Israeli invasion to Lebanon and Gaza.
And everybody knows general Emad Mughnia, Jahad Mughnia and Iranian general Allahdadi were killed by Israeli army. They were killed while Israel isn't in a battle.
You can assume me whichever way you want but about facts...
So your saying that Israel just went into their land and attacked them....I dont think so.

Johnlove

A Christian who is a follower of Jesus Christ our Lord and God, obeys God. God said not to give the evil person any resistance.

Jesus personally told me we are not to hurt anyone for any reason.

No it is not OK to kill at any time even in war.

(Matthew 5:38-48) “You have learnt how it was said: Eye for eye and tooth for tooth. But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance. On the contrary, if anyone hits you on the right cheek, offer him the other.”

(Matthew 5:43-44) “You have learnt how it was said, you must love your neighbor and hate your enemy, but I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
There is no truth in propaganda. All sides use propaganda to push their own agenda and justify it to their own people. Gaining public support is the purpose of a controlled media. Most people naively believe whatever they are fed.

There is no such thing as a "just war" from the Christian perspective.

Jesus taught us to be "NO part of the world" which means exactly what it says. He also said that being a Christian would mean suffering the world's hatred. (John 15:18-21)
What gets patriotic people hot under the collar more than conscientious objectors? :mad:

This is a quote from the larger outlined work from the 4th century (300-399 A.D.) :

Divine Institutes
Book VI : Of true worship

Chapter 20. Of the Senses, and Their Pleasures in the Brutes and in Man; And of Pleasures of the Eyes, and Spectacles :

"For when God forbids us to kill, He not only prohibits us from open violence, which is not even allowed by the public laws, but He warns us against the commission of those things which are esteemed lawful among men. Thus it will be neither lawful for a just man to engage in warfare, since his warfare is justice itself, nor to accuse any one of a capital charge, because it makes no difference whether you put a man to death by word, or rather by the sword, since it is the act of putting to death itself which is prohibited. Therefore, with regard to this precept of God, there ought to be no exception at all; but that it is always unlawful to put to death a man, whom God willed to be a sacred animal."

- Lucius Caecilius Firmianus Lactantius

So a further question beckons, do you think you are a sacred animal?

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Would you prefer we tickle the enemy?

A Christian has no "enemies", in that he has no one towards whom he bears malice. If a person make us their enemy, we have no control over that. What we have is Jesus' own words...'to love our enemy and to pray for those who persecute' us. Do you find justification for war in those words? Is there an exception or an escape clause because our 'authority' has given us a command to break the law of God?

When the apostles were ordered not to do something that their higher authority (Jesus) commanded, they said..... “We must obey God as ruler rather than men." (Acts 5:29)

No man can tell us to break the law of God or to go against the teachings of our Lord Jesus or our conscience....regardless of the consequences.

The "Prince of Peace" does not promote war or violence in his disciples in any way.

roger1440

I do stuff
A Christian has no "enemies", in that he has no one towards whom he bears malice. If a person make us their enemy, we have no control over that. What we have is Jesus' own words...'to love our enemy and to pray for those who persecute' us. Do you find justification for war in those words? Is there an exception or an escape clause because our 'authority' has given us a command to break the law of God?

When the apostles were ordered not to do something that their higher authority (Jesus) commanded, they said..... “We must obey God as ruler rather than men." (Acts 5:29)

No man can tell us to break the law of God or to go against the teachings of our Lord Jesus or our conscience....regardless of the consequences.

The "Prince of Peace" does not promote war or violence in his disciples in any way.
What about in self defense? Sometimes it comes down to kill or be killed.