• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Killing in the name of Christ?

A

angellous_evangellous

Ah, here's this little insignia used as a belt buckle and possibly a button -

4992-37.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Yet we have these texts carefully preserved into the 16th century.

Christianity is a WORLD RELIGION and not every church IS THE SAME.
You may be right Nate. however both you and I cannot deny, that Christendom, the active religion in the form of the religious social structures that dominated the continent was highly politically motivated, and had a tremendous grip on political affairs across Europe. and at the end of the day, this is the Christianity that matters. that a monk in Bavaria protested the woes brought by the central church in satirical work is lovely, but that monk is meaningless in the greater scheme of things.

A

angellous_evangellous

This is the sad fact I have been talking about.

Regardless if it IS or is NOT the Christian practices faith today. IT IS the foundation for it, it is Christian history..... FACT!

Stop trying to segragate yourself as a better Christian, your BOTH serving the same savior!!!!

Not to mention that the Eastern church split from the western Church over a thousand years ago.

Lumping all of Christianity into one history is ignorant.

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
Not to mention that the Eastern church split from the western Church over a thousand years ago.

Lumping all of Christianity into one history is ignorant.

I am confused, I may not be the sharpest on Christian religion. However your saying that the Christian religion split before Hitlers "version", so all Christians can't be help responsible for the same exact symbol they are worshipping? Is that correct....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I don't think those people were crazy. Their beliefs were influenced by the understanding and interpretation of their religion at the time.
Hitler's extermination of the Jews had nothing to do with religious motivation. It was economics

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Really?

What do you think we're doing right now?
Out of the thousands of Christians denominations in the US? I'm too humble to say. but large sectors of Christians in the US are deeply involved in politics and influence of foreign affairs, and this is what is relevant for me, because it has a direct influence over my region and national affairs.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
So... Millions of people have been killed in the name of Jesus Christ. Historians have estimated between 15 million killed in his name. This mostly includes Jews (WWII), Witches (Salem Witch Trials), and Pagans.
I9 people were killed at the Salem Witch Trials. Plus, who's to say that maybe some of them might have actually been witches. Ex. 22:18

A

angellous_evangellous

I am confused, I may not be the sharpest on Christian religion. However your saying that the Christian religion split before Hitlers "version", so all Christians can't be help responsible for the same exact symbol they are worshipping? Is that correct....:rolleyes:

Sort of - but don't think that your confusion transfers over to me.

The point is that there are several branches of Christianity all over the world, many of them with independent and unrelated histories. It's simply irresponsible to point to a dark period in one Christianity and attempt to hold everyone else responsible who claims the same name.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I9 people were killed at the Salem Witch Trials. Plus, who's to say that maybe some of them might have actually been witches. Ex. 22:18
True, however witch burning ran rampant in Europe...
I wonder why you would present the OLD Covenant as support for it.
Did not Jesus fulfill the old law?
And if Jesus did not fulfill the old law as he said, why do Christians get to pick and choose which old laws were and were not fulfilled?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I may be mistaken, but it seems to me that he is saying you can't take the history of one group/sect/version/denomination of Christianity and claim that it applies to all groups/sects/versions/denominations of Christians.
Especially those groups/sects/versions/denominations of Christianity that do not even share with that particular bit of history.

Orias

Left Hand Path
So... Millions of people have been killed in the name of Jesus Christ. Historians have estimated between 15 million killed in his name. This mostly includes Jews (WWII), Witches (Salem Witch Trials), and Pagans.

Were these murders Christian worthy? Or were the people that killed them just straight up nuts?

Pretty much anyone who kills anyone is a straight up nut, unless it was in self-defense.

But in this case, it was not.

Don't forget the Crusades and the Christians killing the other Christians for not worshipping in a "Christian" way.

It is a rather humerous paradox.

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
Pretty much anyone who kills anyone is a straight up nut, unless it was in self-defense.

But in this case, it was not.

Don't forget the Crusades and the Christians killing the other Christians for not worshipping in a "Christian" way.

It is a rather humerous paradox.
That's what I said, apparantely doesn't work, "different" Christians.....;)

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
This may be another good forum topic but I'm just going to throw this one out there anyway... Do you thing the Bible was a good influence back then? To all the people who killed? There are verses here and there about how God and Jesus killed, or would have killed those that didn't believe.

It would be a good topic , as you said before we all have our thoughts on the matter at hand.

I am sure the bible influenced many, people including those who fought in the crusades, and they may have very well been card carrying members of some religious rite....but were they born again spirit filled christians ..and were they carrying out there agenda in the name of religion or were they really following the mandate of Jesus Christ...using the example were Peter cut of the man's ear

Mat 26:52Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Rom 12:19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but [rather] give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance [is] mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Luk 9:54 And when his disciples James and John saw [this], they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save [them]. And they went to another village.

2/3 of the world profess they are Christian and for very differing reasons then what Jesus espoused to in scripture.....!!!!

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
I love how you can discriminate within your own community.

Those people who killed in the name of Christ didn't really know him... Give me a break, they were Christian murderers killing in the name of the Christian god. You can twist it any way you want with your "interprutation" but it's bolagne.....:yes:
It's all seemingly one big box of chocholates to you, throwing all those who ,by lip service, espouse to christianity into one big mixing pot....:no:

Maybe you have skewed view of who I am associated with and what a community of born again spirit filled Christians actually are, that is compared to those who just carry the title, but live contrary to everything that Christianity pertains to.

That would make for a great topic, as well !!!!!!
I am speaking of the distinction between religion with true christianity.

I do disassociate myself, as well as many others I know with those who Jesus spoke of in the gospels:
Mat 15:8This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with [their] lips; but their heart is far from me.
Luk 11:39And the Lord said unto him, Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness.

Orias

Left Hand Path
It's all seemingly one big box of chocholates to you, throwing all those who ,by lip service, espouse to christianity into one big mixing pot....:no:

Maybe you have skewed view of who I am associated with and what a community of born again spirit filled Christians actually are, that is compared to those who just carry the title, but live contrary to everything that Christianity pertains to.

That would make for a great topic, as well !!!!!!
I am speaking of the distinction between religion with true christianity.

I do disassociate myself, as well as many others I know with those who Jesus spoke of in the gospels:
Mat 15:8This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with [their] lips; but their heart is far from me.
Luk 11:39And the Lord said unto him, Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness.

I don't see what makes you so different than all of the others.

Your just another person claiming individualism and truth. If you were contrary to what Christianity was, then you would be more like me. But your a hypocrit, and disacknowledge the fact that, perception is evident to denial and self deceit.

Everyone knows the ambuguity of the Bible, maybe thats the reason why theres over 500 different braches of Christianity (on that note, they all interperate the bible differently!) So, you can propose your propaganda as the true interpretation of what Jesus meant, but we all know, Christians killed each other more than they who they intended to destroy.