• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Killing for apostacy is against Quran.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
I agree. In most of the Qur'an's 50 references to fasad, it seems to be understood that we already know exactly what that entails.

I think the clearest definition comes from 16:88 - "Those that disbelieve and bar from the way of God -- them We shall give increase of chastisement upon chastisement, for that they were doing corruption."

Even without that verse, the fact that the entire qur'an is dedicated to defining the difference between Islam and any form of infidelity tells us that Fasad refers to anything disapproved of by Allah. Claiming that God had a son would be an obvious example.
In his tafsir, Ibn Kathir describes "fasad" to include "disbelief and acts of disobedience to Allah's law". That seems to cover just about everything!
And we know that 5:33 prescribes execution by torture as an appropriate punishment for "fasad".

stevecanuck

In his tafsir, Ibn Kathir describes "fasad" to include "disbelief and acts of disobedience to Allah's law". That seems to cover just about everything!
And we know that 5:33 prescribes execution by torture as an appropriate punishment for "fasad".

Verse 5:32 (at least a redacted version of it) is frequently quoted by those who try to 'prove' that Islam is a religion of peace. Those same people always pretend that 5:33, which completes the command, does not exist.

If they quoted all of 5:32 along with 5:33, it would be obvious that the Qur'an is not telling Muslims not to kill - rather it's telling them who to kill and why.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
More anti-Islamic rhetoric that quotes translations out of context etc.

I utterly disagree with that analysis.

KWED

Verse 5:32 (at least a redacted version of it) is frequently quoted by those who try to 'prove' that Islam is a religion of peace. Those same people always pretend that 5:33, which completes the command, does not exist.

If they quoted all of 5:32 along with 5:33, it would be obvious that the Qur'an is not telling Muslims not to kill - rather it's telling them who to kill and why.
Indeed. This is probably the most commonly misquoted and misrepresented passage in the Quran.
Far from forbidding killing, it actually and explicitly prescribes killing for "crimes" such as disbelief and disobeying Islamic law.

Cue the long and incoherent apologist explanations for why Allah didn't mean what he said, and why the many sahih hadith examples of Muhammad actually following this are misunderstood or, better still, unreliable.

KWED

More anti-Islamic rhetoric that quotes translations out of context etc.

I utterly disagree with that analysis.
Simply saying "But Context!" isn't actually an argument. You need to explain what the context is and why it changes the meaning of the passage.

Similarly "But It's A Translation!" is meaningless without further explanation.
It is worth bearing in mind that most translations were done by fluently bilingual Muslim scholars, and that they usually all convey the same meaning. It always amuses me when some random on the internet claims that all those devout Muslim scholars didn't understand what the Quran says, and they can correct them.
And there is also the issue that if the Quran has been revealed in a way that prevents it from being accurately translated, it is inherently flawed.