• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kill the Dog

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This dog is bigger than a Chihuahua:

The problem isn't just the size of the dog, it is all of the facts surrounding the incidents.

Police kill dogs at an alarming rate. In some instances they may be justified, in other instances they are not. I expect police officers to be trained in 1) environmental awareness 2) managing stress 3) not employing deadly force.

We can all call B.S. when the officer claims he felt he was in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm when a Chihuahua is the supposed genesis of such a fear, but when the dog is a little bigger it makes it okay and we should take the officers word?

I would like to see fewer dogs killed by police, regardless of their size.
Also, to shoot a dog when people are in the line of fire
says that cops value their own safety over civilians.
They'll risk killing a person just so they can avoid
being bitten.

dianaiad

This dog is bigger than a Chihuahua:

The problem isn't just the size of the dog, it is all of the facts surrounding the incidents.

Police kill dogs at an alarming rate. In some instances they may be justified, in other instances they are not. I expect police officers to be trained in 1) environmental awareness 2) managing stress 3) not employing deadly force.

We can all call B.S. when the officer claims he felt he was in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm when a Chihuahua is the supposed genesis of such a fear, but when the dog is a little bigger it makes it okay and we should take the officers word?

I would like to see fewer dogs killed by police, regardless of their size.

It's all about actual threat.

I've been bitten by a chihuahua. I think I have. At least, he was trying hard. Couldn't get through the levi's.

I've been bitten by a full grown Dalmatian. Trust me on this one; sixty odd years later, I still know that I was bitten by that dog. He nearly took my arm off.

there is definitely a difference in threat level there.

Curious George

Veteran Member
It's all about actual threat.

I've been bitten by a chihuahua. I think I have. At least, he was trying hard. Couldn't get through the levi's.

I've been bitten by a full grown Dalmatian. Trust me on this one; sixty odd years later, I still know that I was bitten by that dog. He nearly took my arm off.

there is definitely a difference in threat level there.
I am not sure you understood me.

dianaiad

I am not sure you understood me.

I guess I don't.

Perhaps you could clarify? I thought you were talking about, oh, that the size of the dog doesn't make any difference in the officer's experience or report. True, you said that you thought that fewer dogs should be killed by cops, and that the cops should be trained better in situational awareness, stress management and the options available other than deadly force, but that one statement...that the size of the dog doesn't matter when dealing with the credibility of the cop...caught my eye and attention.

Personally, I think that when a cop makes a report about an accident blamed on 'wind,' having him blame a dust devil for messing up his windshield, causing him to have a minor fender bender....

and when he reports that an F1 hurricane just pushed his car over the embankment, causing a crash, injuries and a totaled cop car....the size of the wind involved doesn't matter, and wouldn't be a factor in whether one believed him?

The size of the dog involved wouldn't alter the perception of danger in everybody present?

I have news; my son's Great Dane would lick a burgler silly before he growled at him. My little cairnchi would bark and growl like crazy. However, that Great Dane has caused considerable damage to others. He pulled ME over one day when he decided to go THAT way instead of THIS way...and when he realized that I was down and couldn't get back up, he trotted back and sat with me until I could, and was most solicitous. Probably the least dangerous dog I know, but I wouldn't want to be the one he ever got truly mad at.

....and my cairnchi, who weighs maybe 10 pounds, if that...couldn't hurt a toddler in full on attack mode. I know. He's tried. Toddler, one, Dobby, zip. Toddler now does anything she wants with and to him. Toddler thought he was playing. Now, of course, he is. But he wasn't. Scared ME silly. Toddler's mom wasn't a bit worried. She's seen her daughter deal with a cranky English bull dog.

Never mind. Rambling. Sorry.

Why wouldn't the size of the dog matter to the credibility of the report, if the dog were bigger than a chihuahua?

So....why wouldn't the size of the dog matter?