• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kill, Or Be Killed?

Kill On Behalf Of Genocidal Dictator, Or Die?

• Kill

• Be Killed

Results are only viewable after voting.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Under threat of torture?
Threat of death?
Threat towards friends or family?
Threat towards pets?
Threat towards ideology?

Where are your boundaries?
I would do everything I could to incapacitate the person without killing them. But, there is always a risk. I don't think that any rule is absolute though. There are always exceptions, even with killing people. Murder, however, seems to always be wrong.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I would do everything I could to incapacitate the person without killing them. But, there is always a risk. I don't think that any rule is absolute though. There are always exceptions, even with killing people. Murder, however, seems to always be wrong.

Black belt here.....
It was noted repeatedly in the fifteen years of study....
It is greatly easier to harm than to spare.

Sad but true.
I know where to hit and how to find my way to the target.
Unless I take the decisive blow first.....I can't be stopped.

and when dealing with someone of size or intent......

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
And this was exactly my point in the other thread. Hitler, and other genocidal maniacs depended on people like you. He couldn't depend on pacifists, who would rather die than enslave themselves to him. These maniacs depended on the threat of violence to encourage violence. Islamic extremists are doing the very same thing today.
and yet here I am not killing people for Islam either....

Interestingly enough, you still never addressed the point I made... you know, the point you used Godwins Law to completely avoid:
I wonder how many "pacifists" would hold to it if their own *** was on the line.​

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
and yet here I am not killing people for Islam either....

Interestingly enough, you still never addressed the point I made... you know, the point you used Godwins Law to completely avoid:
I wonder how many "pacifists" would hold to it if their own *** was on the line.​

You're not killing anyone on their behalf, because you're not currently within their scope of influence/coercion.

And.. I actually did address your point, both here and in the other thread. Open your eyes.

roger1440

I do stuff
It’s very easy to sit back in our nice comfy arm chair and philosophize what we would or would not do in a given situation, but until we actually face it, we don’t know what we would do.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Under threat of torture?
Threat of death?
Threat towards pets?
Threat towards ideology?

I can't answer this without being in this position in real life. More then likely neither. I would probably run and hide from the dictator in the woods somewhere. And when hunting parties arrived, I would systematically ambush and kill them from the shadows. And then run some more.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You're not killing anyone on their behalf, because you're not currently within their scope of influence/coercion.
I am not killing anyone on their belief because I can care less what a person believes.
It is a persons actions, not their beliefs, that will cause me to kill.

It matters not what they believe, a person comes after me or mine I will defend to the death if necessary.

And.. I actually did address your point, both here and in the other thread. Open your eyes.
Your dishonesty is not helping your credibility.

Sleeppy

I am not killing anyone on their belief because I can care less what a person believes.
It is a persons actions, not their beliefs, that will cause me to kill.

It matters not what they believe, a person comes after me or mine I will defend to the death if necessary.

Your dishonesty is not helping your credibility.

You're not comprehending anything, at all. That's fine. No need to hold hands.

Sleeppy

It’s very easy to sit back in our nice comfy arm chair and philosophize what we would or would not do in a given situation, but until we actually face it, we don’t know what we would do.

You're right. But this isn't really the point of the thread. Some people actually do know what they will do. Some have indicated that they would indeed kill on behalf of a genocidal dictator, under certain coercion. That's hardly something you would need to test. However, those who claim they would rather die, would actually need to pass that test of fortitude. In either case, those who do not actually practice pacifism and pass that test, are used to perpetuate warfare. It's something all people should ask themselves, especially Jews and Christians.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Under threat of torture?
Threat of death?
Threat towards pets?
Threat towards ideology?

JW's are no strangers to persecution and death for maintaining their Christian stand on political violence.

According to Wiki......

"Political and religious animosity against Jehovah's Witnesses has at times led to mob action and government oppression in various countries, including Cuba, the United States, Canada, Singapore, and Nazi Germany. The religion's doctrine of political neutrality has led to imprisonment of members who refused conscription (for example in Britain during World War II and afterwards during the period of compulsory national service).

During the World Wars, Jehovah's Witnesses were targeted in the United States, Canada, and many other countries for their refusal to serve in the military or help with war efforts. In Canada, Jehovah's Witnesses were interned in camps[2] along with political dissidents and people of Japanese and Chinese descent. Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses have previously been banned in the Soviet Union and in Spain, partly due to their refusal to perform military service. Their religious activities are currently banned or restricted in some countries, for example in Singapore, China, Vietnam, and many Islamic states.

According to the journal, Social Compass, "Viewed globally, this persecution has been so persistent and of such an intensity that it would not be inaccurate to regard Jehovah's witnesses as the most persecuted religion of the twentieth century".[3]"

The things you listed are not excuses, but reasons that some may give for breaking God's laws. We don't believe in excuses.

If we truly believe in God and have faith in his promises for the future, then even death will not make us compromise. Neither torture not threat of death will work on people of faith. It is at those times that God supplies the power beyond our human abilities so that we can face these things with courage.

2 Corinthians 4:7-9 "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed"

Not even death can separate us from God's love. ( Rom 8:35-39)