• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids and spirituality

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Do you think kids should be introduced to spirituality and/or religion?

Yes. It would help if they learn who they are and their place in the world so when (rather) they grow older and pulled toward some type of purpose, practice, community, so have you, they have a foundation in which to go by.

As long as the child is open and allowed to change as his interests and experiences shift, I don't see an issue with it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I know this wasn't directed at me, but raising a child in a specific religion without exposure to others is essentially forcing them into that religion.
Actually i do agree with you :) Children have to be able to have a basic understanding of as many religions as possible in the beginning, so they can choose them self what they will actually follow.

But when they have first made their choice i believe it is better to stay within that teaching, but i do understand others may see this different than i do :)

King Phenomenon

I know this wasn't directed at me, but raising a child in a specific religion without exposure to others is essentially forcing them into that religion.
Guess they’d have to probably be introduced to many over time. I mean, they can’t play all sports at once. I guess they could but…..So is the first religion they’re introduced to forced? Or should they be introduced to two at least in the beginning for safe measure? It’s kind of nonsensical when you think about it.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually i do agree with you :) Children have to be able to have a basic understanding of as many religions as possible in the beginning, so they can choose them self what they will actually follow.

But when they have first made their choice i believe it is better to stay within that teaching, but i do understand others may see this different than i do :)

I'm unclear on which teaching you mean by "that teaching." The religion of the upbringing or the religion of choice?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Guess they’d have to probably be introduced to many over time. I mean, they can’t play all sports at once. I guess they could but…..

I was about 14 before I was exposed to Christian religions other than Catholicism, and about 16 before I was exposed to religions other than Christianity. My only recourse when I decided Catholicism wasn't for me at around the age of 10 was agnosticism.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Isn't that like saying if the child isn't introduced to how other people parent their children, they are being forced into following rules set for them by their parent?

Wouldn't there be a way to teach the child the household is based on X religious foundation while letting him or her choose later on whether that foundation (which would be healthy) is right for him?

I've known a couple of people who changed religions but still respect the religion of their upbringing because it wasn't forced on them just taught as a structure for that child to live by.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So is the first religion they’re introduced to forced? Or should they be introduced to two at least in the beginning for safe measure?

You must have added this after I replied. If one is introduced to a religion, is taught that that is one one correct path, and is not introduced to other religions, it's essentially being forced into that religion.

I don't think there is a set number. My children were made aware that there were several religions outside my spirituality and their mother's religion and were free to choose to believe what the wished, or not to believe at all.

King Phenomenon

You must have added this after I replied. If one is introduced to a religion, is taught that that is one one correct path, and is not introduced to other religions, it's essentially being forced into that religion.

I don't think there is a set number. My children were made aware that there were several religions outside my spirituality and their mother's religion and were free to choose to believe what the wished, or not to believe at all.
How many parents do you actually really think say this is the correct path though?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
How would they know they want to be introduced to it if they aren't introduced to it?

There ya go...

They will hear about religion from peers and education. It should be up to them whether they want to get further involved or not.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Isn't that like saying if the child isn't introduced to how other people parent their children, they are being forced into following rules set for them by their parent?

I suppose so. Probably why many abused children grow up to be child abusers themselves.

Wouldn't there be a way to teach the child the household is based on X religious foundation while letting him or her choose later on whether that foundation (which would be healthy) is right for him?

I've known a couple of people who changed religions but still respect the religion of their upbringing because it wasn't forced on them just taught as a structure for that child to live by.

What would be the benefit of choosing later than sooner?