• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kharma/Karma

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What is your view on karma?
If you believe in karma, how does it work?

Being an atheist myself, I don't believe in karma.
Perhaps there are atheists that do. Does a non-spiritual mechanism for karma exist?

Behind karma, my first thought is a spiritual sense of justice. The universe some how corrects injustice.
I don't think so but maybe to you, karma means something else.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Perhaps there are atheists that do. Does a non-spiritual mechanism for karma exist?

Behind karma, my first thought is a spiritual sense of justice. The universe some how corrects injustice.

I think Fate or Destiny is more apt a term then Karma. Basically, every choice we make is constrained by past actions, present circumstance, and future desires, constantly pulling one along a un/desired path.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I like the idea of karma, but I don't quite understand if it's a supernatural belief or what. Sadly, some bad people don't get what they deserve.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

My girlfriend teaches yoga,she says karma isn't what most people think like if you did good things they come back to you or if bad the same thing,she used trump as an example of why this isn't true.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

For me karma means volitional action. Simples. This is the cause of the effect (fruit: phala).

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Also atheist who has no belief in karma. A person will cause things to happen with resulting fallout. That fallout could be good, bad or meh! Some accept that things happen, some call it luck or fate, god was looking out for me, or not, some call it karma

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I like the idea of karma, but I don't quite understand if it's a supernatural belief or what. Sadly, some bad people don't get what they deserve.

I think that is true as well. Good deeds often go unrewarded, bad deeds don't get punished as often as we'd like to think.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
For me karma means volitional action. Simples. This is the cause of the effect (phala).

There is always an effect caused by our actions. Whether that effect is good or bad I don't think is necessarily determine by the moral value of the initial action.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Also atheist who has no belief in karma. A person will cause things to happen with resulting fallout. That fallout could be good, bad or meh! Some accept that things happen, some call it luck or fate, god was looking out for me, or not, some call it karma
As a Buddhist term, it is not concerned with fate, destiny, the supernatural. I realise this is the common idea in the west; "He got what's coming to him."

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
As a Buddhist term, it is not concerned with fate, destiny, the supernatural. I realise this is the common idea in the west; "He got what's coming to him."

So is "karma" the internal desires/motivations which affect our choices?

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)

It depends what you mean by "supernatural". The Buddhist suttas describe beings reappearing in different realms according to their actions, ie kamma.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
There is always an effect caused by our actions. Whether that effect is good or bad I don't think is necessarily determine by the moral value of the initial action.

Yes, people sometimes do the right thing for the wrong reason.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Your mindful, willful thoughts and actions inform and build habits that you fall back on when you are not mindful. Sow skillful habits, reap skillful actions when you are not mindful. Sow unskillful habits, reap unskillful results when you are unmindful.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I'm not a big fan of the concept of karma but I understand it to be future experiences associated with a soul that plays out over many lifetimes. Good actions produce good karma and bad produces bad.

A soul's karma is stored with the soul on a higher plane of nature.