• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kesha and the Christian world religion in music

Riders

This is an earlier video shot by a Christian on the video Die Young by Kesha which supposedly has symbolism
that upsets Christians. Here's a video of a guy who's Christian and his criticism of Kesha. Not sure how long ago it was put up probably awhile because I put something similar to this up 5 years ago at Belief net. But I have another video done by Christians recently on her praying on Twitter after her new album release.

I want to start a discussion on what roles should religion play in pop music especially secular pop music.

Riders

This is a video made by Christians who say her twitter posts when she prayed to the Universe does not make her Christian

Riders

The thing is that I like Keshas music always though her videos to be cute and fun.I like the men dressed up like Egyptian soldiers in Die Young and even the symbols because they are interesting.

So I do not agree with Christians on here however I don't know that I agree with Kesha,she has the right freedom of speech to do everything she wants.
However the constant bringing in of symbols and spiritual stuff that she does does seem to come off as away of shocking people.

So sometimes her spiritual stuff sounds fake, on the other hand she has freedom of speech to say want she wants so be it.

There is another video talking about this and it criticizes her song Hymn but I will put up Hymn as a video and I think its saying something different then what Christians make it.

Riders

Ok heres a Christian talking about it to and talking about how terrible the lyrics are to Hymn.

But I see that Hymn can be understood differently and I think he is wrong about the song Hymn. I think the words of Hymn do suggest that she know she has problems that her decisions could be considered a sin,its an admission.

Could be considered an admission of Americans who have fallen.It could be their own way of saying we need help we need repentance.

Considering the tone of whats going on in our country I like it.

This is the Christian video about it.

Riders

This is almost the definition of rock and roll. Just sayin ...

Ok Id say yes under normal circumstances but with America being where we are at? Maybe I'm wrong its just a question I do believe in freedom of speech so yes she has the right. Is she doing it on purpose to stir up trouble? But its still her right freedom of speech.

I like Kesha and believe me I watch her videos alot. Its just a question thats all.

PruePhillip

This is an earlier video shot by a Christian on the video Die Young by Kesha which supposedly has symbolism
that upsets Christians. Here's a video of a guy who's Christian and his criticism of Kesha. Not sure how long ago it was put up probably awhile because I put something similar to this up 5 years ago at Belief net. But I have another video done by Christians recently on her praying on Twitter after her new album release.

I want to start a discussion on what roles should religion play in pop music especially secular pop music.

I recall this urban myth that "If you play a record backwards you can hear
the devil."
Actually, if you play it FORWARD you can hear the devil, for example:

contempt for authority
sexual permissiveness
drugs
violence
human pride
nihilism
narcissism
etc,

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Religion should create its own art and leave the secular scene alone.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
Music is art, music and spirituality seep into each other and reflect the soul's deep existential longing toward the infinite. Aside from that, they can't ever truly be separated (even if it's not apparent), whether it's music from religious musicians or music by atheists against religion.
But music (at least instrumentally) exists as an abstract and in some sense deserves to be appreciated as such, but the context and subtext music is grown from (via inspiration) and is surrounded by (culturally) is inseparable, even if it isn't of particular interest to the listener.

Of course there is lots of dry, superficial, attention seeking music too, which strives towards entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
the devil."

contempt for authority
sexual permissiveness
drugs
violence
human pride
nihilism
narcissism
etc,

Lol yes :grin:

What makes me chuckle about secular music in the 20th/21st century :laughing:

At one point in history it was daring and taboo to sing about this kind of stuff but at some point, the profanity filter just disappeared.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Who cares? Christian fundies get pissed over every little thing. It's like them getting mad over Madonna and Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga was accused of Satanism by morons, even though she's a Catholic. Personally, I welcome it. The intersection of religion and pop music can have some beautiful results. Like a Prayer by Madonna (prayer, not virgin @Rival ) is quite a personal favorite of mine. I find it very beautiful and spiritually inspiring and the video for it is definitely one of the best ever made. Her Ray of Light album is probably one of the greatest pop albums, as well, and that was influenced by Hinduism and Buddhism. Even when using religious imagery to shock, that can also have its place, such as with artists like Marilyn Manson.

As an aside, Kesha wasn't in control of her career until recently. Her career was controlled by Dr. Luke, who abused her and she wasn't able to get out of her contract. So who knows how much of her earlier music and imagery really reflect her beliefs or thoughts.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
the devil."

contempt for authority
sexual permissiveness
drugs
violence
human pride
nihilism
narcissism
etc,
You sound like a Chick tract. Hilarious.