• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Vs Amish: Religion Vs Safety

Otherright

Otherright
Eight Amish men have been arrested in KY for not adhering to a state law that requires them to put an orange triangle sign on their buggies. They claim that their religion prohibits their displaying the "loud" color. The state claims that it is for safety concerns on the highways.

At the moment, their is no law that allows for a compromise. So who is right, do the Amish have the right to refuse, or does the state have the right to enforce its law? Is the state's law unjust?

Opinions?

Amish men jailed for refusing to attach orange triangles to their buggies - GlobalPost

Kentucky Case Against Amish Men Should Go to Supreme Court - Yahoo! News

outhouse

Atheistically
they are just using religion as a excuse to do what they want.

No deal. Jail them.

they live in our country under all laws created equally. religion doesnt give you a get of jail free card.

people like that are a danger not only to themselves but other motorist as well.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Eight Amish men have been arrested in KY for not adhering to a state law that requires them to put an orange triangle sign on their buggies. They claim that their religion prohibits their displaying the "loud" color. The state claims that it is for safety concerns on the highways.

At the moment, their is no law that allows for a compromise. So who is right, do the Amish have the right to refuse, or does the state have the right to enforce its law? Is the state's law unjust?

Opinions?

Amish men jailed for refusing to attach orange triangles to their buggies - GlobalPost

Kentucky Case Against Amish Men Should Go to Supreme Court - Yahoo! News

Their religion doesn't give them the right to endanger the lives and well being of others. It is after all a public road. Also, the Amish in Indiana seem to have no problems adhering to similar laws, which not only require the orange triangle but also flashing blinkers.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I thought the Amish objection to ostentation wasn't about it being "loud", but about it being an article of pride.

A slow moving vehicle triangle isn't "bling"; it's a safety device. Its "loud" colour is part of its function, which has nothing to do with any "sin".

Otherright

Otherright
I see we all agree on this. I find religion to be no excuse when it comes to the public and its safety. There is actually an Amish community in this county, although this is not the county or community where these events took place, nor are we anywhere near that area.

Anyway, we had this problem a few years ago that resulted in the deaths of an Amish family including a small child and injury to the driver and passenger of a car. As they were negotiating a curve on a country road, the horse and buggy were ahead. It was dark and they did not have the orange sign displayed. The car, of course, collided with the buggy.

I have no issues with the Amish and their chosen ideologies... well, no major issues that can't be ignored. And I do enjoy the cheap, organic produce that comes from their community. However, when dogma endangers the community at large, then there's a problem.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
doppelgänger;2603022 said:
It would reflect light more brightly so that automobile drivers can see the buggies better and help prevent collisions.

It's a signal to drivers approaching from the rear that the vehicle is traveling much slower than normal traffic.

Wait, in broad daylight, why would this be necessary? Wouldn't it be obvious without it that the buggies are traveling slower than the rest of traffic?

(Please excuse my ignorance of the matter; I don't drive.)

Otherright

Otherright
Wait, in broad daylight, why would this be necessary? Wouldn't it be obvious without it that the buggies are traveling slower than the rest of traffic?

The orange is a cue. Your eyes pick up on it instantly and focus on it. Then you'll see the object attached to it. Day or night. Its just order in the brain.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The Amish don't have to use the roads if they don't want to obey the rules. It's not like they are paying any taxes for the roads or anything.

If they have an issue with electricity or phones they leave them alone, why not the roads as well?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Relying upon the Amish not to "forget" to put their triangles on, and to rely on their judgement as to whether or not there is enough light for automobiles to see them would be a stupid idea.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Relying upon the Amish not to "forget" to put their triangles on, and to rely on their judgement as to whether or not there is enough light for automobiles to see them would be a stupid idea.

But we CAN see them. Are Amish buggies invisible?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

buggies are very dark, and may be hard to spot during dawn or dusk. Also, see below:

The orange is a cue. Your eyes pick up on it instantly and focus on it. Then you'll see the object attached to it. Day or night. Its just order in the brain.

Again, endangering the public simply for the sake of people's silly, nonsensical beliefs is a dumb idea.

outhouse

Atheistically

its a law in some states cars drive with lights on to make them more visible

buggies with no lights and dark colored or black can be hard to see. In broad daylight its not a issue and why they have gotten this far.

they are still dangerous and not above the law due to a religious belief

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
At 60 mph, the sooner you notice something is moving slower than you, the better. At highway speeds milliseconds save lives.

Now a little bit of science- it's more difficult for a human eye to gauge the speed of something when it is approaching from the front or the rear. It can, but it cannot do so very quickly - the brain is limited to recognizing the gradual increase in size of the object rather than its motion relative to a fixed object like it can when viewing a moving object from the side. The orange color - in day or at night - gives off more light and is more likely to catch a driver's attention. The iconic triangular warning shape can be subconsciously processed by a trained driver who will be better able to bring their conscious awareness around to the object in front of them and assess dangers. Again, it's a matter of milliseconds. But in reaction times at high speeds, that can make all the difference.

Andal

resident hypnotist
This is for everyone's protection and those guys in KY don't have a leg to stand on. Here in PA the Amish have no problem with putting the triangles on their buggies so I find it interesting that 8 men think they know their religious rules better than the thousands of other Amish around the country.

Riverwolf, It can be quite difficult to see the buggies in low level light as well as areas that are more wooded as some of the roads in PA are. It is for their safety as well as ours. The bright color is far easier for the eye to pick up at a distance and our neurology is set up so that bright colors on dark objects stand out far more than a dark object with a shaded background or even a dark object with a light background. This is because our brain doesn't like light on dark so it causes us to take notice. We in PA don't make the Amish put lights on their buggies so the least they can do is put the orange triangle on their buggies.

Someone's religion does not make them above state and national law, especially when public safety is an issue. The Amish are not paying for the roads or contributing to taxes so the least they can do is abide by this one rule or stop using publicly funded roads.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
And on top of not paying taxes, they litter the public roads with horse excrement. They should be thankful that they're even allowed on them at all.