• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kenneth Copeland 'curing' people of Coronavirus through their television screen..

David1967

Premium Member
It certainly is illegal. Unfortunately some forms of crime are made legal under the banner of religion allowing this man to continue the scam.

I think it would make an interesting psychological study as to why so many otherwise educated people follow cult leaders like Copeland and other word of faith personalities, David Koresh, the Heavens Gate cult and so on.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it would make an interesting psychological study as to why so many otherwise educated people follow cult leaders like Copeland and other word of faith personalities, David Koresh, the Heavens Gate cult and so on.
It would be difficult to do that study unless someone started keeping indexed records of the minutes of services. I suggest universities could help society by doing so -- just by recording what happens at meetings. I guess its a huge undertaking, but I think its the only way to repair a lot of the problems caused by having a free society. Secrecy is not good for religions.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
He believes in what he is doing. If you don't approve, then just change the channel.
How do you know? How are you certain that he’s not fully cognizant that he’s willingly scamming people?

Even if he believes in what he’s doing, that’s still only part of the equation. Believing you’re anointed to a ministry and being anointed to a ministry are two different things. He may feel called, but has God actually called him?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It certainly is illegal. Unfortunately some forms of crime are made legal under the banner of religion allowing this man to continue the scam.
The loophole is probably that he’s touting Covid-19 as a manifestation of some spiritual sickness.” He’s not claiming to cure people of the virus, he’s probably claiming God will heal their spiritual infirmity. Nothing illegal about that.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Televangelism has always been a shady and scummy area of religion and in this case crosses the line whereas a person walks around thinking they're cured....

Televangelist Kenneth Copeland is “curing” people of coronavirus through the television

Would it be practical to see a law pass that prevents religious-based scumbags like Kenneth Copeland to impersonate doctors and medical providers in terms of giving a diagnosis and offering cures?
Especially so during serious situations like this.

Hefty fine and imprisonment are what is necessary. Nothing but embezzlement and fraud.

dfnj

Televangelism has always been a shady and scummy area of religion and in this case crosses the line whereas a person walks around thinking they're cured....

Televangelist Kenneth Copeland is “curing” people of coronavirus through the television

Would it be practical to see a law pass that prevents religious-based scumbags like Kenneth Copeland to impersonate doctors and medical providers in terms of giving a diagnosis and offering cures?
Especially so during serious situations like this.

It's not really all Copeland's fault. The way you become a leader is by finding a parade and stepping in front of it. Copeland did not force anyone to watch his TV show and make him rich.

The thing is I believe in the golden rule of karma. If you cause suffering others you will live a life of suffering in equal proportion. Based on the golden rule of karma who would want to live Copeland's life where everything you hope and dream for no matter how important always turns out to be a lie. Copeland cannot escape the karmic death trap created by his own self-loathing.

The same is true for the people watching the TV show. By the golden rule of karma if you only have faith in others or outside of yourself to solve your own problems then no one will ever have confidence in you being able to solve anything.

Last edited:

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
I love that you guys compare Copeland to Heaven's Gate where they all drank the CoolAid (I'm going to spell it wrong, just to annoy you) and poisoned themselves. And demand that it's illegal and he should be locked up.

First off, what he's doing should not be illegal in any civil society. He's giving people hope, true or false, that it may be. And takes more than a quick touch to spread illness. It takes continued exposure. This is NOT the Black Plague.

Second of all, that it probably is illegal to do what he's doing in certain states is rather telling truth that you have "drunk the CoolAid" and accepted martial law. Martial law, once enough people are unable to defend themselves, tends to result in a strong chance of regular people getting shot dead for trying to go to work, or for touching someone, or for wearing the wrong clothing. This usually ends in most of the population killed off. By contrast, Coronavirus has killed a small percent (about 2%) of an even smaller percent. When the state hates its people and manages to disarm them, you can expect about 1 in 3 or 33% of the population at minimum to be put down like dogs.

Third of all, get a grip. You have a remote, if something bothers you, why not just change the channel? Or could it be that it bothers you on a deeper level?

Stephen and Saul

Agent

Why bother watching if you don't like the show. All you do is get upset about it, and you complain about it while he stays on the air for you to watch him. I don't believe in cristian television, so I don't watch; it is a waste of time.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I love that you guys compare Copeland to Heaven's Gate where they all drank the CoolAid (I'm going to spell it wrong, just to annoy you) and poisoned themselves. And demand that it's illegal and he should be locked up.
You're confusing your religious predators.
The koolaid incident was a different religious guy in Guyana.
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's not really all Copeland's fault. The way you become a leader is by finding a parade and stepping in front of it. Copeland did not force anyone to watch his TV show and make him rich.

The thing is I believe in the golden rule of karma. If you cause suffering others you will live a life of suffering in equal proportion. Based on the golden rule of karma who would want to live Copeland's life where everything you hope and dream for no matter how important always turns out to be a lie. Copeland cannot escape the karmic death trap created by his own self-loathing.

The same is true for the people watching the TV show. By the golden rule of karma if you only have faith in others or outside of yourself to solve your own problems then no one will ever have confidence in you being able to solve anything.

Well suffice to say, I don't feel sorry for his followers anymore.

No doubt you get what you pay for.

David1967

Premium Member
Well suffice to say, I don't feel sorry for his followers anymore.

No doubt you get what you pay for.

I agree with you in essence. At the same time other scam artists who operate outside the religious mantle often go to jail when caught. That rarely happens when cult leaders like Copeland are involved. It is a real uphill battle with these guys. But yes, I am baffled at the huge number of otherwise intelligent and educated people who fall for charlatans like this.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I agree with you in essence. At the same time other scam artists who operate outside the religious mantle often go to jail when caught. That rarely happens when cult leaders like Copeland are involved. It is a real uphill battle with these guys. But yes, I am baffled at the huge number of otherwise intelligent and educated people who fall for charlatans like this.
But when I point out that religion, as a whole, teaches people to accept human authority instead of critically thinking for yourself I'm told that I am anti-theist and "just don't understand".
:rolleyes:
Basic Christian teachings till the ground for people like Copeland and Dollar and their ilk, encouraging gullibility.
Tom