• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ken Starr: "Impeachment is Hell."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Trump Lawyers Ready For Final Day Of President's Impeachment Defense

Shortly before winding down Monday night's arguments in the Senate impeachment trial of President Trump, defense lawyer Alan Dershowitz addressed the elephant in the room: whether potential testimony from former national security adviser John Bolton would alter the course of the proceeding.

Dershowitz was the first member of the president's defense team to directly acknowledge how recent Bolton news had consumed Washington, as speculation raged over the Senate possibly calling him as a witness.

Bolton's possible first-hand account of the events at the heart of the impeachment trial? Not necessary, argued Dershowitz.

"Nothing in the Bolton revelations, even if true, would rise to the level of an abuse of power or an impeachable offense," he said.

More detail on the defense was in the article, but I noticed a quote from Ken Starr later on in the article:

Ken Starr, who is defending Trump and who led the investigation into then-President Bill Clinton that triggered Clinton's impeachment, made the case that Trump's impeachment, the third impeachment trial in American history, shows that "we are living in what aptly can be described as the age of impeachment," adding the process is "filled with acrimony and divides the country like nothing else."

Starr, whose impeachment investigation of Clinton resulted in acquittal, framed impeachment in dramatic terms.

"Like war, impeachment is hell, or at least, presidential impeachment is hell," he said.

I'm not sure if it's hell for the president, hell for Congress, or hell for the rest of us.

But in a way, I agree: Impeachment is hell.

Audie

Veteran Member

More detail on the defense was in the article, but I noticed a quote from Ken Starr later on in the article:

I'm not sure if it's hell for the president, hell for Congress, or hell for the rest of us.

Its not just you guys, it is affecting the rest of the world.

When it is all all all over, I think this will prove to be a shabby
disgraceful episode in American history with few if any who
stand out as shiny heroes.

shmogie

AND, it is a total waste of time and money.

It is nothing but a method of committing a political hit.

No president has or will commit crimes so egregious as to be removed from office.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Its not just you guys, it is affecting the rest of the world.

When it is all all all over, I think this will prove to be a shabby
disgraceful episode in American history with few if any who
stand out as shiny heroes.

Some of us were perfectly content to wait until the next election. But there were so many others who just couldn't wait that long.

And now, we have an election season coming up. That's going to be another kind of hell.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He did the deeds to be removed and stepped down because he most likely would have been impeached and removed. Better to leave and let your VP pardon you after than bite an impeachment bullet, I suppose.
He was impeached, but resigned.

Jeremiah Ames

AND, it is a total waste of time and money.

It is nothing but a method of committing a political hit.

No president has or will commit crimes so egregious as to be removed from office.
O my.
There is an old saying:
He who buries head in sand, gets gritty eyes.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
After I saw the Clinton impeachment, and the party loyalty exercised over the president committing crimes, I believe Nixon would not have been removed from office.
He stepped down because it was likely to have come to that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He stepped down because it was likely to have come to that.
After I saw the Clinton impeachment, and the party loyalty exercised over the president committing crimes, I believe Nixon would not have been removed from office.
I wondered about that too.
It seems that he could've remained in office.

Back in the day, it seems we had a different view of impeachment.
But after Clinton survived the trial despite clear guilt, it all changed.
I now understand it's mostly a political contest.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I wondered about that too.
It seems that he could've remained in office.

Back in the day, it seems we had a different view of impeachment.
But after Clinton survived the trial despite clear guilt, it all changed.
I now understand it's mostly a political contest.

Seems folks expected more from Nixon and less from Clinton. Nixon was a greater betrayal of trust.

https://www.history.com/news/clinton-impeachment-lewinsky-scandal-nixon-resigned-watergate

Though after the #metoo, Clinton might have resigned to.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's "interesting" that Starr and Dershowitz both decided to contradict what they said a couple of decades ago.