• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ken Hams Ark

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
Has any one seen this attraction? Its a wonder it's still afloat financially speaking... What is it that people can "believe" that dinosaurs were saved on this thing from a global flood just about 7000 years ago.

A Visit to 'Ark Encounter', Where Creationism and Dinosaurs Collide

Along with this, did any one see the Nye vs Ham debate a few years ago? I dont blame Nye for doing the debate, he blew Ham out of the water... but in reality Ham didn't have to win, he just needed to generate revenue. I doubt it had any effect of enlightening viewers to any scientific reasoning.

Construction Begins on Noah's Ark Theme Park—Thanks to Bill Nye

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
I took my kids to see it ages 6 and 10, both kids wanted to know why there were dinosaurs on the Ark. I told the kids 30 years ago there were no dinosaurs on the Ark lol. All said and done a good learning experience for the kids generating a lot of conversation.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Dinosaurs had long served their purpose and were extinct by Noah's time.

YEC does not hold water either scientifically or Biblically. There were definitely no dinosaurs on the ark.

The Genesis account allows for a very ancient earth and long periods of creation.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Has any one seen this attraction? Its a wonder it's still afloat financially speaking... What is it that people can "believe" that dinosaurs were saved on this thing from a global flood just about 7000 years ago.
The current young earth fad exploded when Morris published the book The Genesis Flood and began peddling it in churches. Ministers were very open to this as they were ill positioned to deal with a non literal Bible or evolution, and they were beholden to the congregations whom they had been assuring. Ministers had/have to maintain a certain set of beliefs publicly, or their livelihoods come into question. They have to believe harder, speak more sincerely, dress more appropriately, effect more humility.

Milton Platt

Along with this, did any one see the Nye vs Ham debate a few years ago? I dont blame Nye for doing the debate, he blew Ham out of the water... but in reality Ham didn't have to win, he just needed to generate revenue. I doubt it had any effect of enlightening viewers to any scientific reasoning.

He conned local taxpayers into subsidizing it.

Speaking of being afloat, if a wooden boat that size was sea-worthy, he could have built it as a boat instead of a building. Any boat builder will tell you that it is not.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

It makes no sense, trying to tie the Noachian Flood to YEC.

They are separate fields for discussion. Believing in one, does not require believing the other.

There’s the flaw with “The Genesis Flood” book, which I have. The diverse evidences presented in the book for the Genesis Flood are compelling, but then turning around and tying it to a Young Earth interpretation, negates it’s efficacy, IMO.

Just like saying ‘dinosaur footprints next to human footprints indicates a Young Earth’. It supports no such idea! It has no bearing on when the first dinosaurs appeared....it only reveals that human- and dinosaur- existence overlapped. And the soft tissue recently discovered in dinosaurs would promote this conclusion.

But it does not reinforce a YEC view! Grief! Neither does the Flood.

(I’m done ranting. Excuse me.)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

They are separate fields for discussion. Believing in one, does not require believing the other.

There’s the flaw with “The Genesis Flood” book, which I have. The diverse evidences presented in the book for the Genesis Flood are compelling, but then turning around and tying it to a Young Earth interpretation, negates it’s efficacy, IMO.

Just like saying ‘dinosaur footprints next to human footprints indicates a Young Earth’. It supports no such idea! It has no bearing on when the first dinosaurs appeared....it only reveals that human- and dinosaur- existence overlapped. And the soft tissue recently discovered in dinosaurs would promote this conclusion.

It does not really matter since anyone that can understand science at above the middle school level (and I am being conservative here) knows that the story is a myth.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think more people attend for the entertainment and a good laugh rather than the actual belief. By tourist trap standards, Ken Ham made himself a pretty good one.

Audie

Veteran Member

Gosh! You are making a good try at
applying fact and logic here, but stopping
way short, esp when it is not supportive
of your preconceived ideas!

Examples-
There are no human / dinosaur footprints
such as you describe, and, "dinosaur soft
tissue" is wildly misunderstood and misrepresented
in creationist or pop sources. Dont be
a chump, for those!

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I'm always surprised by people accepting the bible as anything but myth.
The bible, to me, is the source of fallacy and realistic stories of lost reasoning.
But...a lot of people think that the bible is a book of `God's` words of truth,
not the writings of men of insufficient education. Imagination, nothing more.
Just interesting stories, nothing more. Did I say nothing more ?

gnostic

The Lost One
He conned local taxpayers into subsidizing it.

Speaking of being afloat, if a wooden boat that size was sea-worthy, he could have built it as a boat instead of a building. Any boat builder will tell you that it is not.

What I would like to see Ham’s Ark be in the very same conditions that in the 3rd millennium BCE, that Noah supposedly were in.

That Ham cannot have more than 7 adults with him in the Ark, with as much as animals he can fit in the Ark, with only the food and water they can carry on board (so no resupply). And there must be no electricity, no fridge and freezers, no modern stoves, no modern ovens, no microwave, no outside communication (hence no radio).

And since Noah’s Flood was in a storm that lasted for 40 days, and spent a whole year in the Ark, then Ham’s Ark must be in the middle of an ocean during the seasons of tropical storms and hurricanes or cyclones. And no one can leave the Ark until after 300 days. And there must be no outside help.

If Ham and his crew can achieve and survive all that without help, and without sinking and without a single animal or human dying, then and only then would I believe the Ark is real and historical and seaworthy.

Audie

Veteran Member
I'm always surprised by people accepting the bible as anything but myth.
The bible, to me, is the source of fallacy and realistic stories of lost reasoning.
But...a lot of people think that the bible is a book of `God's` words of truth,
not the writings of men of insufficient education. Imagination, nothing more.
Just interesting stories, nothing more. Did I say nothing more ?

Bible and Koran, the two most overstudied and
overerrated books imaginable

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Since we're in a debate forum...

It will not serve you well to be so credulous, so easily fooled.

David T

Premium Member

the bible as a cartoon phenomena? Yes religion has that covered by a small sector. Is it science? It the very least reveals confirmation bias exists just like bigfoot research exists....
download (18).jpeg

David T

Premium Member
It does not really matter since anyone that can understand science at above the middle school level (and I am being conservative here) knows that the story is a myth.
Till 1780 global flooding was scientific fact and water was "believed" to be the primary driving force of geological change.

The least expert on the bible are highly educated theologians and scientists. The story is about 10-20,000 years old based on geological facts. Its also dealing with another fact population bottle neck which we see in a large scale occurance globally today.

So when reading the text 2 facts exist in the text, and they are placed into story form to be carried along for thousands and thousands of years before writing occurs.. Exactly like folk or root music. Art is not the domain of religion or science art occurs in religion and science.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Till 1780 global flooding was scientific fact and water was "believed" to be the primary driving force of geological change.

The least expert on the bible are highly educated theologians and scientists. The story is about 10-20,000 years old based on geological facts. Its also dealing with another fact population bottle neck which we see in a large scale occurance globally today.

So when reading the text 2 facts exist in the text, and they are placed into story form to be carried along for thousands and thousands of years before writing occurs.. Exactly like folk or root music. Art is not the domain of religion or science art occurs in religion and science.
No, it was never "scientific fact". Where did you get that from? And the story is much younger than that. In fact it appears to be less than 3,000 years old. The actual flood that inspired the myth was probably about 4,900 years ago:

Yes, Noah's Flood May Have Happened, But Not Over the Whole Earth

And no, there was no population bottleneck caused by the flood that inspired the myth. There is no global population bottleneck that would support the flood, especially one as universal as the flood would have caused. Read up on the population bottleneck, one of almost Noachian intensity, about ten thousand years ago. That is still obvious today. We do not see that in all land based life.

David T

Premium Member
No, it was never "scientific fact". Where did you get that from? And the story is much younger than that. In fact it appears to be less than 3,000 years old. The actual flood that inspired the myth was probably about 4,900 years ago:

Yes, Noah's Flood May Have Happened, But Not Over the Whole Earth

And no, there was no population bottleneck caused by the flood that inspired the myth. There is no global population bottleneck that would support the flood, especially one as universal as the flood would have caused. Read up on the population bottleneck, one of almost Noachian intensity, about ten thousand years ago. That is still obvious today. We do not see that in all land based life.
Oh a simple wikipedia reading to start with in regards to geology. Its a joke in its development in how influenced geology is by the bible aka pre Hutton.

So those idiots which clearly they are figured out that fire or heat was the driving force of geologic formations instead of water. Heraclitus already said as much in 500 bc. Where is the deep disconnect from heraclitus and modern science in a span of 2,000 years? christianity.....in particular ular the institution.

And no the when the text was written does not determine the age of the story thats horrid bad science again. A story can and does exist long long before its recorded. That emperical fact. We take that fact and we take the glacial flooding say missoula floods right over there in eastern washington, idaho montana and oregon we have a perfect match. The lake missoula floods happened 12-17 thousand yeas ago. Fact.

I have pointed out "science" is garbage in context to the bible, theology is garbage in context to nature. No wonder science and religion conflict in normal world.