• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kemeticism - Ask Me Anything

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I. That there is an after death judgement by God.

II. That those who have gone before us can hear us and help us.

III. That prayer, rituals, incantations etc. are effective.
It interests me that you capitalize "God", while Kemeticism is polytheistic. Which Egyptian deity do you think of when you say "God"?

About your second answer, is that akin to ancestor worship? Do you pray to your ancestors?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to point out that this thread is not about my personal beliefs, so I don't want to make it about me, but about the religion.

Which deities do you worship and how do you do so?
I used to do certain rituals and invoke certain Names etc., but since I moved I've not been able to bring all my stuff with me. Rituals are the main one though. There are lots of Gods and I will only list a few here, but Kemeticism has about 70,000+ or probably infinite.

Amun
Khepri
Horu
Ra
Inpu
Aset
Bast
Hathor
Sekhmet
Djehuty
Wesir

Etc...

It interests me that you capitalize "God", while Kemeticism is polytheistic. Which Egyptian deity do you think of when you say "God"?

About your second answer, is that akin to ancestor worship? Do you pray to your ancestors?
I'm a monotheist with an emanation/aspect theology. Yes, I would say I engage in ancestor worship.

Theban theology claimed that Amun was not merely a member of the Ogdoad, but the hidden force behind all things. There is a conflation of all notions of creation into the personality of Amun, a synthesis which emphasizes how Amun transcends all other deities in his being "beyond the sky and deeper than the underworld". One Theban myth likened Amun's act of creation to the call of a goose, which broke the stillness of the primeval waters and caused the Ogdoad and Ennead to form. Amun was separate from the world, his true nature was concealed even from the other gods. At the same time, however, because he was the ultimate source of creation, all the gods, including the other creators, were merely aspects of Amun. Amun eventually became the supreme god of the Egyptian pantheon because of this belief.

Wiki, quoting Allen, Middle Egyptian, pp.182-183.

Is this a judgment considering a person's moral worth? Or are there other considerations (piety etc.) that people are judged for?

Hail, Usekh-nemmt, who comest forth from Anu, I have not committed sin.

Hail, Hept-khet, who comest forth from Kher-aha, I have not committed robbery with violence.

Hail, Fenti, who comest forth from Khemenu, I have not stolen.

Hail, Am-khaibit, who comest forth from Qernet, I have not slain men and women.

Hail, Neha-her, who comest forth from Rasta, I have not stolen grain.

Hail, Ruruti, who comest forth from heaven, I have not purloined offerings.

Hail, Arfi-em-khet, who comest forth from Suat, I have not stolen the property of God.

Hail, Neba, who comest and goest, I have not uttered lies.

Hail, Set-qesu, who comest forth from Hensu, I have not carried away food.

Hail, Utu-nesert, who comest forth from Het-ka-Ptah, I have not uttered curses.

Hail, Qerrti, who comest forth from Amentet, I have not committed adultery, I have not lain with men. [male pov homosexuality, but this one is disputed and may refer to pedrasty].

Hail, Her-f-ha-f, who comest forth from thy cavern, I have made none to weep.

Hail, Basti, who comest forth from Bast, I have not eaten the heart.

Hail, Ta-retiu, who comest forth from the night, I have not attacked any man.

Hail, Unem-snef, who comest forth from the execution chamber, I am not a man of deceit.

Hail, Unem-besek, who comest forth from Mabit, I have not stolen cultivated land.

Hail, Neb-Maat, who comest forth from Maati, I have not been an eavesdropper.

Hail, Tenemiu, who comest forth from Bast, I have not slandered [no man].

Hail, Sertiu, who comest forth from Anu, I have not been angry without just cause.

Hail, Tutu, who comest forth from Ati, I have not debauched the wife of any man.

Hail, Uamenti, who comest forth from the Khebt chamber, I have not debauched the wife of [any] man.

Hail, Maa-antuf, who comest forth from Per-Menu, I have not polluted myself.

Hail, Her-uru, who comest forth from Nehatu, I have terrorized none.

Hail, Khemiu, who comest forth from Kaui, I have not transgressed [the law].

Hail, Shet-kheru, who comest forth from Urit, I have not been wroth.

Hail, Nekhenu, who comest forth from Heqat, I have not shut my ears to the words of truth.

Hail, Kenemti, who comest forth from Kenmet, I have not blasphemed.

Hail, An-hetep-f, who comest forth from Sau, I am not a man of violence.

Hail, Sera-kheru, who comest forth from Unaset, I have not been a stirrer up of strife.

Hail, Neb-heru, who comest forth from Netchfet, I have not acted with undue haste.

Hail, Sekhriu, who comest forth from Uten, I have not pried into matters.

Hail, Neb-abui, who comest forth from Sauti, I have not multiplied my words in speaking.

Hail, Nefer-Tem, who comest forth from Het-ka-Ptah, I have wronged none, I have done no evil.

Hail, Tem-Sepu, who comest forth from Tetu, I have not worked witchcraft against the king.

Hail, Ari-em-ab-f, who comest forth from Tebu, I have never stopped [the flow of] water.

Hail, Ahi, who comest forth from Nu, I have never raised my voice.

Hail, Uatch-rekhit, who comest forth from Sau, I have not cursed God.

Hail, Neheb-ka, who comest forth from thy cavern, I have not acted with arrogance.

Hail, Neheb-nefert, who comest forth from thy cavern, I have not stolen the bread of the gods.

Hail, Tcheser-tep, who comest forth from the shrine, I have not carried away the khenfu cakes from the Spirits of the dead.

Hail, An-af, who comest forth from Maati, I have not snatched away the bread of the child, nor treated with contempt the god of my city.

Hail, Hetch-abhu, who comest forth from Ta-she, I have not slain the cattle belonging to the god.

These precepts are not the same all the time as there is no standard text for Books of the Dead, but they are usually close enough. Books of the Dead were tailor made to individuals, so a soldier, for example, couldn't say he hadn't killed.

Last edited:
I've made this thread for me also to be able to explore my religion further, as well as to educate others about it.

:)
What books / resources might I use to learn more about your religion so I can add them to my library? I really like reading about different religions and I was wondering what you think is the biggest misconception about Kemeticism?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
What books / resources might I use to learn more about your religion so I can add them to my library? I really like reading about different religions and I was wondering what you think is the biggest misconception about Kemeticism?
That it's like European Paganisms. It's much more like Dharmic faith.

I would recommend anything by Sharon laBorde.
Buy various Kemetic texts with commentaries (E.g., Book of Gates, Amduat, Book of the Dead, there are more).
Jan Assman writes good books on Ancient Egypt, as does Erik Hornung - note that these two present their findings somewhat differently and reach different conclusions. Hornung has no time for any ideas of monotheism whereas Assman has, for example.
Avoid Victorian writers or really anything pre 70s, because it's woefully outdated.
Toby Wilkinson's book The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt is pretty universally panned as terrible and I can confirm it is.

That it's like European Paganisms. It's much more like Dharmic faith.

I would recommend anything by Sharon laBorde.
Buy various Kemetic texts with commentaries (E.g., Book of Gates, Amduat, Book of the Dead, there are more).
Jan Assman writes good books on Ancient Egypt, as does Erik Hornung - note that these two present their findings somewhat differently and reach different conclusions. Hornung has no time for any ideas of monotheism whereas Assman has, for example.
Avoid Victorian writers or really anything pre 70s, because it's woefully outdated.
Toby Wilkinson's book The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt is pretty universally panned as terrible and I can confirm it is.
Yeah I read Jan Assman's book about finding God in ancient egypt and it was really neato! I have heard some comparisons to Dharmic religion in the past and it's interesting that you make that comparison here. I really appreciate the book recommendations.