• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keeping Up With The Times

Lightkeeper

Have you ever noticed that some people choose to ignore new findings? They prefer to stay in the mode they have always have been in. This can range from ignoring scientific findings to refusing to use modern equipment. I have older relatives who refuse to learn anything about computers. They feel computers are not necessary. Why do some us prefer to remain ignorant and are resistant to change?

Pah

Uber all member
Lightkeeper said:
Have you ever noticed that some people choose to ignore new findings? They prefer to stay in the mode they have always have been in. This can range from ignoring scientific findings to refusing to use modern equipment. I have older relatives who refuse to learn anything about computers. They feel computers are not necessary. Why do some us prefer to remain ignorant and are resistant to change?

There was a whole movement called Luddites that originated in England to turn back the tide of the mechanization of the mills. I have no idea what the motives are for any sort of regression

-pah-

Mystic

Change is a scary thing for some people. They prefer to leave things the way they are. My parents are afraid of the new technology.

I once bought my Dad a motorized camera. When he couldn't figure out how to rewind the film he panicked, opened the back of the camera and starting reefing out the film.

Lately...he's embraced the internet...which is a big step for him...the sad truth is my Mom is sick..so I think it's a way for him to escape.
I have to constantly accept change in my job as I'm surrounded by technology that's continuingly being upgraded...so I've accepted change...and just go with the flow.

Ceridwen018

In the horse business, you run into a ton of veterinarians and farriers who refuse to go to conventions and read up on new discoveries and materials. They figure that their customers are happy enough as it is, they don't need to change anything. They don't have the same types of standards as people doctors do, so they can get away with mediocre knowledge...that is, until they are presented with a more advanced problem, at which time they attempt to fix it anyhow, most of the time due to their obvious pride.

It's very hard to find a good horse doctor or blacksmith around here. I make it my mission to learn as much as I can about each field, so that I can effectively drill new candidates in an interview. Bottom line--antiquated methods can help you get by, but they'll never allow you to graduate from mediocrity.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The way people handle (or fail to handle) change reminds me that we are a very conservative species. It's only been in the last two hundred years or so that societies have routinely changed dramatically during the lifespan of any of their members. Nowadays, you can count on society changing during your lifetime, and that throws a lot of people off -- it's as if we are not evolved to deal with such rapid change.

maggie2

Many people are afraid of change and fight it, wasting energy. I think we all fight change at times, but those who don't like change fight it most of the time.

Personally I try to adapt to the changes that happen in my life, sometimes more successfully than others. I try to remember that life is all about change and without it we would be stagnant. I know this, when I don't try to fight the changes it makes my life a whole lot easier.