• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keep politics out of art?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
McCarthyism seems ironic by which every right winger is apparently now a racist or fascist.
No, just the racist and fascist ones.

The American right wing certainly has a problem with both racism and fascism right now, but it's very possible to be on the right economically and politically without being either of those things. It's getting harder and harder to find such a person in the US right now, but they're pretty common in the rest of the world.

Edit: I mean, it's been less than a year since your country's fascist putsch, and your right wing party has done basically nothing about the surprisingly large number of its elected officials who supported it. Maybe lay off complaining about Republicans being called "fascist" until the support for fascism dies down a bit.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There's politics in all the art I'm familiar with.

Edit: do you mean that you ignore the politics in art?

To me the political statement made is part of the fiction. IOW, political statements made in art are for entertainment purposes only. It's fictional situations, fictional characters, fictional images. Any actually connection to real world politics exist in the mind of the artist maybe. I'm not a mind reader so I don't pretend to know what that is. Or maybe in your mind. Again that is between you and the art piece.

So maybe I can say it this way. The politics in art doesn't affect me because to me, I see it as a fictional expression based on a fictional narrative that someone has running around in their head which has no value outside of being entertaining, or not, to me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
To me the political statement made is part of the fiction. IOW, political statements made in art are for entertainment purposes only. It's fictional situations, fictional characters, fictional images. Any actually connection to real world politics exist in the mind of the artist maybe. I'm not a mind reader so I don't pretend to know what that is. Or maybe in your mind. Again that is between you and the art piece.

So maybe I can say it this way. The politics in art doesn't affect me because to me, I see it as a fictional expression based on a fictional narrative that someone has running around in their head which has no value outside of being entertaining, or not, to me.
Ah... so you're taking a narrow view, focused on things like plot.

There's also politics in the broader context of the art.

A formulaic action movie with no LGBTQ characters is making a political statement about the place (or lack thereof) for LGBTQ people in society.

Deciding to paint a bowl of fruit or make a fluff piece movie is a political statement, since it's also a decision not to use that expression to speak to overt political issues.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Ah... so you're taking a narrow view, focused on things like plot.

There's also politics in the broader context of the art.

A formulaic action movie with no LGBTQ characters is making a political statement about the place (or lack thereof) for LGBTQ people in society.

Deciding to paint a bowl of fruit or make a fluff piece movie is a political statement, since it's also a decision not to use that expression to speak to overt political issues.

Our perhaps I suffer from a lack of sophistication. Honestly, I'll watch a movie, find it entertaining and someone will complain about the, moral message, cultural message, the "wokeism" etc... and I'll feel like it blew right past me, flew over my head.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Our perhaps I suffer from a lack of sophistication. Honestly, I'll watch a movie, find it entertaining and someone will complain about the, moral message, cultural message, the "wokeism" etc... and I'll feel like it blew right past me, flew over my head.
The way I see it, even the act of pointing a camera at one specific thing says that that thing is important in a way that everything else is not. In a world with political issues, even the choice of subject - including the decision to be "apolitical" - is inherently political.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
That's the power of normalcy. Once we've accepted certain things as "normal", we will not question them most of the time, and the people who do question them will generally come off as weirdos and nutters. For example, used to be that homophobia or the absence of non-sexualized female characters was considered normal and therefore unquestionable, but this is no longer true for a majority of movie makers (and therefore, by extension, a large portion of the moviegoing public).

The phenomenon of today with its substantial portion of "anti-SJW" complainers is a symptom of a society where significant portions no longer share a sense of what's normal, and so we have clashing ideas of normalcy who all meet on the Internet to have pretend slapfights in which they will declare themselves the winner afterwards.