• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keep fingers crossed, another whack at Obamacare

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So as a Buddhist you enjoy the notion of Americans having more suffering????
Suffering is going about things the wrong way. Sometimes involving multiple facets for which suffering is expanded beyond its principal cause.

Obamacare is just not the right approach. I don't think it ever was intended to be. To date it hasn't solved any issues. For the few benefits, many more are paying the price.

Once Obamacare is killed, maybe the lessons learned as to how not to go about things will be instrumental for the formation and institution of a healthcare system that we can all live with and benefit from.

When that day will come I do not know.

Twilight Hue

And what would it be replaced with? Isn't that the most important question to ask?
Don't be too keen on replacing something bad with something potentially worse .
That's always a possibility, People already talk about how we had a working more affordable system prior to Obamacare. Those that couldn't, we all know Medicare and Medicaid, as well as instituted laws would not allow critical care to go untreated for anybody who walks in the doors of a hospital with a life-threatening condition.

This whole thing is about money. Not Healthcare.

We need something truly affordable for everyone. Not just those who are disadvantaged.

Vee

Premium Member
This whole thing is about money. Not Healthcare.

And that is exactly the root of the problem. Unless that is fixed, whatever comes next will be more of the same: expensive, non accessible to people with low/medium income, unsustainable in the long term.

Twilight Hue

And that is exactly the root of the problem. Unless that is fixed, whatever comes next will be more of the same: expensive, non accessible to people with low/medium income, unsustainable in the long term.
That's true.

But considering my financial picture since my health issues started, my deductibles have gone in excess of $7,000 which I have to pay out of pocket. I think that's pretty unsustainable in the long-term too. In fact, my finances have been devastated now.

I hate Obamacare, and I want to see it die.

Vee

Premium Member
That's true.

But considering my financial picture since my health issues started, my deductibles have gone in excess of $7,000 which I have to pay out of pocket. I think that's pretty unsustainable in the long-term too. In fact, my finances have been devastated now.

I hate Obamacare, and I want to see it die.

7000$ ??? That's insane. I understand why you would want to get rid of it.
Here in France we are lucky to still have a pretty good health system. Social security covers most of the health charges and private insurance does the rest, but over here that kind of insurance is highly regulated and companies are not allowed to increase rates as they please. There are caps and market rules they have to respect.
To give you an idea, if I go to a GP is France, no matter Which GP or where the office is located, the price is 23€ for the appointment. I get refunded 18€ from social security and the rest from my insurance so I'm covered 100%.
If I go to the dentist to treat a cavity I pay 83€. Social security gives me back about 50€, the insurance refunds another 20 something so I end up paying the difference, which is not a lot. Some insurances cover everything but they are more expensive. The one I have is affordable and covers my needs well.
This is not a perfect system but it covers all necessary treatments. The only times I have to put the totality out of my pocket is if I do something that is considered not health related, like teeth whitening or a peeling, for example - those are aesthetic.
We do pay a lot of taxes but at least we get the health care we need. Nobody here loses their house in order to pay for a cancer treatment. Needed care is not refused because of the fine lines in the insurance contract.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
From the Canadian view, the problem is running medical facilities as for-profit businesses. Get rid of that aspect and things will change over night. As I see it, for-profit medicine is a distinct conflict of interest.

Twilight Hue

7000$ ??? That's insane. I understand why you would want to get rid of it.
Here in France we are lucky to still have a pretty good health system. Social security covers most of the health charges and private insurance does the rest, but over here that kind of insurance is highly regulated and companies are not allowed to increase rates as they please. There are caps and market rules they have to respect.
To give you an idea, if I go to a GP is France, no matter Which GP or where the office is located, the price is 23€ for the appointment. I get refunded 18€ from social security and the rest from my insurance so I'm covered 100%.
If I go to the dentist to treat a cavity I pay 83€. Social security gives me back about 50€, the insurance refunds another 20 something so I end up paying the difference, which is not a lot. Some insurances cover everything but they are more expensive. The one I have is affordable and covers my needs well.
This is not a perfect system but it covers all necessary treatments. The only times I have to put the totality out of my pocket is if I do something that is considered not health related, like teeth whitening or a peeling, for example - those are aesthetic.
We do pay a lot of taxes but at least we get the health care we need. Nobody here loses their house in order to pay for a cancer treatment. Needed care is not refused because of the fine lines in the insurance contract.
Yep and I got the bills to prove it. Because of Obamacare, deductibles for middle class are skyrocket high. It's definitely enough to destroy a family's economic stability and is a fast road to impoverishment. Get enough people into the same situation and nobody will be able to fund Obamacare.

Personally it's my opinion that Obama is actually supporting big Pharma and the Juggernaut Healthcare industry. The profits they make off of insurance now because of Obamacare is phenomenal. A lot of people in high tier Health Care are making millions, if not billions now because of the mandate.

The irony is insurance companies actually are betrayed,. Forcing to make payments for the Juggernaut out of control healthcare industry and Big Pharma.

The funny thing is since I spend my work days primarily in Canada, I find their particular system of healthcare appealing although it's clearly going to Skyrocket taxes. But I would take their system over what we have in the US any day of the week. I could see some compromise, but I feel that we have to get rid of Obamacare first with extreme prejudice, or at least heavily modify it so middle class people don't keep ending up in the type of situation I'm facing.

I figure to actually kill Obamacare, if these votes don't pass, is to just wait till out of pocket costs increase further, putting more people into impoverishment over insanely high deductibles, and maybe then more people will start seeing the light and do something about it.

In the meantime I'm waiting in anticipation for this horrible program to end.

Twilight Hue

I'll believe it when I see it. I doubt he even has 43 votes. But, only time will tell. Personally I hope it fails. And, seeing how the GOP has been inept since Trump's election, I am not worried about it.
Even if it does we're not going to stop trying. Ever.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I figure to actually kill Obamacare, if these votes don't pass, is to just wait till out of pocket costs increase further, putting more people into impoverishment over insanely high deductibles, and maybe then more people will start seeing the light and do something about it.

In the meantime I'm waiting in anticipation for this horrible program to end.
That is one aspect, simply wait it out and let it collapse all by itself. The downside to that is that people like you will be homeless and living in your cars before the final death knell hits. So, clearly, something has to be done.

Twilight Hue

From the Canadian view, the problem is running medical facilities as for-profit businesses. Get rid of that aspect and things will change over night. As I see it, for-profit medicine is a distinct conflict of interest.
You know the only complaint I have about the Canadian system is that Dental Care isn't even covered. Hearing that surprised me at least in Ontario.

Many say that their employment covers the cost for dental care but I can't help but feel how people who don't have jobs would be able to gain access to Dental Care. It seems most just get painkillers from what I understand. I heard about that on a CBC broadcast highlighting the issues that people face when they have serious dental conditions. That and the incredibly high taxes Canadians pay.

But it's better than here from a healthcare standpoint.

Twilight Hue

That is one aspect, simply wait it out and let it collapse all by itself. The downside to that is that people like you will be homeless and living in your cars before the final death knell hits. So, clearly, something has to be done.

I'm confident it'll bottom out at some point.
People usually don't react until something happens, where they wake up and see the reality of it.

Getting seriously ill or injured is a sorry way to find out though.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm confident it'll bottom out at some point.
People usually don't react until something happens, where they wake up and see the reality of it.

Getting seriously ill or injured is a sorry way to find out though.
I look at it as being similar to the fire department. How many people would be into having a for-profit fire department or police department?

Caller: Help, I need assistance. My house is on fire.
FireBusters. Inc.: Thank you for calling Firebusters. Inc. Please select the response package you desire.

Press 1. If you are a Firebusters Gold Package client. Crews will be immediately dispatched.
Press 2. If you are a Firebusters Silver Package client and we will try to be there within 30 minutes.
Press 3. If you are a Firebusters Bronze Package client and we will try to get someone there within 3 hours.
Press 4. If you are not Firebusters client and need assistance. Have your credit card ready and we will dispatch a crew within 24 hours.
Press 5. To hear a duck quack.
Press 6. If you are not a Firebusters client, need assistance but do not have a credit card. Please hold for an operator. Your call is important to us. Thanks for calling Firebusters. Inc. We are experiencing higher than normal call volumes and expected wait time is 52 minutes. Please do not hang up.

@Nowhere Man

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

I look at it as being similar to the fire department. How many people would be into having a for-profit fire department or police department?

I think that's what happened here right now. People are made to feel so desperate they'll just take any type of program that is put on the table that sounds good without really looking into it.

Pelosi was certainly the poster woman for that. "Got to pass it, to see what's in it".

I'll give her credit, I see what's in it now.

pearl

Because the government is beholding to the people unlike the US where both the government and the insurance companies are beholding only to their share holders.

Twilight Hue

Because the government is beholding to the people unlike the US where both the government and the insurance companies are beholding only to their share holders.
For me, I think insurance companies were a chess pawn. I think what's beholden to is the juggernaut out of control healthcare industry itself , and big pharmacy.

pearl

For me, I think insurance companies were a chess pawn. I think what's beholden to is the juggernaut out of control healthcare industry itself , and big pharmacy.

The pharmacies are certainly out of control. Even before the ACA premiums were on the rise in part due to the uninsured receiving catastrophic care in the e r. "An ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure', or something like that. With the ACA these people could seek early treatment.
I happen to believe that health care is a right not a privilege.