• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

kaushika gotra

Vedic

Namaskar,

I am a brahmin from atri gotra and my sister got rishta from a brahmin family who are from kaushika gotra.

i am confused as generally people who have kaushika gotra are kshatriya and not brahmins as kaushika was a kshatriya from Chandravanshi vedic clan and not brahmin. And to be a brahmin one must have direct lineage from vedic rishis who are sons of Brahma.

Can some learned hindi tell me if these brahmins are brahmins or Kshatriya ?

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Kaushika gotra is associated with/descended from Vishwamitra rsi, if remember right.
It's brahmin then, if am not mistaken.

@Aupmanyav ji, can you confirm ?

Aum Namah Shivaya

Vedic

Vanakkam,

Kaushika gotra is associated with/descended from Vishwamitra rsi, if remember right.
It's brahmin then, if am not mistaken.

@Aupmanyav ji, can you confirm ?

Aum Namah Shivaya
He became Vishvamitra, but his originally a Kshatriya with kshatriya Blood, class and even Vansh. He became a brahmin by tapasya, but he was surely not a Brahmin by Varna and tribal identity. There are still people from his clans who are Kshatriyas/Rajpoots today. He was Adopted but not a True Brahmin if i am not Wrong.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You are right. And these are the primordial Rishis in the current 'manavantara': They are Gautama, Bharadwaja, Vishvamitra, Jamadagni, Vashista, Kashyapa, Atri, Agamarshana and Kaushika. I think I have a Kaushik gotra in my family, let me ask my wife. Yes, Mitraswamin Kaushikasya (in the line of Mitraswamin of the line of Maharshi Kaushika) - That was the gotra of the family where the sister of my maternal great-grandfather was married. I know because I perform the shrāddha of her one of her sons during the shrāddha paksha who was like a father to my mother.

However, I do not know the traditions of the community of our friend Vedic. So, do whatever is traditional in your community.

Last edited:

Satyamavejayanti

He became Vishvamitra, but his originally a Kshatriya with kshatriya Blood, class and even Vansh. He became a brahmin by tapasya, but he was surely not a Brahmin by Varna and tribal identity. There are still people from his clans who are Kshatriyas/Rajpoots today. He was Adopted but not a True Brahmin if i am not Wrong.

Namaste,

Personally i would consider "varna", as a choice, so if the person chooses to be a Brahmin, that becomes his Varna.

We see Varna in my community differently, for us Brahmins (or Kshatri ect) are not Born Brahmin/Kshatri but choose that path in their life and can go back and forth during their life between the Chatur Varnas, but this is dependent on their Karma not on their birth, My Purohit and many other local Pundits and Gurus ect are of the opinion that every individual has the chatur varna already as part of their self, so in one person their are the attributes of Brahmin, Kshatry, Shudr and Vaisha, and it is dependent on their situation and Dharmah of which of these attributes is dominant in the persons personality, this is backed by Shastra Parmana of the Purusha sukta for us.

Anyways i find this obsession only among the Indian and Nepali Hindus about "varna' and "gotra" but is not a factor in marriage in majority of our community.

Dhanyavad