• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kauna - Torch

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
In the younger futhark it's meaning changed to "Ulcer," and it took a much darker attribute... Interesting how the meanings change over time like this in the runes, or in language.

Reminds me of the rune "Wunjo." In both the elder futhark, and the futhorc, the meaning is "Joy." Over time, the word stopped being used in English, but another word came into use in reference to it, "Wen."

It's a word some even use today, still. What does it mean? According to the oxford dictionary...

wen1
/wen/
Learn to pronounce

noun
  1. a boil or other swelling or growth on the skin, especially a sebaceous cyst.

I appreciate the sarcasm made manifest in the English language. :D

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
In the younger futhark it's meaning changed to "Ulcer," and it took a much darker attribute... Interesting how the meanings change over time like this in the runes, or in language.

Reminds me of the rune "Wunjo." In both the elder futhark, and the futhorc, the meaning is "Joy." Over time, the word stopped being used in English, but another word came into use in reference to it, "Wen."

It's a word some even use today, still. What does it mean? According to the oxford dictionary...

I appreciate the sarcasm made manifest in the English language. :D

Interesting. I've always read Wunjo as "Ecstacy" there is joy in it, but it's got a wild side as well. Hence it's association with Odin/Wotan, whom also has a darker wild side.