• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kastrup explains how advaita (non dualism) is not panpsychism

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Panpsychism is not advaita. Bernardo Kastrup explains.

i started watching the video and there is an immediate problem.

consciousness is not non-physical. it is physical, or a type of matter. matter doesn't have to take a fixed form, anymore than consciousness has to take a fixed form . matter isn't "in" or "created by consciousness anymore than matter creates consciousness, or consciousness is "in" matter. forms arise from consciousness and forms arise from matter but matter and consciousness are not conditional until they become a form that appears to be separate from the rest of consciousness/matter. that is the illusion of maya and lila at play.

non-dualism implies that

matter = consciousness = spirit(vibration/movement)

this is understood in the kybalion. there are not 3 separate things, or one creating another/other. they are the same thing as ONE

to say that consciousness is not matter, consciousness not equal to matter just creates a dualistic view. to say consciousness is not formed, or a form is not a problem.

This Principle embodies the truth that "everything is in motion"; "everything vibrates"; "nothing is at rest"; facts which Modern Science endorses, and which each new scientific discovery tends to verify. And yet this Hermetic Principle was enunciated thousands of years ago, by the Masters of Ancient Egypt. This Principle explains that the differences between different manifestations of Matter, Energy, Mind, and even Spirit, result largely from varying rates of Vibration. From THE ALL, which is Pure Spirit, down to the grossest form of Matter, all is in vibration--the higher the vibration, the higher the position in the scale. The vibration of Spirit is at such an infinite rate of intensity and rapidity that it is practically at rest--just as a rapidly moving wheel seems to be motionless.

i disagree with the video

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The whirlpool analogy explains non dualism best.

Consciousness localizes and manifests the brain and body.

Just as a whirlpool manifests the activity of the waters in the whirlpool.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Panpsychism is not advaita. Bernardo Kastrup explains.

Ok separation of panpsychism and non-duality, check.

My view however, is that the consciousness, the experiencer is actually the second person perspective. The unconscious mind being the first.

The unconscious mind creates an hallucination for one's consciousness to experience. Non-duality eliminates the reality of the unconscious mind IMO.

So yes the scientific observer will observe the activity of the unconscious mind, the actual entity that is experiencing reality. They will not observe the hallucination created by the unconscious mind for the conscious mind to observe. If we could hook up the unconscious mind for video, audio, sensory perception then we could observe the unconscious mind creating the hallucination as well.

Our consciousness reality is a hallucination. It's no wonder we start to believe reality itself is a hallucination because that is actually what we experience.

Maybe we won't ever achieve sentient AI. The problem as I see it is the brain itself is very adaptable. Computers are very limited in this.

Also we seem to think that the consciousness we humans experience is the only type of consciousness possible, there maybe many types of conscious experience possible. Creating a philosophy base on our own unique experience of consciousness at best can only achieve a very limited understanding of the universe.

atanu

Premium Member
Ok separation of panpsychism and non-duality, check.

My view however, is that the consciousness, the experiencer is actually the second person perspective. The unconscious mind being the first.

The unconscious mind creates an hallucination for one's consciousness to experience. Non-duality eliminates the reality of the unconscious mind IMO.

So yes the scientific observer will observe the activity of the unconscious mind, the actual entity that is experiencing reality. They will not observe the hallucination created by the unconscious mind for the conscious mind to observe. If we could hook up the unconscious mind for video, audio, sensory perception then we could observe the unconscious mind creating the hallucination as well.

Our consciousness reality is a hallucination. It's no wonder we start to believe reality itself is a hallucination because that is actually what we experience.

Maybe we won't ever achieve sentient AI. The problem as I see it is the brain itself is very adaptable. Computers are very limited in this.

Also we seem to think that the consciousness we humans experience is the only type of consciousness possible, there maybe many types of conscious experience possible. Creating a philosophy base on our own unique experience of consciousness at best can only achieve a very limited understanding of the universe.

Who or what experiences the hallucination, if consciousness (as per you) is hallucination?

atanu

Premium Member
i started watching the video and there is an immediate problem.

consciousness is not non-physical. it is physical, or a type of matter. matter doesn't have to take a fixed form, anymore than consciousness has to take a fixed form . matter isn't "in" or "created by consciousness anymore than matter creates consciousness, or consciousness is "in" matter. forms arise from consciousness and forms arise from matter but matter and consciousness are not conditional until they become a form that appears to be separate from the rest of consciousness/matter. that is the illusion of maya and lila at play.

non-dualism implies that

matter = consciousness = spirit(vibration/movement)

this is understood in the kybalion. there are not 3 separate things, or one creating another/other. they are the same thing as ONE

to say that consciousness is not matter, consciousness not equal to matter just creates a dualistic view. to say consciousness is not formed, or a form is not a problem.

This Principle embodies the truth that "everything is in motion"; "everything vibrates"; "nothing is at rest"; facts which Modern Science endorses, and which each new scientific discovery tends to verify. And yet this Hermetic Principle was enunciated thousands of years ago, by the Masters of Ancient Egypt. This Principle explains that the differences between different manifestations of Matter, Energy, Mind, and even Spirit, result largely from varying rates of Vibration. From THE ALL, which is Pure Spirit, down to the grossest form of Matter, all is in vibration--the higher the vibration, the higher the position in the scale. The vibration of Spirit is at such an infinite rate of intensity and rapidity that it is practically at rest--just as a rapidly moving wheel seems to be motionless.

i disagree with the video

I understand that consciousness is consciousness. It is neither matter nor non matter. It is the principle of cognition that cannot be cognised. It is the ultimate cogniser. The main point is that it is non dual.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Who or what experiences the hallucination, if consciousness (as per you) is hallucination?

The conscious mind, the conscious self. The 5% of the mind that is conscious, at least part of the time. When consciousness is gone, there is no experiencer.

Consciousness is not an hallucination, the unconscious mind creates the hallucination for the conscious mind to experience. It is a function of the brain.

atanu

Premium Member
The conscious mind, the conscious self. The 5% of the mind that is conscious, at least part of the time. When consciousness is gone, there is no experiencer.

Here is a critical point on which Vedanta differs. Consciousness is never gone. The awareness of not knowing is awareness too.

There is a seer of the mind. When mind is active, world is there (waking or dream world). When the mind is inactive as in deep sleep, the world is absent. But consciousness is aware of this ‘not knowing’ state too.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I understand that consciousness is consciousness. It is neither matter nor non matter. It is the principle of cognition that cannot be cognised. It is the ultimate cogniser. The main point is that it is non dual.

consciousness is a physical thing. it cannot be otherwise

just as consciouness can be unconditional
E = m(c*c) can be unconditional. matter is just energy vibrating at lower/higher rates. the vibration creates the illusion of difference and form by contrast in vibration.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I don't hear him proposing that.

On the contrary, he identifies as an idealist, as do I. "Matter" is a form, "physical" is a form, as are their opposites.
its the extreme of materialism, or polar opposite. the medium/balance is that it's both and yet it has a third even.

we've had this discussion before it is in constant motion. it doesn't start/stop, it isn't fixed in it's eternal changing. nataraja symbolizes this with the tandava.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
its the extreme of materialism, or polar opposite. the medium/balance is that it's both and yet it has a third even.

we've had this discussion before it is in constant motion. it doesn't start/stop, it isn't fixed in it's eternal changing. nataraja symbolizes this with the tandava.
Forms are of the realm of Maya. Anything that is distinguishable from the "constant motion" is a form. "Physical" is a form, as it has contrasts. It is idealism, because it is mind that distinguishes.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
We may have to agree to differ. Before that I wish to note a point. Consciousness is not measurable like energy or any other matter. Furthermore,I am talking of advaita, wherein consciousness is that which cannot be pointed to.
i agree to disagree. consciousness has movement. it isn't non-physical.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Forms are of the realm of Maya. Anything that is distinguishable from the "constant motion" is a form. "Physical" is a form, as it has contrasts. It is idealism, because it is mind that distinguishes.
true but lila is eternal. only that which contains all conditions can itself be unconditional. maya is fixating on part of that reality because of time/space; which is fluid and not fixed.

Lila (Sanskrit: लीला, IAST līlā) or Leela can be loosely translated as the "divine play". The concept of Lila is common to both non-dualist and dualist philosophical schools of Indian philosophy, but has a markedly different significance in each. Within non-dualism, Lila is a way of describing all reality, including the cosmos, as the outcome of creative play by the divine absolute (Brahman).

The idea of three types of guna, innate nature and forces that together transform and keep changing the world is, however, found in numerous earlier and later Indian texts.[20]

atanu

Premium Member
i agree to disagree. consciousness has movement. it isn't non-physical.

I had asked for definition of ‘physical’. How do you know what is physical and what is non physical? Also, is it your concept that consciousness is physical or is it from some scripture?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I had asked for definition of ‘physical’. How do you know what is physical and what is non physical? Also, is it your concept that consciousness is physical or is it from some scripture?
it is physical because it has movement.

has nothing to do with any kind of scripture.