• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kashmiris

A-ManESL

Many Kashmiri Muslims are from families which traditionally followed the Sufi path. (They mostly are descendants of Kashmiri Brahmins, and were converted in the 14th Century). This does not necessarily qualify the Kashmiri Muslims of today as Sufis. Note that having a tradition of Sufi music and visiting dargah's of Sufi saints does not make a person a Sufi.

Regards.

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
I want to learn more about Kashmiri culture as I found out I'm part Kashmiri Pandit. I've heard one reason why India says Pakistan's claim on Kashmir is invalid s because Kashmiri Muslims were Sufis, and therefore had more in common with Kashmii Hindus than with Pakistani (Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashtun, etc) Muslims.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
I want to learn more about Kashmiri culture as I found out I'm part Kashmiri Pandit.

There are not many Kashmiri Pandits in Kashmir.They have beenn ousted and they living in other parts of India.

I've heard one reason why India says Pakistan's claim on Kashmir is invalid s because Kashmiri Muslims were Sufis, and therefore had more in common with Kashmii Hindus than with Pakistani (Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashtun, etc) Muslims.
Kashmir was originally a Hindu-Buddhist Centre .It was a shaivite like nepal. Heard of Kashmir Shaivism?

India considers Kashmir to be a part of India for several reasons
1)There are HUGE number of muslims in India.India had more muslims than Pakistan at the time of partition.Pakistan Hindus who were 10% at the time of partition hae been now been reduced to 1%.Even now pakistan has just few muslims more the number of muslims in India.India is now behind Indonesia and Pakistan.

2)MIillions of Kashmiri pandits have been ousted out of their homeland.Leh and Ladakh are still Buddhist majority.And Jammu is still Hindu majority.only Kashmir has Muslim majority population.Giving both Jammu and Kashmir is harmful these people.Remember :half of Kashmir is already part of Pakistan.What more do they need?

Can pakistan take Millions of Hindus? Either India should send all muslims back to pak or keep their hold on Kashmir.Why would a country be so foolish to keep muslims and give up Kashmir.

Last edited by a moderator:

zenzero

Its only a Label

A-ManESL

I want to learn more about Kashmiri culture as I found out I'm part Kashmiri Pandit. I've heard one reason why India says Pakistan's claim on Kashmir is invalid s because Kashmiri Muslims were Sufis, and therefore had more in common with Kashmii Hindus than with Pakistani (Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashtun, etc) Muslims.

Indian government's stand on the Kashmir issue is that Kashmir is an integral part of India based on the following:

(a) India holds that the Instrument of Accession of the State of Jammu and Kashmir to India, signed by the Maharaja Hari Singh (erstwhile ruler of the State) on 26 October, 1947, was completely valid and irrevocable.

(b) The Constituent assembly of Jammu and Kashmir had unanimously ratified the Maharaja's Instrument of Accession to India and had adopted a constitution for the state that called for a perpetual merger of the state with the Union of India. India claims that this body was a representative one, and that its views were those of the Kashmiri people at the time.

(c) India does not accept the two-nation theory that forms the basis of Pakistan and argues that Kashmir, despite being a Muslim-majority state, is in many ways an "integral part" of secular India.

The argument that since Kashmir has a rich Sufi tradition and hence cannot be a part of Pakistan is nonsense and the Indian government has never propogated this viewpoint. You must have heard someone's personal opinion. Sufism in South Asia is not restricted to Indian Muslims alone and also thrives in Pakistan. Sufis on both sides trace their spiritual lineage through the same Sufi saints (starting from medieval India; Moinuddin Chishti(RA) being the pioneer).

Regards.