• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Friend Buttons:
So, if the desire for sex is above understanding the Dharma and living the Dharma, this is when "adultery" really occurs? I'm not quite sure what you mean about karma in this, so I hope you can clarify for me a bit. I'm new to this concept. Thank you!

Karma has nothing to do with Adultery per se.
Let us start from the Beginning:
Humans whether by evolution or any other way is nothing but a part of the same Energy that is there from the beginning.
We all agree that everything that what we see or do not see are all Energy.
Energy is neither created nor destroyed. Energy only changes forms.
Likewise if there was X amount of energy in the beginning of creation then humans like any other forms or no forms are only part of that whole *X* amount of energy.
Everything in this universe is in harmony, meaning all the other forms and no-forms which are also Energies are in harmony with that total energy which is always larger than the individual EXCEPT us humans because of the MIND. A Mind which THINKS. A Still Mind is required to be in harmony but that is the most difficult part to STILL the Mind and basically all Religions or paths or ways are efforts in that direction as to how we can STILL this Mind.
As soon as any thought comes to the Mind the individual gets cuts off from that harmonic state and the balance gets lost.
Karma is all actions which always have a reaction [equal or not is a different subject] Where does ACTION come from? Action comes from DESIRES. One desires Chocolates and this desires becomes very difficult to give up as this desire remains in our thoughts and the thoughts motivates our actions towards fulfilling that desires and as have explained before as soon as any THOUGHT comes in the mind it disconnects the individual from the Rest.
The ways of Stilling the mind are to become conscious of every desire and slowly get rid of them so that the do not allow thoughts and allow the mind to be still. Mind it one can never force his mind to drop such desires as it comes back out of its own force which it develops and when forced comes back equally powerful and that is when individual commits RAPE etc. becomes Frustrated and that force makes his mind get out of control.
When action is without desire then it never develops a pattern and ends where it started.
Those who which to discuss more on the subject are free to do so.
Love & rgds

Buttercup

Veteran Member
It is normal for humans to desire "things" how can karma be attached to everything? We need to eat. We desire sex. I don't see this as having a karmic affect...it's only natural. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Buttercup,
When two lovers have sex, sex is a result of that love and not vice versa.
here Sex is not a desire.
Love & rgds

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Friend Buttercup,
When two lovers have sex, sex is a result of that love and not vice versa.
here Sex is not a desire.
Love & rgds
Ah, true. ;)

I have always had a hard time differentiating what is "bad" karmic desire and what is "normal" desire....It seems a fine line or one that is open to differing interpretations.

For example, I am a business owner and I want my business to be successful. When does my desire for a successful business run into karmic trouble? How do I know when my desire for success is entering a negative realm?

Ozzie

Ah, true. ;)

I have always had a hard time differentiating what is "bad" karmic desire and what is "normal" desire....It seems a fine line or one that is open to differing interpretations.

For example, I am a business owner and I want my business to be successful. When does my desire for a successful business run into karmic trouble? How do I know when my desire for success is entering a negative realm?
Give away 10% of your wealth to charity and expand your business. Is your business wholesome?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Probably the moment you've perceived that there is a 'negative realm' into which your desires may enter. A schism emerges in which you desire not to desire what you desire. :D Try escaping THAT strange loop.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
doppelgänger;1509938 said:
Probably the moment you've perceived that there is a 'negative realm' into which your desires may enter. A schism emerges in which you desire not to desire what you desire. :D Try escaping THAT strange loop.
Well said, Dopp. I am of the mind that it is far better to learn to properly fullfill desire, in a balanced reasonable manner, than it is to attempt to remove desire altogether.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"Desire" looks to a future intent, outcome or "thing". I would suggest that it's when the "future thing" that doesn't yet exist can so affect people, in the here and now, that trouble brews.

It's learning to recognize imagination at play.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Give away 10% of your wealth to charity and expand your business.
I try to do that. :)
Is your business wholesome?
I think so. :yes: I own a dry cleaning service for wool jock straps.

doppelgänger;1509938 said:
Yes, that trip sucks, doesn't it? I've gotten pretty efficient at wrangling out of that loop though. Practice. ;)

"Desire" looks to a future intent, outcome or "thing". I would suggest that it's when the "future thing" that doesn't yet exist can so affect people, in the here and now, that trouble brews.

It's learning to recognize imagination at play.
Very wise counsel, my Lady. :)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Buttercup,

For example, I am a business owner and I want my business to be successful.
This itself is the DESIRE-*The WANT of being successful*When does my desire for a successful business run into karmic trouble? How do I know when my desire for success is entering a negative realm?

Love & rgds

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
But even before the desire of the 'I' to be successful, there must be a prerequisite desire which is to be, i.e. ego.

Most people take their 'I' as a given, something that is as real as material objects around them but IMO, the ego only comes into existence and is maintained by the continuous struggle and desire to be. This is the alpha and omega of the understanding of Karma, and it will only come to an end with enlightenment, i.e. the realization of one's true nature,... the 'what' and 'who' one really is,...there is nothing else except birthless, deathless Being.

To understand that underlying the apparent multiplicity of the phenomenal world, and the apparent movement of time past, present and future, there is just ONE COSMIC EXISTENCE.

The kingdom of GOD is within, and it endures eternally due to its non-duality, i.e. not divided in time, not divided in space, not compartmentalized in knowledge.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ben,
Long time since read your post!
As usual you are right.
Best Wishes.
Love & rgds

n.b. do not know, who is wishing whom, though!

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
n.b. do not know, who is wishing whom, though!

Hi zenzero, since it is the ONE essence that is the underlying source of all that exists, in truth there is no other to wish.

However, agree that the illusion/maya/error of being independent and separate and having diverse desires is strong in humans,...which is why individually mortals are temporary creatures for ultimately it is only TRUTH that endures throughout eternity. :D

Little Joe Gould

Seeking God
To judge the wholesomeness of your desires, I would judge the fruits of your desires. When you crave a certain thing, does it lead to negative consequences typically or good consequences. Take some time for reflection and really think, "Is this desire having a positive impact on my life and the lives of others? Are my desires leading to true happiness or only momentary glimpses of pleasure?"

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend LJG,

Yes, one could do so i.e. THINK about consequences of each action, however the idea behind this is:
A STILL mind.
A mind with no THOUGHTS
a mind with No DESIRES.
The total THOUGHT process has to be stilled and by thinking about consequences one is still occupying the mind with THOUGHTS.
Love & rgds

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
...which is why individually mortals are temporary creatures for ultimately it is only TRUTH that endures throughout eternity. :D
Truth is relative, my friend. Truth is for those who still need it, as once you have it, there is no need for it.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend YmirGF,

Truth is relative, my friend. Truth is for those who still need it, as once you have it, there is no need for it.

One can never have TRUTH.
When Truth is there; one is not there; One becomes one with Truth and can be said becomes Truth himself.

Love & rgds