• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Ok. As usual, I'll be the odd wingnut here. No, I reject all variants of karma. Deal with it. :)

That's fine - I respect your right to disagree with me!

Can you go into "why" you don't believe that certain thoughts and behaviours lead to suffering and others lead to happiness. Sounds a LOT like "karma" to me ...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It would be really "dull" if we agreed on "everything". There would be NO point to a conversation or interaction! :)
I've already covered this topic several times on RF. I have heard all the arguments and should add that for many years I was a firm believer.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I've already covered this topic several times on RF. I have heard all the arguments and should add that for many years I was a firm believer.

I must have missed those posts!

So you DO have the ability to change your beliefs? Nice to know you're flexible! :)

I didn't believe in reincarnation in my previous life either :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Does karma adequately "explain" why some people are luckier than others? Some people seem to get a REALLY raw deal in this world. .. There certainly appears to be a HUGE gap between the most & the least fortunate individuals!
Sure, theists have their sufficient explanations. Atheists like me credit it to theories of Chaos, Probability and Uncertainty.

Grandliseur

the Golden Rule?
The golden rule has become, "he who has the gold, rules"; not, do unto others . . .

Karma is a Hindu and Buddhist concept. This I do not believe in: however ...
Payback
The Bible promises us that whether you are good, middling OK, or wicked, God will make sure that your actions come back to be paid in full while we live.
The reason Christians are told not to avenge themselves is so as not to become unclean and do wicked things. God's promise to avenge upon others what they do to us, and others, takes the need to avenge ourselves away.

This does not mean we cannot defend our own lives and those of our family members, and even others given the chance.
God believes in violence as a deterrent, and so do I as a deterrent force.

Unfaltering payback
Payback for our evil deeds and good deeds - come whether we believe it or not, whether we desire it or not.

Grandliseur

That's news to me! I always assumed God was a pacifist :)

Not sure how you missed it! :D

Flood - all wicked killed. Perhaps some will be resurrected, most won't.
Sodom & Gomorrah - everything gone, just hard to recognize ruins left.
Abraham blessed with victory when he went after the marauders who took Lot, etc.
During one night, one angel killed more than 150,000 Assyrian soldiers to defend Israel.

Disobedient Israelites - many killed, 10 tribes went into dispersion.
Two tribe kingdom, many many killed, remainder went into captivity in Babylon.
In the end that is promised, perhaps more than 90% of all humanity will be killed.
A prophet who disobeyed the command not to stop - was killed by a lion after he stopped and had lunch by an insistent person he should have ignored.

Obedience = victory (Even said in StarTrek! Changelings)
Disobedience = death.

Oh, Yes, I do believe violence acts as a deterrent. But, at times, people need to see examples of it being real.

Last edited:

Grandliseur

It's a toughie! If someone is threatening violence you can't just let them do as they please - preferably with the minimum force possible.

As for God using violence - maybe he has an anger problem and needs counselling :)

Thanks for sharing!
Well, the problem with God is that He is God. He also sets the moral standards for humans; those who abuse this seriously get the death sentence once it becomes clear that they cannot be corrected.

We are not dealing with other humans, or even a Judge, or Superior Judge, we are dealing with the Creator. If he deems you need to die, it is not killing but execution for just cause. In some cases, killing serves as warnings to us, and perhaps the person will be resurrected once the kingdom is established.

God never acts wickedly or unjustly. But, he is not partial, so we get what we deserve with mercy if we act correctly.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, the problem with God is that He is God. He also sets the moral standards for humans; those who abuse this seriously get the death sentence once it becomes clear that they cannot be corrected.

We are not dealing with other humans, or even a Judge, or Superior Judge, we are dealing with the Creator. If he deems you need to die, it is not killing but execution for just cause. In some cases, killing serves as warnings to us, and perhaps the person will be resurrected once the kingdom is established.

God never acts wickedly or unjustly. But, he is not partial, so we get what we deserve with mercy if we act correctly.
Same argument that Azteca used to justify human sacrifice to their God..etc.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Thanks 4 all the responses!

I had one more thought occur to me ...

Does karma adequately "explain" why some people are luckier than others? Some people seem to get a REALLY raw deal in this world.

There certainly appears to be a HUGE gap between the most & the least fortunate individuals!

Cheers.
Yes, karma does explain a lot of the suffering in the world. But there are two reasons why some people may have a particularly difficult life - their karma may be bad and needs to be paid off, or the second reason could be that the soul has decided before birth to have a difficult life in order to grow faster spiritually. So some least fortunate (or poor) people may not really have bad karma, they may have chosen to be that way before birth.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Yes, karma does explain a lot of the suffering in the world. But there are two reasons why some people may have a particularly difficult life - their karma may be bad and needs to be paid off, or the second reason could be that the soul has decided before birth to have a difficult life in order to grow faster spiritually. So some least fortunate (or poor) people may not really have bad karma, they may have chosen to be that way before birth.

Thanks for the response!

I have had similar thoughts - some people certainly do suffer more than the rest ...

This may or may not be terribly relevant -

“If all our misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be content to take their own and depart.”

Socrates

Thanks again.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Thanks for the response!

I have had similar thoughts - some people certainly do suffer more than the rest ...

This may or may not be terribly relevant -

“If all our misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be content to take their own and depart.”

Socrates

Thanks again.
Just one more thought - bad action is not the only thing that creates bad karma. Bad thoughts and harsh words can also result in bad karma. So karma is the result of thought, word and deed - all three.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Just one more thought - bad action is not the only thing that creates bad karma. Bad thoughts and harsh words can also result in bad karma. So karma is the result of thought, word and deed - all three.

Yes thought becomes word and deed so it is definitely wise to really be watchful of your thoughts and cultivate a truly healthy mind. Then karma takes care of itself ...

Cheers!

Grandliseur

Same argument that Azteca used to justify human sacrifice to their God..etc.
Humans justifying their actions by lies, by agendas of power, by wickedness - will never stop.

If you have an entity that can create the earth with its varied life, can destroy said earth - one can only hope that this entity acts in non-wicked fashion with his creation. If it doesn't there is bloody nothing to do about it, except to try to avoid making that entity mad enough to focus on yourself.