• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Karma has no hold:" Incorruptables. Thoughts?

Does Karma have an "impact" on our life as a whole?

• Yes, it does.

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No, I don't believe in Karma.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Yes, but only so far as we are a part of the "wheel."

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, the notion of karma is irrelevant in the "big picture."

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, please explain.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Neale said:
According to The Zen Teaching of Bodhidharma translated by Red Pine:

"Despite dwelling in a materrial body of four elements, your nature is basically pure. It can't be corrupted. If some habits [(here,) of sexual pleasure] remain, they can't harm you, because your nature is essentially pure...Regardless of what we do, our karma has no hold on us."

Regardless of your faith, you can embrace the idea of "what goes around, comes around." I believe here that the teaching is basically saying that the true nature of one's self is not limited by "negative" karma, or for the same token - enhanced, by "positive" karma. One's true nature is free of this "wheel."

This may be an elementary Buddhist notion, but I feel it's a breakthrough idea for me :p Your thoughts?
I would have to reflect further as to what Bodhidharma meant by karma having no hold on us. On one level, I would believe this to be true. If we are all Buddha, we are essentially incorruptable. It's just a matter of time before we awaken. However, I would be extremely wary of the going around saying that karma has no hold on us. Because we are on the wheel, and karma does have its effects. It binds us to the wheel. If ever someone should take his words to mean that we can do whatever the heck we want, I think that would be a grave disservice to that person.

Karma, btw, is not only "what goes around comes around."