• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kardashev scale

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The Kardashev scale is a method of measuring a civilization's level of technological advancement based on the amount of energy it is able to use. The measure was proposed by Soviet astronomer Nikolai Kardashev in 1964.
The scale is hypothetical, and regards energy consumption on a cosmic scale. Various extensions of the scale have since been proposed, including a wider range of power levels (types 0, IV through VI) and the use of metrics other than pure power.
Kardashev scale - Wikipedia

Interesting concept I happened across.

So for the continue survival of human kind we need to make use of all available energy on the planet, and expand that out to the solar system and beyond. Civilization needs energy to survive.

A Type I civilization, also called a planetary civilization, can use and store all of the energy available on its planet.
A Type II civilization, also called a stellar civilization, can use and control energy at the scale of its planetary system.
A Type III civilization, also called a galactic civilization, can control energy at the scale of its entire host galaxy.

Do you think the production of energy is a paramount need for our survival?

Currently earth is somewhere between Type 0 and I. They expect it'll take about another 100 years before earth becomes a type I civilization. Sucking all possible energy out of the planet.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

No. We survived before energy production, we could do it again.

There would be some hiccups along the way, and some lives would likely be lost initially. Life expectancy may drop without the means to utilize medical facilities and produce medication in the same way, but the species as a whole could survive.

Audie

Veteran Member
C
The Kardashev scale is a method of measuring a civilization's level of technological advancement based on the amount of energy it is able to use. The measure was proposed by Soviet astronomer Nikolai Kardashev in 1964.
The scale is hypothetical, and regards energy consumption on a cosmic scale. Various extensions of the scale have since been proposed, including a wider range of power levels (types 0, IV through VI) and the use of metrics other than pure power.

So for the continue survival of human kind we need to make use of all available energy on the planet, and expand that out to the solar system and beyond. Civilization needs energy to survive.

A Type I civilization, also called a planetary civilization, can use and store all of the energy available on its planet.
A Type II civilization, also called a stellar civilization, can use and control energy at the scale of its planetary system.
A Type III civilization, also called a galactic civilization, can control energy at the scale of its entire host galaxy.

Currently earth is somewhere between Type 0 and I. They expect it'll take about another 100 years before earth becomes a type I civilization. Sucking all possible energy out of the planet.

Cutting waste would help

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Don't forget Type IV controlling matter and Type V controlling the Universe like God, theoretical types.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't buy the premise of the Kardashev scale. It ignores efficiency. The watch on my wrist is more powerful than a room full of tube computers, for example and uses orders of magnitude less energy at the same time. Incandescent light bulbs used seriously more electricity than today's LED ones.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I don't buy the premise of the Kardashev scale.
That's because you try to use it for a purpose it wasn't intended for.
It doesn't recognise efficiency nor application because those tend to average out and the scale measures potential anyway. When you detect a type II civilisation (while being below II) you know not to mess with them, no matter how efficient you are and they are not.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Too many jet planes, and way too many spirits exploding in vehicles of all sorts.