• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Karate

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
After 25 years, I took my first Karate class this morning. Different style than my previous, and more traditional, but it felt really good to do it!

I have a stressful job, and lately it's been extra tough due to lack of staff, COVID restrictions, and the general malaise everyone has been going through. My hope is this will be a positive step towards managing stress and self-improvement.

Practicing American Kenpo was one of my favorite activities as a teenager. I grew up in a martial arts household; my dad did some training with John Jenkins: John Jenkins (American politician) - Wikipedia. I stopped when my dojo shut down and money was tight in my family, then came college and my subsequent work towards becoming a teacher.

Then my wife (Gentoo) started a self-defense course and began taking Karate with the instructors. It prompted me to begin relearning what I remembered with American Kenpo, and I realized how much I missed it.

I am feeling energized and looking forward to the classes, especially since this is a more traditional style than American Kenpo. It's like starting over again, which I find cathartic since it's a new beginning.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I passed my blue belt test this Saturday. My first rank movement in over 20 years! I made it to purple in my previous dojo, and due to the prior training, my Sensai wanted me to come in as a purple belt.

It's been incredibly helpful as an adult. It's good self-care during stressful times, not only from the exercise, but the camaraderie and the way it is bringing Gentoo and I closer.

What's interesting to me is how much more I enjoy the katas. As a teenager, I preferred the self-defense training and sparring, but now I find the katas relaxing and meditative.