• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kamala Harris is set to visit the border

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So if her visiting the border wouldn't directly improve the situation at the border, why should she go to the border? You still haven't explained that part. You make it sound like a waste of time, which it probably would be. All it would amount to is some lame photo op. So why are you so adamant that she should go to the border? Because other people are wondering why she hasn't gone? That's not a good explanation.
It's just another Pub "talking point" that's being parroted by some that are fixated on Fox and other forms of right-wing media.

There's an old saying that "An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure", thus the best move that she could have made was to go down to the Northern Triangle Countries and try to get some relief done down there where the real problem is-- and she did that. Did Trump? Nada, and as a matter of fact he cut all aid to those countries, including not helping out the charities there who are trying to deal with this situation on a daily basis.

What utter hypocrisy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's just another Pub "talking point" that's being parroted by some that are fixated on Fox and other forms of right-wing media.
"Parroting" is an unfortunate accusation to make. Sure, sure,
one might believe that the other side thoughtlessly repeats
the tribe's mantra. But one's own side is highly vulnerable to
the same criticism.
And yes, in this case, I claim full equivalence for Dems & Pubs.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

There's an old saying that "An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure", thus the best move that she could have made was to go down to the Northern Triangle Countries and try to get some relief done down there where the real problem is-- and she did that. Did Trump? Nada, and as a matter of fact he cut all aid to those countries, including not helping out the charities there who are trying to deal with this situation on a daily basis.

What utter hypocrisy.
Bingo!

Ponder This

So if her visiting the border wouldn't directly improve the situation at the border, why should she go to the border? You still haven't explained that part. You make it sound like a waste of time, which it probably would be. All it would amount to is some lame photo op. So why are you so adamant that she should go to the border? Because other people are wondering why she hasn't gone? That's not a good explanation.

It is about public perception. For example, in her interview (sometime before she visited the border), she made the mistake of comparing a visit to the US border to a visit to Europe. If it didn't impact the border directly, then why do I characterize it as a "mistake"? Because it indicates to the public a serious lack of concern for the border situation (something the public is very seriously concerned about), and that, in turn, generates negative public perception (and that, in turn, creates friction for any actions she does take to improve the border situation). And, as I've already stated, that's why her visit to the border, improves, in some small way, her chances of doing something to help the border situation.
If you want to argue that it was a "waste of time", then you ought to argue that it accomplished nothing as opposed to trying to argue that it didn't impact the border directly. I already pointed out, *cough* in my first post in this thread *cough*, her reputation might have been irreversibly harmed by her failure to visit the border. If that is the case, then perhaps her visit to the border was ultimately pointless.

Food for Thought: Why do Presidents attend Memorial Services on Memorial Day despite the fact that there is no direct impact (the dead are not brought back to life)? Does such as action seem pointless to you?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
It is about public perception. For example, in her interview (sometime before she visited the border), she made the mistake of comparing a visit to the US border to a visit to Europe. If it didn't impact the border directly, then why do I characterize it as a "mistake"? Because it indicates to the public a serious lack of concern for the border situation (something the public is very seriously concerned about), and that, in turn, generates negative public perception (and that, in turn, creates friction for any actions she does take to improve the border situation). And, as I've already stated, that's why her visit to the border, improves, in some small way, her chances of doing something to help the border situation.
If you want to argue that it was a "waste of time", then you ought to argue that it accomplished nothing as opposed to trying to argue that it didn't impact the border directly. I already pointed out, *cough* in my first post in this thread *cough*, her reputation might have been irreversibly harmed by her failure to visit the border. If that is the case, then perhaps her visit to the border was ultimately pointless.

Food for Thought: Why do Presidents attend Memorial Services on Memorial Day despite the fact that there is no direct impact (the dead are not brought back to life)? Does such as action seem pointless to you?
So it's just about a photo op then.
That's what I thought.

Ponder This

So it's just about a photo op then.
That's what I thought.

"Just a photo op" doesn't make you look bad when you don't take it.
Vacationing in Europe is not the same as showing up at the border.

One does not simply go to Cancun while Texas is freezing...
'Obviously a mistake': Sen. Ted Cruz says he regrets going to Cancún while Texans froze
The state Democratic Party called on Cruz to resign from Congress, tweeting, "Texans are dying and you're on a flight to Cancun. #TedCruzRESIGN."​

Perhaps Kamala thought visiting the border was "just a photo op". She didn't understand that she was obligated to visit the border.

On the other hand, visiting the border was a photo op for Trump. He had no obligation to visit.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
"Just a photo op" doesn't make you look bad when you don't take it.
Vacationing in Europe is not the same as showing up at the border.

One does not simply go to Cancun while Texas is freezing...
'Obviously a mistake': Sen. Ted Cruz says he regrets going to Cancún while Texans froze
The state Democratic Party called on Cruz to resign from Congress, tweeting, "Texans are dying and you're on a flight to Cancun. #TedCruzRESIGN."​

Perhaps Kamala thought visiting the border was "just a photo op". She didn't understand that she was obligated to visit the border.

On the other hand, visiting the border was a photo op for Trump. He had no obligation to visit.
You and I both agreed that it's nothing more than a photo op.
Perhaps she didn't want to waste valuable time with a photo op when she could have been off doing something that is actually constructive instead.

Ponder This

o_O
I pointed out that it was not just a photo op (and explained why).
You claimed it was nothing more than a photo op (and did not explain why; perhaps you can't).
This is not agreement.

Perhaps she didn't want to waste valuable time with a photo op when she could have been off doing something that is actually constructive instead.

Perhaps she thought that it was a waste of time.
It would be nice if she did something constructive/competent.
Perhaps visiting the border is the only constructive thing she's done.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Harris and constructive are opposing terms.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

That makes it nothing more than a useless photo op.

I ask again, how is a visit to the border which amounts to not much more than a "public perception" trip, amount to something that's actually "constructive" or useful?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Oh okay.
So you don't think she should go to the border?
She needs to work on her back drop first other than an empty lot or a lone border patrol cruser before she drops to her knees , outstretches her arms, places a thorny crown on her head, and emulates an exhausted bloody and battered Jesus carrying a cross to be executed by the Romans before completely collapsing into a fetal position making sure the photos get her good side.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
She needs to work on her back drop first other than an empty lot or a lone border patrol cruser before she drops to her knees , outstretches her arms, places a thorny crown on her head, and emulates an exhausted bloody and battered Jesus carrying a cross to be executed by the Romans before completely collapsing into a fetal position making sure the photos get her good side.
Uh huh.
:rolleyes:

Get a room already.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Gee, I wonder how many photo-ops Trump did? Funny, because I didn't hear those on the right whining about that.

Much like Obama's golf outings that they complained about, Trump did that four times more and yet no whining from the right when he did them.

Ponder This

That makes it nothing more than a useless photo op.

I ask again, how is a visit to the border which amounts to not much more than a "public perception" trip, amount to something that's actually "constructive" or useful?

It's not a photo op; it's a photo ob.
What has she done that is useful or constructive or competent?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
It's not a photo op; it's a photo ob.
What has she done that is useful or constructive or competent?
It seems you don't actually want her to do something constructive.
Rather, you want her to participate in a useless photo op that wouldn't accomplish much of anything.
:shrug:

Ponder This

It seems you don't actually want her to do something constructive.
Rather, you want her to participate in a useless photo op that wouldn't accomplish much of anything.
:shrug:

If you read my posts, I expressed my hope that she will continue with greater competence.

I also hoped you would be able to suggest something she had done that was useful, constructive, or competent... but... yeah, you didn't. Rather, you regard even her visit to the border as "useless", whereas I regard that action of hers as a constructive step forward.

I think this debate has reached its limit.