• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kachol

rosends

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting idea. From what I know, the color was chosen because of its similarities to techelet.

Some info from Wikipedia on the color:
המשמעות המודרנית של המילה כחול כתיאור לצבע הדומה לתכלת, "Blue", היא התפתחות מאוחרת, ייתכן שמימי הביניים, ואינה מתארת את המשמעות המקורית - אבקת איפור בגוון שחור; רש"י בפירושו למסכת קידושין כתב: "שחור דומה לכחול".[1] השורש "כחל" גם דומה לשרשי מילים המתארים גוני שחור בשפות שמיות נוספות, בהן השפה האכדית. שורש זה מופיע במקרא פעם אחת בלבד, ופעמים רבות בחז"ל במשמעות של איפור לעיניים: לדוגמה: "כָּחַלְתְּ עֵינַיִךְ וְעָדִית עֶדי" (ספר יחזקאל, פרק כ"ג, פסוק מ'), וכן "לא כחל ולא שרק ולא פירכוס - ויעלת חן". (תלמוד בבלי, מסכת כתובות, דף י"ז).
See also the history of the Israeli flag:
דגל עברי – ויקיפדיה

rosends

Interesting idea. From what I know, the color was chosen because of its similarities to techelet.

Some info from Wikipedia on the color:
המשמעות המודרנית של המילה כחול כתיאור לצבע הדומה לתכלת, "Blue", היא התפתחות מאוחרת, ייתכן שמימי הביניים, ואינה מתארת את המשמעות המקורית - אבקת איפור בגוון שחור; רש"י בפירושו למסכת קידושין כתב: "שחור דומה לכחול".[1] השורש "כחל" גם דומה לשרשי מילים המתארים גוני שחור בשפות שמיות נוספות, בהן השפה האכדית. שורש זה מופיע במקרא פעם אחת בלבד, ופעמים רבות בחז"ל במשמעות של איפור לעיניים: לדוגמה: "כָּחַלְתְּ עֵינַיִךְ וְעָדִית עֶדי" (ספר יחזקאל, פרק כ"ג, פסוק מ'), וכן "לא כחל ולא שרק ולא פירכוס - ויעלת חן". (תלמוד בבלי, מסכת כתובות, דף י"ז).
See also the history of the Israeli flag:
דגל עברי – ויקיפדיה
I had assumed something similar (though I hadn't checked the etymology of kachol or seen if it was the primary word for "blue" as opposed to anything else). That would make this a really neat coincidence. Or not...