• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kabbalah in Judaism

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Is this in reference only to the "tree of life" or does kabbalah extend beyond the male and feminine aspects of human existence? I'm under the impression it's a mental, physical, and spiritual study involving the many areas of life. Mental and physical giving birth to spiritual qualities inside a man or woman. Am I off base in my simplicity or close to intent? I'm seeing mother/father, children, and spirit as the crux of kabbalistic study.

Ehav4Ever

Is this in reference only to the "tree of life" or does kabbalah extend beyond the male and feminine aspects of human existence? I'm under the impression it's a mental, physical, and spiritual study involving the many areas of life. Mental and physical giving birth to spiritual qualities inside a man or woman. Am I off base in my simplicity or close to intent? I'm seeing mother/father, children, and spirit as the crux of kabbalistic study.

The following video has "Jewish" sources for what Kabbalah is and what it is not.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
mental and spiritual are synonyms. they really aren't two separate things.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
mental and spiritual are synonyms. they really aren't two separate things.

They are synonymous, but mind can exist without spiritual experience, and to my understanding, spiritual experience comes by way of both mind and matter, which makes us very fortunate, but no less unfortunate, given our awareness of pleasant experiences and unpleasant experiences (good and evil).

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Kabbalah (Hebrew: קַבָּלָה Qabbālā, literally "reception, tradition"[1] or "correspondence"[2]: 3 ) is an esoteric method, discipline, and school of thought in Jewish mysticism.[3] A traditional Kabbalist in Judaism is called a Mekubbal (מְקוּבָּל‎ Məqūbbāl).[3] The definition of Kabbalah varies according to the tradition and aims of those following it,[4] from its religious origin as an integral part of Judaism, to its later adaptations in Western esotericism (Christian Kabbalah and Hermetic Qabalah). Jewish Kabbalah is a set of esoteric teachings meant to explain the relationship between the unchanging, eternal God—the mysterious Ein Sof (אֵין סוֹף‎, "The Infinite")[5][6]—and the mortal, finite universe (God's creation).[3][5] It forms the foundation of mystical religious interpretations within Judaism.[3][7]

Citation from wiki Kabbalah - Wikipedia

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It also means breath, among other things - disposition being one of - emotion based
it implies something that can stir something else as in genesis 1:2.

so when adam received the breath of life the body stirred and become a living being because of the breath, mind, wind that stirred it

the word ruach comes from a root word; which is a verb

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
it implies something that can stir something else as in genesis 1:2.

so when adam received the breath of life the body stirred and become a living being because of the breath, mind, wind that stirred it

the word ruach comes from a root word; which is a verb

This seems reasonable - So, the term spirit as utilized in Hebrew texts, connotes the "stirring" of something via mind, disposition, temper, and/or wind. Correct?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
This seems reasonable - So, the term spirit as utilized in Hebrew texts, connotes the "stirring" of something via mind, disposition, temper, and/or wind. Correct?
in my understanding yes. jesus said the spirit quickeneth

john 6:63

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
in my understanding yes. jesus said the spirit quickeneth

john 6:63

Gives life - profiting the flesh nothing. Is this in reference to the flesh being subject to decay? The spirit being the true - life force of a person? Seems a reasonable view. Mind, breath, temper, disposition, etc. all contributed to the spirit and how a person lives and conducts their life.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
In kabbalah, there are differing sephirot representing varying aspects of the tree of life, which at this point seem to be the "stirring" effect of the spirit. In this discipline, how is it that we come to understand how to strengthen our ability to utilize and balance these "effects" effectively? Each sephirot seem to correspond to the others, interconnected, woven together, and complete stirring us to action according to our ability. It's an exercise in discipline, which I imagine isn't at all uncommon to Judaism.

PearlSeeker

I'm not sure if I understand the question. The Tree of Life is a universal pattern. It applies to all areas.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I'm not sure if I understand the question. The Tree of Life is a universal pattern. It applies to all areas.

I've read terms like mental and spiritual alchemy - the transforming from a less desired state to a more desired state of being through the utilization of certain principals. The pattern, the interwoven connections between the sephirot, from what I'm understanding are like channels, through which the others are stimulated, utilized, and the goal would be to have greater self-control and discipline over our mental and spiritual states. That's how I'm understanding it, anyway. Maybe you could fill in the gaps where I'm lacking understanding.

PearlSeeker

I've read terms like mental and spiritual alchemy - the transforming from a less desired state to a more desired state of being through the utilization of certain principals. The pattern, the interwoven connections between the sephirot, from what I'm understanding are like channels, through which the others are stimulated, utilized, and the goal would be to have greater self-control and discipline over our mental and spiritual states. That's how I'm understanding it, anyway. Maybe you could fill in the gaps where I'm lacking understanding.
Sorry, I'm not an expert.