• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kabbalah: Da'at Et Cetera

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Can anyone give me a run down on the Sephirot and the pseudo-Sephirah Da'at? I've heard things from "Da'at is a lie of the Abyss" to "Da'at is perfect unity of the ten Sephirot"

Also, about the Ari and Gra trees: Did Da'at become Malkhut? I have heard that this is also a possibility.

Tiamat

I bought this book on a sale about hermeticism by 2 Croatian writers, there's some poor information about Da'at but I hope it helps. so I'll translate it here (sorry if I spell someting wrong):

"As it is said, this sephiroth has no number. It is still in the phase of forming on the tree of life. It's main attributes would be inspiration, intuition, synthesis and abstract way of thinking. Self initiations and initiations into new faiths are also under this sephiroth. It is advisable mess with this sephiroth a lot in the beginning, because it can be dangerous for beginners. This sephiroth lies on the abyss itself, representing knowledge - knowing good and evil"

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
After forcing myself to study the Qabalah for a few months, I pretty much decided I wanted nothing to do with it in my path. IIRC, Da'at isn't even recognized by all systems/interpretations of the Tree of Life, but ceremonial magicians at least seem to like it. The best quotations I was able to dig up from the PDFs I still have in my BoS were from Dion Fortune (who obviously wouldn't be an authority on the Jewish Kabbalah, but might be on the Hermetic Qabalah):

Dion Fortune's Mystical Qabalah said:
The meaning of the word Kether, we have already noted, is Crown. Chokmah means Wisdom, and Binah means Understanding. But pendent to these two latter Sephiroth is a curious and mysterious third, which is never represented in the glyph of the Tree; this is the invisible Sephirah, Daath, Knowledge, and it is said to be formed out of the conjunction of Chokmah and Binah and is situated astride the Abyss. Crowley tells us that Daath is in another dimension to the other Sephiroth, and forms the apex of a pyramid of which Kethet, Chokmah, and Binah form the three basal angles. To me, Daath presents the idea of realisation and consciousness.

Dion Fortune's Mystical Qabalah said:
15. It would not profit us to go more deeply into the endless ramifications of this symbolism at the present moment, for it is carrying us beyond the three Sephiroth we have already studied. Let us proceed to a further consideration of the mysterious Daath, which never appears on the Tree, and to which no Deity-name or angelic host is assigned and which has no mundane symbol in planet or element, as have all the other stations on the Tree.

16. Daath is produced by the conjunction of Chokmah and Binah, as has been already noted. The Supernal Father, Abba, marries the Supernal Mother, Ama, and Daath is the issue. Now Daath is called some curious things by the Qabalists; we will note a Tew of them.

17. In verse 38 of the Book of Concealed Mistery (Mathers' English translation from the Latin translation of Knorr von Rosenroth) it says: "For Father and Mother are perpetually conjoined in Yesod, the Foundation (the ninth Sephirah), but concealed under the mystery of Daath or Knowledge"; and in verse 40 we read concerning Daath: "The man that shall say, I am the Lord's, he descendeth. . . . Yod (the tenth letter of the Hebrew alphabet) is the foundation of Knowledge of the Father; but all things are called BYODO, that is, all things are applied to Yod concerning which this discourse is. All things cohere in the tongue which is concealed in the mother. That is, through Daath or Knowledge, whereby Wisdom is combined with Understanding, and the Beautiful Path (Tipha reth, the Sixth Sephirah) with his bride the Queen (Malkuth, the Tenth Sephirah); and this is the concealed idea, or soul, pervading the whole emanation. Since it is opened for that which proceedeth from itself; that is, Daath is itself the beautiful path, but also the inner, whereto Moses referred; and that Path lieth hid within the mother, and is the medium of its conjunction." When it is noted that Yod is identical with the Lingam in the Hindu system; and that Kether, Daath, and the Beautiful Path, Tiphareth, the Sixth Sephirah, are in a line on the Middle Pillar of the Tree, which equates with the spine in man, the microcosm; and that Kundalini is coiled in Yesod, also on the Middle Pillar, we shall see that we have here an important key for those who are equipped to use it.

18. In the Greater Holy Assembly, verse 566 (Mathers' translation), we read concerning the Head of Microprosopos, whose whole body is being taken as a glyph of the cosmos:

"From the Third Cavity there goes forth a thousand times a thousand conclaves and assemblies, wherein Daath, Knowledge, is contained and dwelleth. And the hollow place of this cavity is between the other two cavities; and all these conclaves are filled from either side. This is that which is written in Proverbs, 'And in knowledge (Daath) shall the conclaves be filled.' And those three are expanded over the whole body, on this side and on that, and with them does the whole body cohere, and the body is contained by them on every side, and through the whole body are they expanded and diffused."

19. When it is recalled that Daath is situated at the Point where the Abyss bisects the Middle Pillar, and that up the Middle Pillar lies the Path of the Arrow, the way by which consciousness goes when the psychic rises on the Planes, and that here also is Kundalini, we see that in Daath is the secret of both generation and regeneration, the key to the manifestation of all things through the differentiation into pairs of Opposites and their union in a Third.

ndh

Can anyone give me a run down on the Sephirot and the pseudo-Sephirah Da'at? I've heard things from "Da'at is a lie of the Abyss" to "Da'at is perfect unity of the ten Sephirot"

Also, about the Ari and Gra trees: Did Da'at become Malkhut? I have heard that this is also a possibility.

Daat is misunderstood.
It is not a sephira. It is a portion of malchut.

The sephirot break into groups of three. Malchut is the fourth letter of God's name and is fourth in many ways. Each third sephira has a portion of malchut fourth.

Binah's portion of malchut is called daat.

Elokim in the first verse is binah. The ending mem is malchut of binah (Daat).

Malchut is fourth and there are 4 malchuts. Malchut of binah, malchut of tiferet, malchut of yesod, and malchut itself.

Malchut is Israel. So why was Jacob (Tiferet) Israel? That was the malchut portion of tiferet.

Daat is a bit different than the other malchut portions and has a lot in common with keter.

I explain it all on kabbalahfortoday.com