• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JW's Jesus is Archangel Michael?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't interpret scripture. Except for the one about gathering together because a non-bishop took it upon himself to interpret it wrongly. I fix them.

djhwoodwerks

God's son? Yes. God himself? NO. There is not one single direct statement from either God or his Christ that makes Jesus anything other than God's son. If you have such a statement, then please share it. Inference does not make doctrine.

"There is not one single statement from either God or His Christ that makes Jesus an archangel!" If you have such a statement, then please share it. Inference does not make doctrine. Christians believe in the Trinity the same way the JW's believe in the slave. Please show one direct "statement" from either God or Christ that proves the GB is the slave.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"There is not one single statement from either God or His Christ that makes Jesus an archangel!" If you have such a statement, then please share it. Inference does not make doctrine. Christians believe in the Trinity the same way the JW's believe in the slave. Please show one direct "statement" from either God or Christ that proves the GB is the slave.
This post makes it into my top ten best. Very good!

Wharton

I understand what you are saying. Are you saying it is nobody's right to interpret it? I agree. Are you saying some people may rightly interpret it but some people shouldn't?
I'm saying that unless you have apostolic succession or you are working miracles as a sign of God's approval, you don't get to interpret scripture.

Wharton

Apostolic succession is your interpretation. I do not like it.
When people think like you, I always throw the word APOSTLES at them. If Jesus thought like you, there would have been no need for apostles. He could have just hired a scribe and let you loose with his writings for you to interpret.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
bish·op
(bĭsh′əp)
n.
1. A high-ranking Christian cleric, in modern churches usually in charge of a diocese and insome churches regarded as having received the highest ordination in unbroken succession from the apostles.
2. Abbr. B Games A usually miter-shaped chess piece that can move diagonally across anynumber of unoccupied spaces.
3. Mulled port spiced with oranges, sugar, and cloves.

[Middle English, from Old English bisceope, from Vulgar Latin *ebiscopus, from Late Latinepiscopus, from Late Greek episkopos, from Greek, overseer : epi-, epi- + skopos, watcher; see spek- in Indo-European roots.]

From the dictionary definition of a "bishop" we can see that the original meaning has been lost and taken over by a church substituted position as a "high ranking cleric". It goes on to say that that those in this position "received the highest ordination in unbroken succession from the apostles."

Does this sound Christian...or Catholic. There was no "clergy" in original Christianity.

If the original meaning was "overseer" then that puts an entirely different connotation to the position. Rather than one of "high rank" (which was not advocated by Jesus) this was a position of responsibility and service.

Overseers in the Christian Congregation. The Christian “overseers” (e·piʹsko·poi) correspond to those recognized as “older men” (pre·sbyʹte·roi) in the congregation. That both of these terms designate the same position in the congregation can be seen from the instance of Paul’s calling “the older men of the congregation” of Ephesus to Miletus to meet with him there. In exhorting these “older men,” he states: “Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit has appointed you overseers [form of e·piʹsko·poi], to shepherd the congregation of God.” (Ac 20:17, 28) The apostle further makes this clear in writing to Titus, where he discusses the subject of making appointments of “older men in city after city.” In evident reference to such ones, he uses the term “overseer” (e·piʹsko·pos). (Tit 1:5, 7) Both terms, therefore, refer to the same position, pre·sbyʹte·ros indicating the mature qualities of the one so appointed, and e·piʹsko·pos the duties inherent with the appointment.—See OLDER MAN.

There was no set number of overseers for any one congregation. The number of overseers depended upon the number of those qualifying and accredited as “older men” in that congregation. That there were several overseers in the one congregation of Ephesus is evident. Likewise, in writing to the Philippian Christians, Paul referred to the “overseers” there (Php 1:1), indicating that they served as a body, overseeing the affairs of that congregation."

Overseer — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

This is exactly what we see in the congregations of Jehovah's Withesses. (Matt 23:8-12) There are a body of older men who act as overseers in the congregation. None have any rank or pay. They willingly volunteer their time in God's service, caring for his sheep.

1Tim 3:1-7 Titus 1:5-9 1Tim 3:8-10, 12, 13

Last edited:

djhwoodwerks

Sorry but my Jesus is real and his "coming" or more correctly his "manifestation" as judge and executioner is a visible event. (Luke 21:25-28; 2 Thess 1:6-9) Your "internal" stuff is a bit airy fairy to me...sorry.

*** rs p. 343 par. 1 Return of Christ ***

If Christ were to appear visibly in the heavens, it is obvious that not “every eye” would see him. If he appeared over Australia, for example, he would not be visible in Europe, Africa, and the Americas, would he?

djhwoodwerks

I believe they can. Who but an archangel speaks with an archangel's voice? If God used his own voice at Jesus baptism, why use the inferior voice of a lesser being to call his anointed to heaven?

That's a good way to look at it. Why does a judge enter a court room with the bailiff announcing their entrance? Why do football players enter the field with the announcer announcing their entrance?
All it says is Jesus is coming with the "VOICE" of an archangel. If the archangel is beside Jesus and shouts, Jesus is coming with the voice of an archangel. You ask why would God use an "inferior voice of a lesser being"? Have you read the Bible? When did God ever use the greatest or superior being for anything?