• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justifications

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Many of us (I don't want to say All) make judgements and justifications.

Often times of the things we are saying or doing ourselves, our internal monologue will create justifications and rationalizations for the things we are doing (otherwise why would we do them?).

We aren't always aware of this running monologue unless maybe you're a hyper anxious person. Maybe some forms of meditation can lead to this insight as well.

The problem as I see it is, these judgements conscious of them or not, constantly impact our internal mood/environment. Which impacts the way we react with the world, which leads to more Justifications or judging, a self-fulfilling cycle.

So how do we let go of Justifying and Judging the things we do? Or can we not do that? If it's not possible to let go of Justifying or judging our actions, what can we do?

Maybe, we just need to change the way, or how we are judging? Instead of doing it from a place of criticism, we do it from a place of Kindness and Honesty? Would that work?

Orbit

I'm a planet
We all have reasons for what we do. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. If we find ourselves constantly having to justify our actions there may be something else going on, though.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I totally agree with you.
Empathy can help us understand others and why they think differently than us.
We should do our best to justify others, if possible.
Then we can live our life much better .

Heyo

Veteran Member
So how do we let go of Justifying and Judging the things we do? Or can we not do that? If it's not possible to let go of Justifying or judging our actions, what can we do?
How can you avoid repeating a bad thing if you never identified it as bad?
Judging our actions is the way we learn - if we are impartial judges. Rationalizing bad behaviour doesn't lead to learning, being overly critical leads to depression.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe, we just need to change the way, or how we are judging? Instead of doing it from a place of criticism, we do it from a place of Kindness and Honesty? Would that work?

That works for me. Except when I'm driving. I become somewhat judgmental when I drive in traffic and see others driving.

Like if I'm waiting on a side street at a stop sign, about to go on to a major thoroughfare. I have to wait because there's a car coming, but then they turn on the same street that I'm on, without using their turn signal.

If they had their turn signal on, then I could have gone sooner. I'll admit that I do judge such people.

Or people who drive too slow in the fast lane. I think there's a special place in hell for them.

065f0d68f12fe680799a93f6c9f8f95c.jpg

So, I do judge them, and perhaps maybe I shouldn't. Or maybe I should be kinder.

But I don't really go into any "road rage" or anything like that.

PureX

Veteran Member
Many of us (I don't want to say All) make judgements and justifications.

Often times of the things we are saying or doing ourselves, our internal monologue will create justifications and rationalizations for the things we are doing (otherwise why would we do them?).

We aren't always aware of this running monologue unless maybe you're a hyper anxious person. Maybe some forms of meditation can lead to this insight as well.

The problem as I see it is, these judgements conscious of them or not, constantly impact our internal mood/environment. Which impacts the way we react with the world, which leads to more Justifications or judging, a self-fulfilling cycle.

As I get older, I find that those kinds of judgments are almost always uninformed, and unnecessary. Basically, just a waste of time usually inspired by a needy ego. And to be honest, I'm just getting too old and tired to waste energy on it.

As an example: my honest reaction to Will Smith smacking Chris Rock on the Oscars was mostly: "whatever". I just saw it as humans being human. And I still see it pretty much that way. Who's right? Who's wrong? Who cares ... really? No one is dead. Both apologized. They're still rich and famous in a culture that loves and honors wealth and fame above all else. Why in the hell should I waste time thinking about it??? Let alone judging them for it. :)