• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just who are we asking to "stand up" in Iraq?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Does anyone still believe that the majority of the population of Iraq believes in "Iraq" as the primary or even a meaningful expression of who they are? Is there really much doubt that the primary allegience of most "Iraqi" people is to their sectarian religious leadership rather than the "unity" government of "Iraq"?

If the people aren't behind "Iraq," then to whom are we giving money, weapons and training? Shi'ia militiamen who will become the trained and armed military of a Shi'ia state allied with Iran?

Sure seems like it.

Doesn't that all but guarantee that whatever "standing up" is occurring is "standing up" by those the U.S. will sooner or later consider an enemy?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Well, the US makes many of its own enemies completely of its own choice. There's no reason either Iraq or Iran need be enemies of the United States.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
doppelgänger said:
Does anyone still believe that the majority of the population of Iraq believes in "Iraq" as the primary or even a meaningful expression of who they are? Is there really much doubt that the primary allegience of most "Iraqi" people is to their sectarian religious leadership rather than the "unity" government of "Iraq"?

If the people aren't behind "Iraq," then to whom are we giving money, weapons and training? Shi'ia militiamen who will become the trained and armed military of a Shi'ia state allied with Iran?

Sure seems like it.

Doesn't that all but guarantee that whatever "standing up" is occurring is "standing up" by those the U.S. will sooner or later consider an enemy?

I don't personally think that there is any future hope of a united Iraq; the civil war will continue until one side reigns supreme.

Money sent in aid often gets to those who deserve it least.

The British Government has (through Tony blair) finally admitted that "Iraq hasn't quite worked out the way we thought it would"..........he's so quick on the uptake...........

He has also said that "It is hoped that - notwithstanding any unforseen events (which is a pretty good get out clause), some soldiers will be recalled to Britain at the end of next year".

maybe, perhaps, if.......................

klubbhead024

Djamila said:
Well, the US makes many of its own enemies completely of its own choice. There's no reason either Iraq or Iran need be enemies of the United States.

I'm still trying to figure out how the US can train and arm a country, adn them consider th em enemies even though they have never attacked us!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Some White House aide today said Iran is not on the brink of a civil war. You have to wonder who's going to buy that?

EDIT: I mean Iraq, not Iran.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sunstone said:
Some White House aide today said Iran is not on the brink of a civil war. You have to wonder who's going to buy that?
Well I guess President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is safe for the time being then, eh.
Now Iraq...(you know, that big country to the left of Iran)... is a different story.
If Sunstone's information is correct then I would say that the White House is probably on the level with this one. :)

:sorry1:

klubbhead024

We should send all of the murderers that are clogging up our prisons to the front lines. If they run, they get shot. If they die in battle, no big loss

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
klubbhead024 said:
I'm still trying to figure out how the US can train and arm a country, adn them consider th em enemies even though they have never attacked us!
Difference in ideology/outlived their usefulness/personality clash/wont do what they're told/change in government policy/who'd have thought someone would have a mind of their own and a will to use it, ungrateful sods...pick one you like and run with it.