• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just what exactly is the Great Work?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I've started looking into the alchemical Great Work and frankly I'm a bit lost. At best I can tell they are about 3 major phases and that Citrinitas is sort of undefined. Nigredo is the Dark Night of the Soul/confrontation with the Shadow, Albedo appears to be some sort of "table of correspondences" period where everything is seen as a dichotomy, and Rubedo is the wisdom that All is One. Cauda Pavonis (whose position in the Work I can't tell, whether it's supposed to be before, parallel and/or alternative to, or after Albedo) involves diverging from polarization into multi-faceted correspondences.

Did I miss something important or is that the gist?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Jung wrote about the symbolism, interpreting it in a psycho-analytical light.

Psychologist Carl Jung is credited with interpreting the pseudo-scientific alchemical process as analogous to modern-day psychoanalysis. In the Jungian archetypal schema, nigredo is the Shadow; albedo refers to the anima and animus (contrasexual soul images); citrinitas is the wise old man (or woman) archetype; and rubedo is the Self archetype which has achieved wholeness.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Try these alchemical stages: Calcinatio, Solutio, Coagulatio, Sublimato, Mortificatio, Separatio, and Coniunctio. Much more there than with the colors.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Try these alchemical stages: Calcinatio, Solutio, Coagulatio, Sublimato, Mortificatio, Separatio, and Coniunctio. Much more there than with the colors.

I've tried and have come to the conclusion that some people like to complicate things or obfuscate truth by allegory.

crossfire

Premium Member
I've tried and have come to the conclusion that some people like to complicate things or obfuscate truth by allegory.
Try this book:

Anatomy of the Psyche: Alchemical Symbolism in Psychotherapy (Reality of the Psyche Series): Edward F. Edinger: 9780812690095: Amazon.com: Books

Edward Edinger goes through the processes, devoting a chapter to each process, with plenty of examples from Jung and cultural sources.

My thanks goes out to The Heathen for recommending Edinger to me. :)

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Im not nearly as well read into alchemy but, my impression is that the Great Work is the symbolic transmutation of base metals into gold, i.e. the transmutation of basic mundane, profane being into that all-encompassing, infinite, pure blah blah thing which is our true nature that's symbolized by the ouroboros (it's early and im tired :eek:). So the "Great Work" refers to this whole process.

crossfire

Premium Member
Im not nearly as well read into alchemy but, my impression is that the Great Work is the symbolic transmutation of base metals into gold, i.e. the transmutation of basic mundane, profane being into that all-encompassing, infinite, pure blah blah thing which is our true nature that's symbolized by the ouroboros (it's early and im tired :eek:). So the "Great Work" refers to this whole process.
I would certainly say there is a psychological process involved in getting ouroboros to let go of glomping into its tail. To get an idea of the stress/suffering involved with a snake gone ouroboros, see this video. Warning: disturbing and graphic. :(

Stressed Out Snake Eats Itself | IFLScience

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I would certainly say there is a psychological process involved in getting ouroboros to let go of glomping into its tail. To get an idea of the stress/suffering involved with a snake gone ouroboros, see this video. Warning: disturbing and graphic. :(

Stressed Out Snake Eats Itself | IFLScience

You're not supposed to get the snake to stop biting it's tale. Ouroboros symbolizes the infinite, the absolute nature of reality/our-self. The snake is continually eating it's tale and continually growing in an infinite cycle of creative renewal, there is no beginning or end. It's like the infinity symbol ∞.

Here, we can't apply a Buddhist understanding of the suffering involved in becoming; it's not the same idea as some limited identity continually becoming.