• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just want to know if humans share DNA

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
So for all your possible experts on the human body, do you say that humans share DNA?

YoursTrue

You can look up your genealogy by seeing who is related to you by race. Ancestry.com has a lot on that if you're interested.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm not interested in that, besides, I might find out I come from royalty. That would be terrible! The reason I'm asking is that someone asked on another board if Scotsmen and Irishmen shared some DNA). Don't humans share (some) DNA?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Again, that's not my question. Someone asked on another board if Scotsmen and Irishmen "share" any DNA? I wonder why would anyone ask that?

Populations of Celtic people intermingled during the bronze age and passed on genes through sexual reproduction, their kids having a mix of those genes.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
OK, thanks. So then only some genes are shared, right? And of course, a great percentage of dna is said to be shared between humans and chimps and pigs, right?
How much DNA do humans share with other animals? (thednatests.com)
As I pointed out on another thread, their source of the pig claim is highly dubious. It is best to go back to the peer reviewed articles.

How things are measured is very important. If you were given a choice between a kilo of gold and two ounces of gold you would hopefully take the kilo. But what if you only had the numbers without any qualifiers? You can have a one of gold or a two of gold. Well heck, I would take the "two of gold". I am sure tht they made the same sort of error in measuring pig DNA.

YoursTrue

Pigs I'm not so sure about (we share a lot anatomically with pigs though). But humans and chimps share a percentage of DNA.

All that proves is we share the same branch on the tree if life. Mammals typically.
I gave the link to the information. But it could be wrong. So again, my question is if we share dna with each other (humans) and pigs. The site says yes, we do. And it qualifies how much. But there is a stop gap, something is missing in the calculation between humans and chimps at least. And, of course, other animals.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm not interested in that, besides, I might find out I come from royalty. That would be terrible! The reason I'm asking is that someone asked on another board if Scotsmen and Irishmen shared some DNA). Don't humans share (some) DNA?
I am descended from Austrian royalty on my mother's side. If several hundred people die, I get...nothing.

Are you in some doubt that humans share DNA with humans? Why would you question that?

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
OK, thanks. So then only some genes are shared, right? And of course, a great percentage of dna is said to be shared between humans and chimps and pigs, right?
How much DNA do humans share with other animals? (thednatests.com)
Don't be shocked, but human DNA is transmitted to other humans through sex. If an Arctic Inuit marries an Australian aboriginal person, their DNA can mix and produce viable offspring.

Humans are mammals. Pigs are mammals. There would be some DNA similarity, though I have no idea how much. But not enough for a mixed marriage to be successful if both want children.