• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just want to know if humans share DNA

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I gave the link to the information. But it could be wrong. So again, my question is if we share dna with each other (humans) and pigs. The site says yes, we do. And it qualifies how much. But there is a stop gap, something is missing in the calculation between humans and chimps at least. And, of course, other animals.

Ok? Where you going with this?

We Never Know

No Slack
OK, thanks. So then only some genes are shared, right? And of course, a great percentage of dna is said to be shared between humans and chimps and pigs, right?
How much DNA do humans share with other animals? (thednatests.com)
Humans and pigs...
Many of these shared physical traits are not the result of a close ancestry, but rather of convergent evolution—that is, selection of the same characteristics by a common environment.

But what about on the genetic level? Well, that might be a different story. Comparison of the full DNA sequences of different mammals shows that we are more closely related to mice than we are to pigs. We last shared a common ancestor with pigs about 80 million years ago, compared to about 70 million years ago when we diverged from rodents.

A new study has revealed a potential hidden evolutionary link between pigs and primates. Genetic elements called SINES (short interspersed elements) are usually considered to be ‘junk DNA’, left behind by marauding viruses. However, these elements may hold additional clues about our mammalian evolutionary history.

In humans, the most common SINE is the Alu transposable element, which is derived from the small cytoplasmic 7SL RNA. The latest research has revealed that 7SL RNA is also the original source for a common swine SINE. Just a fluke? Unlikely, according to researchers, who think that this SINE must have had a common origin. This suggests that there are close parallels between the evolution of this element in pig and primate lines, whereas it died out in the rodents.

The similarities between humans and pigs

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
I gave the link to the information. But it could be wrong. So again, my question is if we share dna with each other (humans) and pigs. The site says yes, we do. And it qualifies how much. But there is a stop gap, something is missing in the calculation between humans and chimps at least. And, of course, other animals.
I haven't been able to find a reference providing an estimate of the similarity between human and swine genomes. I would think that 98% similarity is not likely. The swine genome is smaller than the human genome and pigs have fewer chromosomes.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So for all your possible experts on the human body, do you say that humans share DNA?

Yes.

And with everything living, for example we share around 50% of our DNA with a banana and about 35% with a daffodil