• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just venting....

Kcnorwood

The last few days I have been away because my wife's grandfather passed away.
To get a better idea of how close she was to him her grandparents raised her more then anyone else did.

Today was the funeral yesterday was the viewing. The day before yesterday they all agreed that they wanted to place a christian flag on his casket ( no big deal)

One of my wife's aunt went into a rant about how this nation was bulit on christiany out of the blue. I let it go.

One of my wifes aunt is gay the aunts I'm talking about are twins.
There has always been some things between the two of them so they have not had much to do with the other.

Yesterday, one of the preacher's came to the house where everyone was. The gay aunt had a gay pride sticker on her car. The preacher went into a frenzy about how being gay was a sin in Gods eyes.

Today, was the funeral it was very beautiful & very emotional for all of us, most of the family it seems call themselves christian.

There were two preachers at this one because my wifes uncle was also raised by by them & he was from his church.

Instead of talking about how then man lived & how everyone loved him it became a sermon about why everyone should get right with God.

I have admitted I have some problems with christiany in the past & that I'm working on them & these are some of the reasons why. But why take someone's death & use it to tell people that if do not get right with God they are going to hell? Why jump into a rant about how this country is based on when we're supposed to be there to honor this beautiful man?

I really don't expect a response to this I'm just ranting here.....:foot:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
That was most certainly an inappropriate time for that sort of thing.

I can sort of understand it; death awakens our sense of mortality and those who believe so probably start thinking more about "getting right with God." But let people mourn or celebrate (whichever works for them) the deceased without bringing up sensitive issues that can bring further hurt to some.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I'm sorry for your loss, you have my good thoughts.

Some people just don't have a lot of people skills, they say things at inappropriate times simply because they either don't know any better or don't realize that it's the wrong situation.

Someone elses death makes us realize that we're going to die too, and a lot of people aren't very comfortable with that thought. The prospect of Heaven is a nice silver lining to it all, and though your family may be very Christian, reiterating can help them realize that the deceased is in a better place with God.

I'm not sure if that's what happened, just speculating.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Sorry for your loss, Kcnorwood. I think Guitar's Cry is right when he says that death often 'awakens our sense of mortality,' causing us to think more about 'getting it right with God.' However, I too feel that going off on a tangent about it is inappropriate for a funeral service.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
Kcnorwood said:
To get a better idea of how close she was to him her grandparents raised her more then anyone else did.

Today was the funeral yesterday was the viewing. The day before yesterday they all agreed that they wanted to place a christian flag on his casket ( no big deal)

One of my wife's aunt went into a rant about how this nation was bulit on christiany out of the blue. I let it go.

There has always been some things between the two of them so they have not had much to do with the other.

Yesterday, one of the preacher's came to the house where everyone was. The gay aunt had a gay pride sticker on her car. The preacher went into a frenzy about how being gay was a sin in Gods eyes.

Today, was the funeral it was very beautiful & very emotional for all of us, most of the family it seems call themselves christian.

There were two preachers at this one because my wifes uncle was also raised by by them & he was from his church.

Instead of talking about how then man lived & how everyone loved him it became a sermon about why everyone should get right with God.

I have admitted I have some problems with christiany in the past & that I'm working on them & these are some of the reasons why. But why take someone's death & use it to tell people that if do not get right with God they are going to hell? Why jump into a rant about how this country is based on when we're supposed to be there to honor this beautiful man?

Oh man! Don't get me started! The day is about the loved one, not their beliefs. I hate it when funerals turn into alter calls. One pastor I know spoke at the mother of a friend. He said, "For those of us in Christ this is not good bye but just see ya later.". Nice! On the day the family buries their mother you tell them if they don't accept Jesus they never get to see their mother again. What an a@@hat!

Mike182

Flaming Queer
there's a time and a place, i'm so sorry the day was not focused on his memory where it should have been...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Kcnorwood said:

No you're quite right; what with needing to support your wife at the time of death of someone who was more of a parent is one thing. To have to watch a whole deblacle of anti-gay sermonising and to have to listen to innapropriate readings at the funerl would frustrate and put anyone off.

I am so sorry; you make sure you help your wife during her grieving. Tell her we're thinking of her here, and I am so sorry that what should have been - as you say - a celebration of the life of a parent, was ruined by an over zealous Proselytizing Bible bashing preacher.:hug:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
BFD_Zayl said:
thats an example of one of the many ways to officially **** off a spirit.

Exactly! For a few days, the consciousness is still around the body at it's initial stage of transition. This part of the death process is vital to have good energy around the deceased and his or her loved ones!

My heart goes out to you Kcnorwood. I can only echo what Guitar's Cry stated that when the reality of death hits, it can bring radical awareness to the surface. This kind of energy only confuses or agitates the deceased and serves to impede his or her death process rather than support it.

Peace,
Mystic

ayani

KW- that is a tactless and trite misuse of the opportunity to say good words about the man. if one wanted to send such a message, one would better use a spam e-mail. a funeral or memorial service should be more focused on remembering and commemorating, creating a space to reflect and grieve. i don't agree with the approach either, and i'm sorry. :hug:

Kcnorwood

First of all thank you all that means alot to us.

Most of the time I'm the first one to spout off at the mouth but during the funeral so many people had showen up there to honor this man I was not about to disgrace him, in the short time I knew this man I loved him like he was my grandpa.

The same with my wife's aunt I wanted to reach up off my chair & nevermind the point is I didn't so for me that's a big step in the right direction, for once...:eek:

Again thank you all!

:hugehug:

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Kcnorwood said:

One. Please accept my condolences on your personal loss.
Been there, done that. It' ain't ever easy.

Two. Just what is a "Christian flag"? Got a picture of one?

Dolphin

Sorry about your loss:( however, at my catholic wedding, the priest gave a sermon about abortion:no: imagine that:confused:

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Dolphin said:
Sorry about your loss:( however, at my catholic wedding, the priest gave a sermon about abortion:no: imagine that:confused:

that is just disgusting.

what the hell is wrong with some ppl????

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
That was a terrible thing to do. The minister is suppose to comfort the grieving family, not preach to them. I am saddened by your loss and apologise on behalf of the asshat preacher. Please believe me when I say that was not the christian way to act.