• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just my thoughts on Lakshmi and Diwali

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Namaste forum,

I thought about worshiping Lakshmi on Diwali, and I also found a guideline how to do so, but to be honest, in my family, money has always been a source of conflict. Moreover, in Germany, there’s a certain guru named his ashram after Lakshmi, who’s making a comfy living out of religion, as his books and other merchandise are really expensive. Maybe I’m biased due to my upbringing but I just can’t get myself to biting the bullet.:D I read that Krishna’s act of liberating the 16,108 princesses is celebrated on the second day of Diwali, so I guess I’ll celebrate that instead. :) Wishing you all a nice time to celebrate.:rose:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste forum,

I thought about worshiping Lakshmi on Diwali, and I also found a guideline how to do so, but to be honest, in my family, money has always been a source of conflict. Moreover, in Germany, there’s a certain guru named his ashram after Lakshmi, who’s making a comfy living out of religion, as his books and other merchandise are really expensive. Maybe I’m biased due to my upbringing but I just can’t get myself to biting the bullet.:D I read that Krishna’s act of liberating the 16,108 princesses is celebrated on the second day of Diwali, so I guess I’ll celebrate that instead. :) Wishing you all a nice time to celebrate.:rose:

My youngest son has a cardboard book called 'Meet My Hindu Gods'(by Reena Purl and Mital Telhan). On Lakshmi's page, it says "Wealth can be anything...like money, toys, or even hugs!" This fits it best for me. I don't really feel called to compile wealth, but I try to remain grateful for what I have. When my oldest son was little, we definitely lived in poverty by US standards. My son was complaining about this. I told him to go into his room and count his toys and shoes, and make note of furniture. He did. He came back and I explained some children in the world had only one or two toys. He had a room full, and while they weren't fancy game systems, it was more than some kids had. Some kids have only one pair of shoes, or less, and they may be broken. Not all children have a bedroom to sleep in. By the end of the conversation, he was convinced he was rich.

When I honor Lakshmi, I try to do so from an attitude of gratitude for what I have, not necessarily the hope of compiling more. I do feel closest to her in the form of Sita, however. Her strength awes me.

Also, some folks(primarily in eastern India) honor Kali during Diwali instead. :) The second day of Diwali is also used to celebrate the death of Narakasura, who was killed by Krishna's wife, Satyabhama.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
My youngest son has a cardboard book called 'Meet My Hindu Gods'(by Reena Purl and Mital Telhan). On Lakshmi's page, it says "Wealth can be anything...like money, toys, or even hugs!" This fits it best for me. I don't really feel called to compile wealth, but I try to remain grateful for what I have. When my oldest son was little, we definitely lived in poverty by US standards. My son was complaining about this. I told him to go into his room and count his toys and shoes, and make note of furniture. He did. He came back and I explained some children in the world had only one or two toys. He had a room full, and while they weren't fancy game systems, it was more than some kids had. Some kids have only one pair of shoes, or less, and they may be broken. Not all children have a bedroom to sleep in. By the end of the conversation, he was convinced he was rich.

As I read the above, I was smiling and appreciate the thought pattern so much that I thought I'll add my observation here.

A parent, especially father, is bound by duty to show the way for a living (as a guide) and make sure the son is properly educated such that he can (also she can) make a successful living when grown-up.

But often these days, parents forget totally about moral upbringing of children, and are prone to fall into pure materialism. They do not necessarily say to their son and daughter that they have to be materialistic. But, comparing with other kids on their grades, while exclaiming that to be successful, they should only get an A+ every time, and next, make them all pursue only those graduate studies that would help them land covetous jobs with 6-figure salaries (against their interest, capability and inclination) are all cues that make children materialistic. Too sad this is the 'norm' these days. Even those who encourage devotion, are doing so with materialistic success as an end-result!

Finding self-satisfaction is a hard-to-see commodity these days. Many people even start to think that if children are satisfied, they will remain passive, complacent and not work hard enough. (Some misunderstandings on their part).

Surely, your idea of Lakshmi is worth appreciation. I too always thought of Lakshmi as not material wealth, but strength of character, being useful and such.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Adding to the choir of Ma Lakshmi being one of wealth of character.
Yes, we often invoke her blessings when looking for material wealth. I mean you know, Indians and their “shiny things” lol
But prosperity, at least in Dharmic terms, includes prosperity of spirit and love. In the Sai Baba community, (I think) there’s a common phrase I always encountered growing up. “My health is my wealth.” Roughly translated.

Sure one can invoke Ma Lakshmi’s blessings for material wealth. That’s fine. But in Dhamic paths there are always other deeper meanings to our invocations and prayers.

And one can seek prosperity in more ways than merely coins. Prosperity also means a loving household, with strong familial ties, healthy family members and a strong sense of fulfilling duty.

ajay0

Diwali is actually a day of physical austerity connected with cleaning the house thoroughly, filling it with fragrant and auspicious smells, putting all items in their proper places and getting rid of clutter.

Cleanliness, being neat and tidy is considered a physical austerity in the Gita.

It is also the study and imbibing of quality study and work habits related to prosperity, such as punctuality, precision, self-control, cultivation of ability, courteous behavior and so on, and getting rid of related vices. Cultivation of virtues is considered an excellent austerity by Krishna in the Mahabharatha.

Anandamayi Ma had also taught that good work habits essential for prosperity also helps in spiritual development.

'If one cultivates the habit of doing everything well, there is fair promise of ones doing likewise on the spiritual path.' ~ Anandamayi Ma

These are all ways of celebrating Diwali.

Maybe I’m biased due to my upbringing but I just can’t get myself to biting the bullet.

Imo, it is not money that is the issue. It is a lack of a higher state of consciousness characterized by virtuous conduct.

A knife can be used by a surgeon for surgery to save lives and a murderer for the opposite. Money, like the knife is innocent in itself. It is the state of consciousness of the one who wields it that matters.

Diwali can also be seen as a metaphor for lighting the lamp within through austerity, study and imbibing of wisdom. Buddha had stated that one must be a light unto oneself.

Wishing you all a nice time to celebrate.:rose:

Thank you. Wish you the same. :rose: :)

Last edited: