• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just Making **** Up

Wandering Monk

It struck me today looking at all the faith descriptions of various posters how religion is completely subjective. People can just make up religions to suit their personalities and desires.

Last edited by a moderator:

leov

It struck me today looking at all the faith descriptions of various posters how religion is completely subjective. People can just make up religions to suit their personalities and desires.

This just reinforces the fact that it is all make believe.
May be you missed the point that religion should be 'subjective'?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Its more serious than that, many read the "holy" book they have chosen then make whatever fantasies that meet their longing from the stories they read.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
May be you missed the point that religion should be 'subjective'?

I think thats essentially what he said

Subjective :based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
You seemingly forget the issue that different cultural religions can be compared and commonly recognized to be very similar and as such they initially represent COLLECTIVE AND NATURAL MATTERS and not personal matters.

Having said this, unfortunately the ancient genuine religion is misinterpreted and misused by priests and politicians for personal and national purposes.

amorphous_constellation

This just reinforces the fact that it is all make believe.

Why not look at that optimistically? Whatever one is into, be it computers, motorcycles, artwork, or cars, most people value the updates they receive to be highly effective. Why are you and others bent on saying that religions must always be older than rocks? You can update and redesign it like anything else. Who gave you rules that state otherwise? Would it help if I pointed out that we are actually still in the process of figuring out why we are here, that nobody before now really had a 100 percent grip on what is going on here. Yes, they often wanted 'solidity' and so they made religions they said were true. But maybe they only said that because they were insecure. Embrace the notion that you can't know it all, and gain spiritual dynamism

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Why not look at that optimistically? Whatever one is into, be it computers, motorcycles, artwork, or cars, most people value the updates they receive to be highly effective. Why are you and others bent on saying that religions must always be older than rocks? You can update and redesign it like anything else. Who gave you rules that state otherwise? Would it help if I pointed out that we are actually still in the process of figuring out why we are here, that nobody before now really had a 100 percent grip on what is going on here. Yes, they often wanted 'solidity' and so they made religions they said were true. But maybe they only said that because they were insecure. Embrace the notion that you can't know it all, and gain spiritual dynamism

Except that all the religions have generally just caused divisions as much as they have brought people into believing whatever they deem as true.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Of course I agree.

But, for the religious, there is a way out of this quandary: If one of these religions were the true religion, and if you happened (by God's grace) to be an adherent of that true religion, then the others would be false.

But sadly, if you could disprove your religion with other evidence and arguments, well... It's probably best to not attempt this.

leov

So best not go into any church (or whatever), where conformity (to whatever religion) might be the sermon expressed?
It is an individual choice. I do not go into any church, for example, my wife is regular in the church.

Last edited:

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Because it is individual evolution of consciousness.
I wonder what you mean by this? I guess there is more to say about this, that you have a worldview about reality and consciousness and such. Please share.

Biological organisms evolve, and I suppose in a way, cultures evolve too. But does consciousness evolve? If you mean that brains capable of generating consciousness evolve, I agree.

And I suppose you could say that the universe evolves (this is probably stretching the meaning of the term) because it has changed over time, with stars and planets appearing from swirling dust and gas.