• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jussie Smollett Hate Crime

PureX

Veteran Member
Chicago police say there was no report of the MAGA reference and don't know why it was included in media reports.
It was included because the victim said it happened, and no one else reported it because it was 3am.
Could it be that controversy sells and that some media groups are willing to peddle it regardless of what social impact it might have?
That's certainly why the papers reported it. But that's no reason to disregard the victim's assertion. If it weren't a hate crime, and the victim weren't a famous gay man, the papers probably wouldn't have reported on it at all. Nevertheless, the crime would have occurred.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm not a Trump supporter. I'm not fan of anyone who wears a Red MAGA hat.

That being said, I had serious doubts about this incident when I first heard it.

Smollett shows no signs of a serious attack other than a small cut. There are no signs of skin damage from the bleach that was ostensibly used.

The thing that sent my skeptometer into the red was that 45 minutes after the alleged attack he still had the rope around his neck. Then, it was reported, that he was on the phone with his director during the attack.

If this was a carefully planned out attack, the attackers would have had to know where he was going to be that evening and that he would be leaving alone. That way, they would have been able to have bleach and rope with them for the attack.
He's out late at a club, in public. He's known for both playing a gay man on TV and coming out as a gay man in reality. A couple of inebriated bigots see him there at the club and decide to screw with him when he leaves. But he doesn't leave for a while, so they have lots of time to think up what they could do to him using whatever stuff they happen to have in their car. Bleach from the laundromat, some rope from whatever, and two idiots with a few too many drinks in them.

I can very easily see it happening.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
A lot doesn't seem to be adding up with the currently available details. If it turns out that he faked it, he just ****ed his reputation and career, and for what? It also does a great disservice to real victims who'll have to deal with skepticism due to "the boy who cried wolf".

ecco

Veteran Member
He's out late at a club, in public.
The latest I heard was that he left his apartment, went to a Subway (food) and was assaulted on his way back home.

He's known for both playing a gay man on TV and coming out as a gay man in reality. A couple of inebriated bigots see him there at the club and decide to screw with him when he leaves. But he doesn't leave for a while, so they have lots of time to think up what they could do to him using whatever stuff they happen to have in their car. Bleach from the laundromat, some rope from whatever, and two idiots with a few too many drinks in them.

So can I...
  • Bigoted Idiot 1: Did you see how bright my shirts came out?
  • Bigoted Idiot 2: Yes I did. Is that a new bleach you are using.
  • Bigoted Idiot 1: Oh, yes. It's so good that I always carry some in the car with me. But my trunk is so full of stuff, I tied a rope around the container so that I can just pull on the rope to find it.
  • Bigoted Idiot 2: Oh, look,l there's that queer guy. Quick grab the bleach and the rope and let's go get him.
  • Bigoted Idiot 1: OK, but I don't want to waste too much of my bleach.

Shad

Veteran Member
A lot doesn't seem to be adding up with the currently available details. If it turns out that he faked it, he just ****ed his reputation and career, and for what? It also does a great disservice to real victims who'll have to deal with skepticism due to "the boy who cried wolf".

Keep in mind there is a difference between unproven and fake. If the case is the former he can still maintain the claim and bank on it just like Ford did. For damage to be done within his own industry and peers it must be proven to be an outright hoax. Even some will still believe him regardless.

*The above is not my opinion on the case itself.*

Last edited:

Nous

Premium Member
This is a very sad occurrence. I keep asking myself: Why, why, why? But, then, those pursuing a career as actor/musicians, and having been recently handed a degree of success (though I hadn't heard of him or the TV show before this), are not the paradigm of mental stability. His acts certainly should not be considered to reflect upon the integrity of the groups that he may belong to.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This is a very sad occurrence. I keep asking myself: Why, why, why? But, then, those pursuing a career as actor/musicians, and having been recently handed a degree of success (though I hadn't heard of him or the TV show before this), are not the paradigm of mental stability. His acts certainly should not be considered to reflect upon the integrity of the groups that he may belong to.
One hypothesis I heard was to protect his job. If he was a victim of such an attack it would be hard for his show to fire him.

Nous

Premium Member
One hypothesis I heard was to protect his job. If he was a victim of such an attack it would be hard for his show to fire him.
One would think he would be more careful and clever in his plan, in doing things that could and certainly would be so readily discovered. The purchase of the rope, the acquaintance, the multitude of videos! He's going straight to that TV show about dumb criminals!

esmith

Veteran Member
Well it now appears that Mr Smollett's case is being presented to a grad jury and the charges will be against him. The two brothers in the case will testify.
Seem's that he is no longer willing to talk to the police. This does not bode well for Mr Smmollett and gives a black eye to numerous news sources, talk show personalities, and politicians. I won't mention any names, but I think most of us know who the guilty parties are.

Sources: Brothers expected to testify before grand jury in Jussie Smollett case

Nous

Premium Member

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This does not bode well for Mr Smmollett and gives a black eye to numerous news sources, talk show personalities, and politicians. I won't mention any names, but I think most of us know who the guilty parties are.
I agree.
Same with the dufouses who screeched about the teens in Washington DC, and their "he stalked and harassed a Native elder war vet!".
But I see the same thing happening, on steroids, with the Trump supporters. They are even more able to swallow lies. Trump lies a lot! Big lies! And he is not just some blogger or second rate "journalist", he's president. So when people repeat his lies over and over, it's a much bigger deal than some internet idiots clutching their pearls over Smollet. Or an incident in a WalMart. Or the infamous "MAGA teens".
It matters a lot more when Trump does things, and FOX(America's most important news source) repeats and amplifies it.
Tom

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
What could possibly be wrong with being outraged by what seemed to be a legitimate hate attack, now that it appears it wasn't it doesn't make being outraged at the original report wrong in any way. Just Mistaken, by no fault of their own.

sooda

Veteran Member
He's out late at a club, in public. He's known for both playing a gay man on TV and coming out as a gay man in reality. A couple of inebriated bigots see him there at the club and decide to screw with him when he leaves. But he doesn't leave for a while, so they have lots of time to think up what they could do to him using whatever stuff they happen to have in their car. Bleach from the laundromat, some rope from whatever, and two idiots with a few too many drinks in them.

One of them was Smollett's trainer but he didn't identify him, Squirrely story.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What could possibly be wrong with being outraged by what seemed to be a legitimate hate attack, now that it appears it wasn't it doesn't make being outraged at the original report wrong in any way. Just Mistaken, by no fault of their own.
You mean, like, when all those people were outraged by a President that was born in Kenya? Not eligible to be president, under the Constitution?
"by no fault of their own"?
Is that what you mean?
Tom

esmith

Veteran Member
You mean by not having any evidence that the incident was true.
Why even ABC had doubts.
https://pagesix.com/2019/02/19/abc-staffers-doubted-jussie-smolletts-alleged-attack-story/
Guess you leap before you jump maybe.

Now the FBI is getting involved with the possibility that Mr. Smollette was the author of the hate letter.
FBI Investigating Whether Jussie Smollett Involved in Sending Hate Letter to Himself